Recommend An Adventure

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Recommend An Adventure

Postby gnaruki » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 am

Which is it?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:03 am

Didn't get the dream job, but I got two other offers. One of which would be awesome but would bring me to D.C., the other keeps me around the wife and pays much better. Neither offers adventure or travel, so I'm debating the options right now.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:44 am

Got hired to go to DC this morning, so uh... if anyone knows any cool shit in DC I guess now is the time to let me know!

I was kind of looking forward to going flat broke drinking Gallo in Xela again, but there'll be a next time (assuming I don't start the apocalypse).
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 am

Osiris wrote:(assuming I don't start the apocalypse).

hurry the fuck up
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ROB » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:58 am

I'M SOLD.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:01 am

ROB wrote:I'M SOLD.

When prophets speak it behooves one to listen
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Latin America! The economic collapse in Venezuela and Argentina have made two of the traditionally pricier countries much more affordable. Colombia is a little more touristy than it used to be, but still remains firmly off the beaten track, other than Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena (but you should still go). Brazil is a little bit cheaper because the Chinese commodities market has gone tits up, though Sao Paolo and Rio are still charging first-world prices. Bolivia and Paraguay remain ass cheap.

The Pacific Coast still has its shit together, more or less, so you can go to Ecuador, Peru or Chile to recover in tourist-friendly comfort.

My recommendation, if you'll have more time than money, is to fly into San José, Costa Rica (almost always the cheapest flights in Central America from the USA), then wend your way down the Caribbean Coast to Bocas del Toro. From there, Ferry Xpress has new service to Cartagena. I've never done it, but it's cheaper and faster than the usual drunken boats you hook up in Panama City. If you fly straight into South America, definitely go for LAN or some other SA airline, not Delta or whatever, the points are not worth the extra cost.

Of course, that's assuming you want to skip Mexico and most of Central America. Fly into Cancún (usually cheaper than DF) and go south if you want to do all that.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Woodsman » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:36 pm

You want an adventure? Follow the money. Now there's an adventure. After you get back and make a few million from selling your epic story, you could slap me a few benjamins (like maybe a couple thousand), K?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:13 am

skydive without a parachute.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe