To circumcise or not to circumcise.... recommendations?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: To circumcise or not to circumcise.... recommendations?

Postby shivers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Dick cheese, also known as smegma, is a accumulation of sebum (not semen) and dead skin cells. If you learned how to wash your uncut cock, you don't have that problem. Smegma can also accumulate in the folds of the female external genetalia, but we don't slice those bits off of girls, do we?

Any woman who gets bent out of shape over an uncut cock is a shallow cunt who doesn't deserve to get stabbed by it.

Unless your religion tells you to do it, why bother?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, this is an interesting post.

I have no children, but if I did, I would be of the opinion to not cut.

The intelligence of nature (and evolution) > the intelligence of humans (and hocus pocus b.s. of associated beliefs).
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

el3so wrote:
grow up looking like some weird turtle neck dicked euro kid.
Must be some far-off planet where people mocking you for the way your penis looks, do not get called out as faggots.

And that's the other thing. I've spent eight years living outside the USA, and while I love my country and am enjoying being back a lot, I totally intend to spend a few more years or decades abroad. My husband also wants to live abroad someday, though he thinks it's impossible, and more impossible now. But I know tons of people who have done it with kids in tow, and unless I'm planning to move to Israel or Iran, FS Junior is going to be surrounded by uncut cock. So he'll stand out more for...erm... standing out more.

Anyway, the husband may be coming around. He's been asking his male friends with sons about it, and at least one (the hippy, of course) read him the riot act about genital mutilation and 20,000 nerve endings blah blah blah. Either way, it turns out that in Georgia the father has absolutely no say over whether or not a kid is circumcised. Which is a little bit weird, but I guess since it's a Jewish custom and your mom makes you Jewish, it makes sense. Or maybe because rapists have equal rights as fathers in Georgia, and they don't want a rapist to be able to come into the hospital, snatch the kid out of his victim's arms, and cut off part of its dick. Who knows. But for once, blatant sexism is working in my favor HAH hah.

EDIT: That said, I am listening to all of you gentlemen who say to cut it.... the decision hasn't been made yet. I just always thought circumcision was a crazy Jewish/Muslim thing like not showing your hair or whatever (since I'm female, it seems obvious that you'd want the whole dick intact, but I guess it's different when you own one) and never considered the opinions of pro-circumcision people who aren't fundie freaks. Now I kind of have to. So thank for the input, I am taking it in.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby lightstalker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Because uncircumcised cocks are ugly as fuck and prone to infection. Case closed. Anymore questions?
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby JITW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Why do people feel that they have to get married just because they got knocked-up?

Seriously, who started that idea and how did it practically become a rule

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Hey FS, congrats if you are happy , oh well if not. Any THC withdrawals ?
I say wait, and let the kid decide for himself when he's old enough to care if he wants to get it cut or not.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:36 am

shivers wrote:Smegma can also accumulate in the folds of the female external genetalia, but we don't slice those bits off of girls, do we?

I was going to make that exact same point. The foreskin is there for a reason and if it malfunctions it's an easy fix. The hygiene/infection issue is only really of relevance to people who don't bathe, although it seems that there may be a genetic predisposition, at least if you are a horse: "Males with white skin, such as Pintos and Appaloosas, are especially prone to smegma formation" (The Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook, my go-to guide for penis health advice.)

http://books.google.com.tw/books?id=QRCbHLC51aUC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=prone+to+smegma&source=bl&ots=lGMhTzzJZo&sig=7952VKQ94vqjjmiy4CMS_loMg8s&hl=en&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Then of course there is zipper trauma. More likely if uncut, but about a trillion times more painful if cut (I expect).

"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:54 am

JITW wrote:Why do people feel that they have to get married just because they got knocked-up?

Seriously, who started that idea and how did it practically become a rule

I don't think it's that common - I know lots of people with kids who didn't get married. But we were down to give it a try, because why not? If it doesn't work out, we'll just get divorced and try to stay friendly enough not to stress out the kid.

Even people who get married for all the right reasons get divorced sometimes. It's probably worse for the couples with really high expectations, too. When you go into it thinking, "Well, if this works out, awesome, if it doesn't we're no worse off than before," divorce might be less of a guilt-and-tears freakout than for the folks who spend $60,000 on the "most wonderful day of their lives," plaster the photos all over the place, get joint checking accounts, buy a house together, go to some church where they tell you divorce is a sin, pop out a couple of kids, THEN decide to untie the knot. I've seen those divorces and they can be really depressing, especially if they haven't paid off the wedding yet. Our wedding cost $67, and we've already made our money back in gifts. It's win-win.

And who knows, we've got more than four months to get our shit together before scarring the child for life with stupid fights, maybe it'll happen. The vast majority of our arguments revolve around what's on TV, anyway. If I live to be 150, I'll never understand the appeal of watching golf on television, that shit makes C-Span, dead air on C-Span, look exciting.

And that zipper photo is fucking horrible.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm

friendlyskies wrote:horrible

It's worth knowing about though; the diagram illustrates the two methods of releasing an unfortunate member from such an accident; arrow 1 depicts using tin snips or wirecutters to cut through the vertical metal piece of the zip itself (the central, mobile bit), after which you can slide the zip off, upwards, and detach the two halves, whereas arrow 2 depicts using strong scissors to cut through the zipper at a lower level and separate the halves that way. Forewarned is foreskinned.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:19 pm

coldharvest wrote:Would you let someone else decide what to do with your own vagina?.....didn't think so.
The obvious answer is let him decide when he gets older if it's all that important. Circumcision is nothing more
than a modified tribal sacrifice ritual to appease an imaginary yet still somehow misunderstood Sky God.
None of my kids had it done and you know they're all healthy and happy.

This^^^^

A friend of mine who is a doctor said something to me that really made sense and that was circumcision is never needed unless the type of parent having the kid might not know much about hygiene or anything else for that matter. Apparently uncut little dudes whose mothers are of questionable ability are prone to bladder infections (rare for boys).

He also said to ignore the anti-circumcision hype as well. Done in sterile conditions by a professional there is little to worry about. Might be that there is less "sensitivity" but he will still be able to think with it instead of his brain...and we all know that is what is important.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:31 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Our wedding cost $67, and we've already made our money back in gifts. It's win-win.

Lucky you, I don't think we got a single wedding present. My family was on the wrong side of the planet and hers were still shell-shocked that she'd deign to marry anyone, ever.

Golf on TV? A good walk spoiled once, spoiled again. How can life be so un-precious as to dwindle it away watching some numpty whack a ball around the countryside? Sport on TV is the male equivalent of the soap opera, vicarious living and success that amounts to fuck all. Take away the TV and you have to succeed for real to get your jollies. TV is a shitty habit, even booze is better for you, and more conducive to creativity. Seriously, shoot your television dead and then see how you interact as a couple. Sounds like you live in a pretty interesting part of the world, exploring it sounds fun and showing a young'un around it would be even more enjoyable.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:11 am

One of the reasons I'm glad I had a girl :-) I didn't want to know if I was having a girl or boy so the decision my husband and I made at the time was he could decide, since he owned and operated the equipment. Thinking at the time was usually if the dad was circimcised - circumcise the kid, if not - don't, as looking different than dad might cause anxiety in the kid. I'm glad I had a girl. Personally I lean a bit more toward NOT having the procedure - must be there for a reason (although there is that pesky appendix that might negate that consideration). Oddly, he wasn't circumcised and was leaning toward perhaps circumcising the child if it was a son because he said that the foreskin can "rip" (ewwww - that sounds terrible) - apparently he had that happen. So like I said, I left it up to him to decide one way or the other.

There is this from the American Academy of Pediatrics which I heard debated on BBC last week as well:

To circumcise or not to circumcise, that is the question that many parents of newborn baby boys have to ponder. Now, the American Academy of Pediatrics have released a new policy endorsing circumcision:

"There is clear evidence that supports the health benefits of circumcision," said Susan Blank, who led the 14-member task force that formulated the new policy being published in the journal Pediatrics.

The statement, and accompanying technical report, marks the first revision of the organization's position since 1999, when the academy backed away from circumcision. At that time, the group, which represents about 60,000 pediatricians nationwide, concluded that there was no clear evidence for or against circumcising newborns. The group affirmed that position in 2005.

Since then, the popularity of circumcision in the United States has declined. Only about 56 percent of newborn males are circumcised.

The academy's task force spent seven years combing through the latest research, analyzing more than a thousand studies. Their conclusion?

For starters, Blank says, circumcision helps baby boys pretty much immediately.

"The health benefits of male circumcision include a drop in the risk of urinary tract infection in the first year of life by up to 90 percent," she says.

But there's a much bigger reason to do it, Blank said. Circumcised males are far less likely to get infected with a long list of sexually transmitted diseases.

"It drops the risk of heterosexual HIV acquisition by about 60 percent. It drops the risk of human papillomavirus [HPV], herpes virus and other infectious genital ulcers," she says.

Probably in the end it is about 6 of one half a dozen of the other in terms of costs vs benefits. I am inclined toward the notion that it is their body and they should choose themselves. There are the extreme views such as those that are convinced that it constitutes mutilation and scars them for life - I don't buy that, but have heard men discuss feeling resentment that the choice was made for them. It is however more painful a procedure at an older age. Whether it is a panacea for prevention of global pandemics....??? I know that the studies do indicate some health benefits, but I am not sure if the current flip on the topic by the American Academy of Pediatrics is to be in alignment with the WHO recommendations for the third world where HIV rates are very high. The studies indicate a benefit by tossing around statistics- but it would be more useful to state the actual rate of prevention of urinary tract infections in boys instead of "a decrease of 90%". Is it 90% of an actual incidence of .0025% for example? The statistics are not all that useful in the recommendation. 90% of what actual rate? 60% of what actual rate...etc? How many boys do we have to circumcise to prevent 1 urinary tract infection? One case of HIV? Now that is useful information. If the rate was 1 of 2 that is significant and I'd tilt toward doing the procedure. If it is 1 in 500 or 1000 - then that is not a good reason to snip. If the odds are low for occurence then I'd say the risk vs the benefit of circumcision is not worth it and let the man decide later what he prefers.

I am sorry that this is causing stress. I loved being pregnant and having a child was the best thing ever!!! And I was not even very maternal - but being a mom was great fun (still is actually) Cheers.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Seems to me that most part of the human body are there for a (good) reason, so I wouldn't cut anything off without medical necessity. I believe circumcision (or some milder surgery) if required (or recommended) for some boys due to phimosis, but if that situation arises a doctor will certainly alert you and advise you accordingly. As for the hygiene argument, no boy needs circumcision. He needs caring and solid advice at the right age from his mother (which, reading your careful thoughts here, I am confident he will get) plus water and soap.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:24 pm

It's a quandary. The hubby has basically said that it's my call, but he'd snip it if it were up to him. Hmph. And I keep finding lots of pro-circumcision stuff that's very convincing. I always figured having a boy would be easier, just because they have more leeway in life - they don't have to be as attractive, intelligent, or ambitious to succeed, or be judged by really stupid shit like how long their skirts are or whatever. Not that I'm blaming society for being unfair, at least not right this minute, but it's not like you have to explain to a little boy about how fashion magazines are photoshopped so you don't have to look like that, but at the same time, don't get fat, or where the fine line between "slut" and "nerd" is, and how to walk it. BUT. Yeah. No one is debating cutting a baby girl's appendix out because it has a 2% chance of exploding or whatever.

Hmph.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:45 pm

friendlyskies wrote:It's a quandary. The hubby has basically said that it's my call, but he'd snip it if it were up to him. Hmph. And I keep finding lots of pro-circumcision stuff that's very convincing. I always figured having a boy would be easier, just because they have more leeway in life - they don't have to be as attractive, intelligent, or ambitious to succeed, or be judged by really stupid shit like how long their skirts are or whatever. Not that I'm blaming society for being unfair, at least not right this minute, but it's not like you have to explain to a little boy about how fashion magazines are photoshopped so you don't have to look like that, but at the same time, don't get fat, or where the fine line between "slut" and "nerd" is, and how to walk it. BUT. Yeah. No one is debating cutting a baby girl's appendix out because it has a 2% chance of exploding or whatever.

Hmph.

I wouldn't stress over it, I spent alot of mental real estate worrying about all kinds of parenting related stuff until I saw the Time magazine cover with the Yoga Instructor with the 12 year old fat kid with her boob in his mouth. That is what obsessing about parenting strategies gets you. Either way your child will be ok. Alot of kids live with foreskin and do not die of dick cheese related incidents and the clipped kids don't get nerve damage or whatever. There are so many real things to stress about. My son isn't circumcised because it just isn't done in Thailand, but soon they will be back with me in the states and maybe there will be some issues then, but life is just a bunch of issues anyway. Luckily you have a bit of time to figure out, but once the baby is born there is so much other stuff going on that I bet it might seem a little less important either way.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe