At Least Someone in This Town Has Some Good Sense....

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

At Least Someone in This Town Has Some Good Sense....

Postby SRR » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:24 am

Finally, we've got an all-whisky bar!! Amidst the garish noveau-Irish pubs and waay to plasticky "gotta be seen" dance clubs, at least one place is trying to bring out more substance in our nightlife. Unfortunately they're not open mondays... where am I going to get a good single malt on monday nights?

http://www.irishheather.com/sh_main.html

Shebeen, Whiskey House

Stocking the largest selection of single malts, bourbons, ryes, scotch and Irish whisk(e)y in British Columbia the Shebeen has established itself as one of Vancouver’s truly unique spots. It is the prefect venue for small to medium sized groups and has hosted weddings, christenings, wakes, birthdays, anniversaries, book launches, whiskey tastings, etc. The recent installation of audio visual equipment affords our clients all of the amenities that a modern boardroom offers, but in a truly alternative setting.

Why Shebeen?

The word Shebeen historically referred to a secretive small room or hovel where illegal alcohol was sold. Ours is neither illegal or hovel-like but its location across the private courtyard in a 19th coach house at the back of the Heather definitely gives it a secretive aura.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Done it!

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:02 am

Have plenty of whisky experience,did lots of courses in Scotland and Ireland and will soon be experimenting with the Japanese stuff,which is supposed to be rather good.A friend who really knows his stuff recommends the Belgian Michel Couvrier,who has just retired after distilling the best whiskey he ever tasted.

Personally I never travel anywhere without a bottle of Jameson,Bushmills,Jameson 1780 or Talisker (nice little scotch).Failing that I'll go for Black Bush,Oban,Powers,Tullamore Dew (a very underrated whisky).
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:39 pm

I usually grab a bottle of CC at the duty free on my way out but I dont travel with it very far as it tends not to last.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Re: At Least Someone in This Town Has Some Good Sense....

Postby Lotus7Productions » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:13 pm

SRR wrote:It is the prefect venue for small to medium sized groups and has hosted weddings, christenings, wakes, birthdays, anniversaries, book launches, whiskey tastings, etc.

Will they host a bris?
Lotus7Productions
BFCus Regularus

Re: At Least Someone in This Town Has Some Good Sense....

Postby Renard » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:31 pm

Lotus7Productions wrote:
SRR wrote:It is the prefect venue for small to medium sized groups and has hosted weddings, christenings, wakes, birthdays, anniversaries, book launches, whiskey tastings, etc.

Will they host a bris?

Only on Bloomsday. Bring a gift.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kapa » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:55 am

Not much of a fan of the Oirish whiskys sorry Mike, bar Middleton.... Sampled alot of the Scottish single malts and the only one I can't stand is Lagavullan(sp)... There used to be this bar in Edinburgh and all it stocked was Vodka's, guess it was a knee jerk reation to a whisky society or something....
Kapa
BFCus Regularus

single malts

Postby Sweet_M16 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:37 pm

Give Glendronach a try, its my favorite, so far. 'Tis a lovely, Sherry-aged Highland. Cragganmore is also quite nice, and they're both reasonably priced. Mmmmmm, Scotch...
Sweet_M16

Return to Black Flag Cafe