All info on Chiang Mai here please.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

All info on Chiang Mai here please.

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:11 pm

I am seriously considering travel in northern Thailand in a year or two.
Sri Lanky

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:55 am

Northern Thailand is my favorite place in the country, you'll have no trouble getting info on it. I have a bunch of Karenni friends in Mae Hong Son, the Padong Karenni are the babes with the rings around their long necks, very nice people and the women can knock back brews as fast as any westerner. Another cool place is Mae Sai which is basically the town that boarders Burma. If you go there try to stay at the King Cobra guest house, it's operated by an American named Mr. Joe, he's a real piece of work.
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby sigmoid » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:46 pm

Chiang Mai is one of the most touristy areas in Thailand.
Better head to the areas that Jimbo mentions. Chiang Mai city is a convenient base for explorations around the region though. You might also consider other provinces such as Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phrae and Nan where there are much fewer tourists.
sigmoid

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:56 pm

Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:37 pm

What does that mean rickshaw?....go see for yourself?

Does that mean there are lots of orifices?
Sri Lanky

maesai

Postby RAH » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:20 pm

Jimbo

About 18 months ago I stayed at King Kobra in MAesai and I guess the American running it had moved on. It was a bit depressing inside. HAd heard he was quite a character though and still somewhere in Mae Sai looking after the jewellery end of things and whatnot. Is that guy back then? Dunno if you know but there have been a few attacks cross-border near MHSong in the last few days and near oner-camp where the Padaung are. I will be floating along the border from early February having a look-see.
RAH
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:00 pm

What is there to do in Mae sai other than a visa run?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby RAH » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:40 am

Dunno

I was doing an extended visa run, 12 days up to Kengtung and Mongla in Shan State. Only a nite in Mae Sai at either end of the trip. Was there a few years before, coming down from the hills a bit further on, when the town was shelled, just for a night though. I imagine the town is good if your know about real vs fake gems.
RAH
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jimbo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:54 am

RAH- I haven't been up to Mae Sai or other points far north in quite some time. I'm surprised Mr. Joe gave up the GH, I thought he had a wife that was either Shan,Wa or some other local ethnic minority, perhaps she runs the place. I know he was dealing in gems as well, I kinda lost touch with him. As for the Karenni if you're heading up to MHS in the next 2-3 months, let me know. There are people there I need to contact.

Rickshaw-Mae Sai is cool for a day, and as RAH mentioned you can go through some parts of Shan state, Kengtung is as far as you can wander, however I knew someone who traveled from the Thai/Burma boarder up to Lashio, but they had made prior arrangements with the Burmese army in order to get there. Also Mae Sai isn't far from Sop Ruk, Chaing Sean (sp?) & Chaing Kong, which you can get into Laos from
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Re: All info on Chiang Mai here please.

Postby media » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:35 am

Chiang Mai is one of the largest cities in Thailand. Bout a hour flight from BKK. Very touristy but can be done cheap. Food is great and it's a good launching point to go further north. If you have any specific questions inbox me
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Re: All info on Chiang Mai here please.

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 am

The King and I talked, and Sri is not allowed back in Chiang Mai for another 6 months.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Return to Black Flag Cafe