Mouse Infestation

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Mouse Infestation

Postby Kurt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I got one.

My 16 year old cat has killed two of them but really that is akin to an old man acidentally tripping a mugger with his cane..he just is not into doing it. One he ate and then spent the whole day puking in the bathtub (I am lucky my cat goes to the bathtub to vomit...very easy to clean) and the other one he just spent time tossing it into the air. If my late tabbycat was still alive she would have turned my study into Mouse-schwitz.

But there are more.

I am off to get some steel wool, spackle and putty to seal up any entrances. I have four snappy traps filled with peanut butter and that has killed one already.

Any tips? I hate sticky traps because they get their sticky on everything it seems but I do like the way they make mice suffer, I tried peppermint oil but I swear to god I now just have a mice with fresh breath running around like they own the place.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Mouse Infestation

Postby ktrout » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Go to an adoption center and get a younger, more vigorous cat? My neighbor has a sweet little momma outdoor cat that's a mass murderer.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Rig up an airgun with a night vision sight and make it a sport. Once, when very bored and living in the sticks, with a rat infestation in my attic I spent many a happy hour up there with a maglite gaffa taped to an airgun. In the UK for a teenager that's practically big game hunting.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 pm

nowonmai wrote:Rig up an airgun with a night vision sight and make it a sport. Once, when very bored and living in the sticks, with a rat infestation in my attic I spent many a happy hour up there with a maglite gaffa taped to an airgun. In the UK for a teenager that's practically big game hunting.

Bleh! I would love that more than anything..except for maybe watching a ferret hunt them in the fold out sofa

But

The best gun for killing small things that creep into your home is illegal in NYC. Why? because it is a hand held pellet gun.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/1377C

The one I had as a kid was actually wood and probably is still providing can killing fun to this day somewhere (lost it in a yard sale my parents had I was in college)

Single shot, lead pellets at about 650fps would be the perfect addition to an apartment and much more useful than a real firearm for actually defending a household. But no. Bloomberg and others think that if I get this thing the first thing I am gonna do is rob a bank with a single shot pellet gun.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I loved that pistol! They used to make a detachable stock for it too. I think if I move back to the US I'm going to buy one.

Edit to add: Don't get those sonic repellent devices, my hearing sucks and I think they're loud.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I loved that pistol! They used to make a detachable stock for it too. I think if I move back to the US I'm going to buy one.

Edit to add: Don't get those sonic repellent devices, my hearing sucks and I think they're loud.

Its the ultimate small space shooter. The lead does not richchet (we used to shoot them in the winter in my friend's basement for hours on end with no safety gogs) and I miss mine more and more.

The next time I get out of NYC with a rental car I am buying one.

Sonic stuff sucks, as does peppermint oil. Mice love peppermint oil. The only benifit to it is that I too love the smell of peppermint oil so at least the place smells nice.

A snappy trap got one. Good old Victor traps + peanut butter. Unless you have an exceptional cat or terrier those are still the best.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Aryan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:28 pm

A BB gun with the plastic pellets kills mice, you may need to hit them more than once. but the first shot totally disorients them so it's easy to finish them. It was pretty funny seeing them fly when they get hit. Traps have never really worked for me, cunts always find a way to set it off and eat whatever was on them.

Chemical warfare beats other types of warfare. Lay plenty of poison, and keep refilling. The mice will be gone quick.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Aryan wrote:Traps have never really worked for me, cunts always find a way to set it off and eat whatever was on them.

"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Aryan wrote:A BB gun with the plastic pellets kills mice, you may need to hit them more than once. but the first shot totally disorients them so it's easy to finish them. It was pretty funny seeing them fly when they get hit. Traps have never really worked for me, cunts always find a way to set it off and eat whatever was on them.

Chemical warfare beats other types of warfare. Lay plenty of poison, and keep refilling. The mice will be gone quick.

I had no idea you could even buy plastic pellets for a BB gun. The copper or steel pellets are shit though and in a close environment with tiled floors it would just hit me, my wife or my semi-useless cat (he has killed two, but really I expect more from what is evolutionarily a mouse kiling machine) in the eye.

Maybe traps don't work for you brits because peanut butter is a relative rarity. Cheese sucks as bait, that is just for cartoons.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Aryan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Kurt wrote:
Aryan wrote:A BB gun with the plastic pellets kills mice, you may need to hit them more than once. but the first shot totally disorients them so it's easy to finish them. It was pretty funny seeing them fly when they get hit. Traps have never really worked for me, cunts always find a way to set it off and eat whatever was on them.

I had no idea you could even buy plastic pellets for a BB gun. The copper or steel pellets are shit though and in a close environment with tiled floors it would just hit me, my wife or my semi-useless cat (he has killed two, but really I expect more from what is evolutionarily a mouse kiling machine) in the eye.

Maybe traps don't work for you brits because peanut butter is a relative rarity. Cheese sucks as bait, that is just for cartoons.

You can get peanut butter everywhere, but I didn't use it because I hate the stuff. I used to use a piece of snickers bar, nothing beats it in my opinion.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Kurt wrote:
I am off to get some steel wool, spackle and putty to seal up any entrances.

Be careful with that. Potentially you could be sealing one in the wall.

My mouse invasion response is to clean everything thoroughly, set traps, then seal up any portals.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 am

Kurt wrote:my semi-useless cat (he has killed two, but really I expect more from what is evolutionarily a mouse kiling machine) in the eye.

It's a good thing he's not a small elderly dog. Then he'd be completely useless. Cat's are so beautifully evolved that we've barely had to mess with them. Still almost identical to their wild cousins such as the Kod Kod or the Cerval. Plus think of the double entendres! Such as: "Any man who hates cats hates pussy!"
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:08 am

ktrout wrote:
Kurt wrote:my semi-useless cat (he has killed two, but really I expect more from what is evolutionarily a mouse kiling machine) in the eye.

It's a good thing he's not a small elderly dog. Then he'd be completely useless. Cat's are so beautifully evolved that we've barely had to mess with them. Still almost identical to their wild cousins such as the Kod Kod or the Cerval. Plus think of the double entendres! Such as: "Any man who hates cats hates pussy!"

I've been reading a bit on our symbiotic relationship with cats and dogs.

Evolution -wise, dogs are just more interestingness. If you look at a Wolf as a blade a modern sheep dog or even a Pit Bull is practically a swiss army knife. We have made them into tools for our lives and we have evolved as well (to not kill them on sight and stuff like that)

cats on the other hand..all they evolved for is to have soft fur and sensitive skin. That's it. We like to pet them and they like to be pet and that is only after they get imprinted with humans fairly early in their lives, and other than that they are wild animals, which is amazing but all that tells us about ourselves is "we need furry things for our tactile needs that also kill mice and rats so we are less likely ro suffer from famine....amazing but not very interesting.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ktrout » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 am

I disagree completely. Dogs are for needy people who have to have something to worship them and maintain control over. I think cats are actually more communicative and expressive. They're also stalking and hunting or playing at stalking and hunting most of the time. Very entertaining and interesting and ultimately more useful.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:24 am

Kurt wrote:One he ate and then spent the whole day puking in the bathtub

Ha! When my sweet little Shadow kills something and eats it she keeps it down!
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe