Hawaii Honeymoon

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Hawaii Honeymoon

Postby Osiris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey yall,

I'm headed to Hawaii for my honeymoon this summer. I don't know the first thing about Hawaii other than it's a)supposedly beautiful, b)expensive, c)a volcanic island chain, and d)not part of the lower 48.

I thought about posting this in the travel forum, but I didn't feel like it was exotic enough.

Anyways, anybody have some favorite spots in Hawaii? Must see/do stuff? Places to avoid like the plague? Any help is appreciated.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Re: Hawaii Honeymoon

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 pm

I hear the King Kamehameha Club is a good place to chill.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Athena » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 pm

I really enjoyed the Kalalau Trail. It is a nice, but long and at times challenging, hike to a truly spectacular beach with a two-tiered waterfall. It is on Kauai. It is the only place I've encountered a hammerhead shark, which was cool. Camp there and make the most of your vacation dollar in Hawaii. The lower waterfall is used for showers, and they do have composting lavs, so although primitive, it is not stinky, uncomfortable, rustic camping.

I will add that I would rank the beach as my second favorite beach in the world after Easter Island's with the Maoi.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 am

I like the Big Island - partly because it is big - but it has more diversity than the other islands and has Volcano National Park - which I thought was pretty cool. Also has the observatories on Mauna Kea. I especially like the transition zones between the wet side and arid side of the island on the slopes of the big mountains (Parker Ranch). I'm not keen on Honolulu - too much like a big city - but the other side of the Oahu is supposed to be quite nice. I haven't been to the islands in a while and understand that there has been a lot of construction on the north end of the Big Island. Na Pali Coast of Kauai is also supposed to be superb.

BTW - congrats on the nuptials....Hawaii is romantic :-)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby gnaruki » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 am

Tourist central is Oahu and Maui. Really your options are budget dependent, some spots can appear cheaper than reality.

Molokai I hear is sweet. I've been to some docks there once for an hour. Then I drove a boat back to Oahu, so my experience isn't very helpful.

But the North side of Oahu might be worthwhile. Waikiki/Honolulu-land probably isn't up your alley. And typically Honolulu international is the cheapest flight to Hawaii. So I'm guessing you're feeling out Oahu first.

One more thing. Have you considered the Cook Islands? My friend had his honeymoon there and had a great time.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm thinking the plan is spend 3 days on one island, 4 days on another.

Thanks for the suggestions yo!
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe