Wood inlays

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Wood inlays

Postby Kurt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:06 pm

I have an engraving attachment on my Dremel and I have some spare pieces of wood and a target piece of wood (actually an old coffee table) and I wanted to inlay it with something.

The traditional and cool thing would be to do a sulfur inlay because it can be melted at home but, I would likely make the whole building stink of rotten eggs and kill children with asthma, so that is out of the question. I was also thinking about smelting lead in my kitchen and doing a nice lead inlay and then varnish it while it is still shiny but ....melting lead. Kitchen. Well, you can see how this could be bad as well.

So the criteria would be:

1. being able to melt and pour it in my kitchen without it becoming a toxic dump.

2.I must be able to sand it with a dremel or by hand.

Any ideas?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Wood inlays

Postby gnaruki » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:02 pm

What kind of ventilation and windows do you have?

Maybe a semi-closed circuit system.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 am

gnaruki wrote:What kind of ventilation and windows do you have?

Maybe a semi-closed circuit system.

a fan in one window.

So I am not going to do sulfur no matter what. I have even heard that doing it outside is deadly on the lungs.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 am

I learned some practices as a teenager. hmmmmmmmm. Lead is nasty, not for the city.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:25 am

I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:34 am

Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 pm

I remember back in shop class we got to melt down lead at low temps to cast stuff. It was awesome. The next day teacher screamed at me for not knowing how to braze and then didn't let me use the torches until i reread the manual.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:56 pm

This is what happens when people with way too much time on their hands buy a Dremel

Another Thought: I wonder how many firearms have been destroyed by Dremel's?

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:09 am

JITW wrote:This is what happens when people with way too much time on their hands buy a Dremel

Another Thought: I wonder how many firearms have been destroyed by Dremel's?

~JITW

Or when people with way too much time on their hands have had a dremel for the past ten years.

and "too much time on their hands" = "I don't get it"

I could not picture using a dremel on a firearm. No way could one hold even a diamond & carbide cutting disk long enough at 30,000 rpm to make any sort of modification that would not ruin a gun. Its best with aluminium but metal shoots out way too many sparks. I set the dust trapped in a window screen on fire once while cutting a bad screw out of a child-proof window.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:42 am

You can grind down your toenails with it. Be careful I nearly burned though one once.

Back on topic: Some wet sheets can trap lead vapors, but that is very jimmy rig. Duct tape, plastic sheeting, some dryer vent tubing, a small propane burner, some vessel to act as a crucible, Personally if I tried something like that I would dispose of everything that came in contact with the mini containment chamber. Human bodies confuse lead for calcium so if you have a calcium deficiency your body will absorb the Pb into your bones and then release it later into your bloodstream.

Do you have rooftop access at your place?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:02 am

gnaruki wrote:You can grind down your toenails with it. Be careful I nearly burned though one once.

Back on topic: Some wet sheets can trap lead vapors, but that is very jimmy rig. Duct tape, plastic sheeting, some dryer vent tubing, a small propane burner, some vessel to act as a crucible, Personally if I tried something like that I would dispose of everything that came in contact with the mini containment chamber. Human bodies confuse lead for calcium so if you have a calcium deficiency your body will absorb the Pb into your bones and then release it later into your bloodstream.

Do you have rooftop access at your place?

The roof is alarmed and it is in my lease that I am not to go on the roof and not to raise chickens or goats. I think I am going to pass on the lead inlay idea.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Rhah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:50 am

Kurt wrote:I could not picture using a dremel on a firearm. No way could one hold even a diamond & carbide cutting disk long enough at 30,000 rpm to make any sort of modification that would not ruin a gun. Its best with aluminium but metal shoots out way too many sparks. I set the dust trapped in a window screen on fire once while cutting a bad screw out of a child-proof window.

I use Dremels exclusively for altering 1911 frames. I've never screwed one up. I use sanding drums, never grinding bits. Then follow with Cratex bullets to smooth the surface before bead blasting.

"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 pm

I stand corrected then.

Good work.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Ya, Kurt. Doing hobbyist metallurgy besides soldering should be done in a garage at minimum.

You would probably have fun doing castings, its a multi-day process that only requires a few hours of work a day. I suppose you could mess around with wax ones in your current residence.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Kurt wrote:
I could not picture using a dremel on a firearm. No way could one hold even a diamond & carbide cutting disk long enough at 30,000 rpm to make any sort of modification that would not ruin a gun. Its best with aluminium but metal shoots out way too many sparks. I set the dust trapped in a window screen on fire once while cutting a bad screw out of a child-proof window.

Its sort of an inside joke in the firearms community about guys thinking they can be untrained gunsmiths as long as they have a dremel

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe