RECOMMENDED: Cheap Wine

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: RECOMMENDED: Cheap Wine

Postby JITW » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:25 pm

I just bought a case of this

https://buymangria.com/

"As a nightly consumer of red wine, I was shocked one evening to find I had just half a glass left in the bottle. So I did what any decent alcoholic, ex-con, American would do-I went to the fridge, I went to the liquor cabinet, I poured, mixed and measured. Thus Mangria was born." - Adam Carolla

Now you too can enjoy Adam Carolla's signature beverage. Combining red wine, grape vodka, and the smooth sweet flavors and aromas of plum, cherry, blackberry, orange and citrus, Mangria is great for any occasion from appetizers, to backyard barbeques, to midnight cocktails. And with 20.9% alcohol it has the kick any real man needs in his drink.

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 am

Christ almighty...Adam Carolla selling man themed man wine.

The weird thing about the internet is the perpetuation of Adam Carolla. He would have ended years ago without it or been playing the country fair circuit warming up the crowd for Glass Tiger or something.

Back when he was just starting out and you had the chance to see him or Chris Rock or Bill Hicks on TV or live you would always pick Rock or Hicks or Hedberg, or Wright or pretty much anyone.

Like Classic Rock....Here is Pink Floyd....Here is Deep Purple...Here is King Crimson...here is Black Sabbath....here is Blue Oyster Cult....and here is Uriah Heep.

Adam Carolla is Uriah Heep. Perhaps tolerable when there is nothing better on or perhaps a few good moments but mostly it has been a 25 year career of being unmemorable ...except for his internet fan base.

If Uriah Heep was around during the internet there would be people actually seeking them out and damning those who did not appreciate their work outside of "Wizard" or "Easy Living" and giving them money.

They would even get a shot at a good show until marketing surveys found that they were roundly hated and then let go allowing the show to prosper (Top Gear USA...Carolla stunk it up and it was actually saved by a pudgy, bearded slightly effeminate man..now on Season 3.)

I am sure the wine is good but "Stealin'" good and not "Smoke on the Water" good.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JITW » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 am

I like his podcast, funny shit, and professionally done like a radio show unlike most podcatsts where some dude rambles on and on and on

I made the Mangria from his recipe before he has someone produce it, it is pretty dang good, but I am just a working class knuckle-dragger who has a job outdoors so I am hardly a connoisseur of wine and other fine things unlike you

Believe it or not he has sold like 20K bottles in pre-order already, not bad for internet famous

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 am

probably tastes like bad cough medicine. ought to come in a plain brown paper bag. pass the bottle, please!
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 am

I've been trying $10-$15 Zins lately. I like the Coppola Zinfandel.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 am

AztecDave wrote:probably tastes like bad cough medicine. ought to come in a plain brown paper bag. pass the bottle, please!

Yeah, did he just try to reinvent Mad Dog?
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 pm

If you like red, give Cabernet Franc (Cab Franc) a swirl. Some find it a tad harsh but the Franc grape is an awesome go as a CF.
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Its not like the working class or peasant class get together for a party and say "What kind of food and drink should we have?" and then have the rabble with their torches shout "CRAP! What else? We are working class and anything of higher quality would be seen as putting on airs!"

Perhaps it will be the rabble that demand Sumptuary Laws as a suitable demarcation of class.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 pm

2 Charlie wrote:If you like red, give Cabernet Franc (Cab Franc) a swirl. Some find it a tad harsh but the Franc grape is an awesome go as a CF.

Nope, even the Cabernet Sauvignon is a bit harsh for me.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Understood, do you appreciate the Pinot then? Cab Franc is truly acquired and appreciated as it is a schoolyard bully of the palate grape that needs to be beat down once and awhile to tame it.
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby ktrout » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 am

2 Charlie wrote:Understood, do you appreciate the Pinot then? Cab Franc is truly acquired and appreciated as it is a schoolyard bully of the palate grape that needs to be beat down once and awhile to tame it.

Yeah, a Pinot is fine for me. I prefer Zins or Merlot. I'm starting to figure out that when in doubt, pick the house red. It's usually a mellow blend.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 am

I rec this: The Wine Bible

Really well-written and informative, not snobby, but tries to get across the joy of trying new stuff and knowing a little bit about the science, history, and land behind it.

It's also super-cheap.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 am

Some time ago I did a couple's day with a friend of mine. One of the places we went to was DeRose Winery. The label on my bottle of Hollywood Red (the web site says it's "Zinfandel based") says Cienega Valley, but it's *cough* Hollister. Still, good stuff in the $25 range. They even have a small auto museum and use it as a theme on their bottles. Sipping it while browsing the web and listening to Rammstein. But it's well past 4:20.
I just got the Wine Bible but haven't cracked it open yet.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:00 pm

I have a couple wine apps on my iTalkything. Good info. Also a couple bartender guides, who would of thought drinking could be even more fun, almost like science with a hint of high brow drinking.
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm

I had this wine this weekend:

http://thehouseofglunz.com/pineaufranco ... ineau.aspx

I got it for only $14.00 so I will classify it as "cheap" but from the look of it I found a real bargain.

Quite good but you have to like cognac since that is what fortifies it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe