Whats up Flag?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Whats up Flag?

Postby flipflop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm

ROB is strictly an obituary poster nowadays

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Fansy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

you'll also see nowonmai get really excited every time he posts. i think he's even more obsessed with rob than he is with me
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 am

crotalus01 wrote:Whats up Mike? Long time no talk....
Wish that was an option but its not. I fly discounted, not free - discounted open jaw tickets are a little more expensive than normal full airfare. I am looking for a country that is centrally located where I can hit the neighbors for a couple of days each. Possibilities so far - Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique. Really not wanting to fly more than about 14 hours one way to maximize my time, so that leaves out most of Asia this trip (plus I have spent plenty of time all over Asia)...

Took me about 48 hours to get from my home in eastern WA state to finally land at Windhoek, Namibia....layovers in Seattle (4 ish) London (7 ish) and Jo'berg (5 ish). Although Namibia is well worth the effort to get too...South Africa might be less expensive than Namibia to travel through however. You might have better connections than what I can get from out here. I'd say Colombia and Ecuador would be excellent. Nice to hear from you after all this time!!!
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby svizzerams » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 am

Kurt wrote:
crotalus01 wrote:Unfortunately I never met RR3 in person...Wish I had but my $$ fell through for that BFC meetup.....
I think visiting Guayaquil might be a nice rememberance - as strange as that may seem...

I never met him there but he did stay with me in NYC a few times. If you remember the planning of the visit back then, I booked my tickets, flew to Guayaquil but the party was postponed so I headed straight to Quenca (worth a visit) and missed the town that he lived in which was Manta.

But my time in Guayaquil was good. I found it mellow and less criminal than Quito. Also cheap hotels in Quito do not have windows. It was the only time in my life where I was frightened of a hotel as the oxygen left at 3am and me and others ran to the lobby so we could breathe. But the Riena Victoria pub (reccomended by Jefe) is worth it, though it is in a skanky area and is one of those places where walking to and from the bar was not recommended by the bartender.

I liked Cuenca better because it was in the mountains and away from the malaria and humidity and had a less criminal elements.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 am

crotalus01 wrote:LOL I remember all that. I HATED the new format - especially the avatars and names being on the right instead of the left - hell I even hated the colors and fonts! Used to it now of course.

I remember that too. The green is a bit easier on the eyes than ye olde black bfc.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 am

Yeah thats whats so funny about familiarity - as much as I hated the (then) new format, if it switched back tomorrow I would be pissed....
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe