Recommend An Adventure

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Recommend An Adventure

Postby Osiris » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:32 am

Assuming I don't get my dream job this summer, I'm looking at going on an awesome off-the-beaten track adventure.
I was thinking of making my from Turkey through the stans, but I thought I'd ask y'all for a good recommendation first. Any thoughts on where to go? Places you've been that you'd suggest trekking through?
Note: I generally tend to think of Western Europe as pretty boring.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Re: Recommend An Adventure

Postby gnaruki » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Starting in Istanbul and seeing how far East you can go would be cool. You could make it to Urumqi traveling at a casual pace if you have all summer.

Apparently it's nearly impossible to cross the border into Iran from Armenia with an American passport. Smoother to take a ferry from Baku across the Caspian to whatever the port city is in Turkmenistan. Look into how difficult it is to secure visa's in the 'stans. I looked into it awhile ago, my memory is a little foggy and the info would be four years old anyway.

What do you mean by trekking? If you're looking for good hiking, beautiful sights, friendly locals and old world charm check out Georgia.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Foreign adventure? Lot's of places in your backyard need seeing and lifting up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Ridge_Indian_Reservation
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Osiris » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 am

The badlands is the first place I ever traveled to. Fond memories of a car breaking down in the summer heat and being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Actually not a bad time.

I feel like getting into Iran would prevent me from getting a security clearance. Depending on where I go, I may be doing more hiking than not. We'll see.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:32 am

South Sudan. I heard its very adventurous at the moment. You can go dodge bullets with the owner here.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Azerbaijan is definitely interesting - I think a lot has changed since I was there in '07 - esp. in Baku (got spruced up for Eurovision) - The mountains there would be beautiful to see. Sadly the Caspian is rising and has been horrifically over fished, and polluted by petro-chemicals. The soviets were not kind to the environment there. Food is excellent and the architecture in Baku is beautiful (but don't take any pictures of any embassies - even if a building isn't clearly marked as an embassy, actually don't take any pictures of the lovely iron work on the balconies or nicely restored buildings, because it will turn out to be an embassy and policeman will accost you).
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby ktrout » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Peru? Macchu Pichu and all that.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm

how close do you want to come to dying? the hindu kush is always game. for a fun oriented adventure, at least it was 20 yrs ago, cruise thru central America. belize is (was ) the tits.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Osiris » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 pm

It is kinda tempting to go through Latin America til the money runs out and I have to go home.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am

Indian sub continent dude. Cheap as chips and every day you will see lots of cool shit. Plus, they have Mcdonalds if you get the shits. You will get the shits.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:41 am

Osiris wrote:It is kinda tempting to go through Latin America til the money runs out and I have to go home.

I'm not sure they had a long weekend in mind.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hunter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 pm

I don't know much about this particular track but I reckon it'd be great to buy a 4x4, an AK, and drive from East coast Russia to the West side.

It'd pay to not research the way to keep it more interesting.

I thought I may as well Putin my two cents (pardon the very witty pun)
Hunter

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:18 pm

My rule for every trip except for tryin to ascertain the price of local beer so I know how much money to bring.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:39 am

rickshaw92 wrote:

My rule for every trip except for tryin to ascertain the price of local beer so I know how much money to bring.

PRIORITIES!!!
Hunter

Postby Osiris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:40 am

rickshaw92 wrote:

I've heard worse strategies.

Interview for dream job next week. Gotta start planning soon either way.
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe