TAROT...... anybody carry a deck of cards?

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

TAROT...... anybody carry a deck of cards?

Postby yorick » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:09 am

Never used em for divination but enjoy arranging Tarot cards deliberately like words in sentences to create statements and express complete thoughts with different combinations from the Major Arcana 22 cards.

Even better yet, symbolism portrayed in tarot cards would make a useful bag of tools for morale operations, say creating leaflets or posters to convey ideas in places like Basra where mystical/philosophical Muslims are said to meet.

Using 3 cards can create complete ideas. For example: Hierophant; Star; Hermit can express the idea of transmutation from demagoguery to solitude..... more or less the path of Osama Bin Laden, eh?

Or combine Hanged Man; World; Death..... and then you've got a pretty good "get well" message to send to Castro.

Strikes me the Tarot deck is an excellent thing for travellers to carry in their pocket. And I'll betcha they'd be universally enjoyed and appreciated across all borders, transcending linquistic and cultural differences. Plus you can always use the Minor Arcana for playing poker or solitaire if you get bored.

Anybody have any experience with Tarot cards here?

Thats Major Arcana of the popular Waite/Rider deck. Can recommend the Crowley as being more visual. Also there's an excellent 19th Century French masonic deck available. Another gem is the Salvadore Dali tarot deck, the original Dali cards were huge easel sized paintings.

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Re: TAROT...... anybody carry a deck of cards?

Postby el3so » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:05 pm

yorick wrote: Plus you can always use the Minor Arcana for playing poker or solitaire if you get bored.

Thats Major Arcana of the popular Waite/Rider deck.
While I generally prefer regular decks of cards with pictures of nude ladies on them, I happen to also have in my posession one Waite/Rider deck. Obtained them from an acquintance while he was in a house-hopping drug addict part of his life.

Always good for a laugh around new age chicks...
"I read these cards as a sequence of situations: empty bottles, then hot drunk monkey sex and, finally, a rapidly departing taxi. So, what's your star sign, baby..."
:-p
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby coldharvest » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:17 pm

Anybody have any experience with Tarot cards here?

You bet.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby yorick » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 am

coldharvest wrote:You bet.

Spaeking of betting, if all of life is a gamble and we are entirely comprised of the thoughts we think (as Ben Franklin once suggested) then symbolism inherent to the major arcana 22 cards probly covers it all.

yorick
malum discordiae

Postby coldharvest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:48 am

I couldn't agree more.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

O-Hi-O

Postby wsduncanb » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:12 am

Tarot cards? I don't need no stinking
Tarot cards! I carry all the ARCHETYPES,
Major and minor arcana both, in me brain.

I keep getting DOUBLE-ZEROs for this card: 22

I keep seeing this image: 0-89-0

And those runes: You'll get grander results
Randomly selecting words from a dictionary!
So, close your eyes, open the book and let
Your finger give you meaning for the times;
In an instant it'll define the moment.
wsduncanb
BFCus Regularus

Postby yorick » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Interesting interpretation, WSDB.

Meanwhile 22nd and final letter of the Hebrew Alphabet TAV generally is taken to represent synthesis, continuance as/of the universal soul.

And the card you've chosen to study is often and widely placed at beginning of the major arcana as well. Would be Hebrew ALEPH there representing man as a collective unity, lord and master of the earth.

Now for your own safety as spiritual traveler, can recommend you consider your beliefs to be subject to manipulation and flights of fancy from within your own imagination. Knowledge alone is whats important. Otherwise might as well be making mudpies and holding em up for approval same as a child might do. And then being suprised and astonished when adults fail to appreciate whatever profound significance the child might see in whatever he believes he has accomplished.

yorick
malum discordiae

Postby Stiv » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:59 pm

My sister used to do cards for me on occasion for minor psycho-active payment.

Used to be pretty insightful. Only thinng she ever did that made sense.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:43 pm

i once played poker with a deck of tarot cards.

i got a full house and three people died.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:51 pm

Sure, I read tarot cards. But have Llewellyn do it for you for free:

www.webtarot.org

The major arcana may, perhaps, symbolize the whole of human nature in a Jungian sense, but I'd argue that the minor arcana is almost as important - most human beings aren't designed to live each day in pursuit of greatness. For every soul mate, you'll probably have to deal with a hundred cheesy one-night stands, lousy dates, obsessive crushes and other ships passing in the night. That's why there are cards like the two of cups. Plus, once you learn the minor arcana, you can read people's fortunes with a regular deck of cards; I once gave a guy a reading with a well-worn Operation Iraqi Freedom deck that was so accurate he started to cry.

The Crowley Deck is good for learning the minor arcana, because in addition to fairly evocative pictures, each card has a one-word summary designed to jog your memory.
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby yorick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:47 pm

friendlyskies wrote:For every soul mate, you'll probably have to deal with a hundred cheesy one-night stands, lousy dates, obsessive crushes and other ships passing in the night. That's why there are cards like the two of cups.

Skies, you remind me of one of the best analogies I've ever heard for man and woman learning to live in love from an Italian girl once married by me who said its all about "two individuals drinking from the same source through separate cups.

And thanks for providing the Llewelyn link. Psychic nourishment is probly the most important factor going around the globe today. Not enough healthy exchange in this regard. Just my opinion but Tarot and I-Ching divination too is the sort of science that should be mandatory in most curriculums, even at the most basic academic level taught to all.

Have you ever considered "situational" readings in contemplation of events surrounding world wide events? At operative level this is the sort of stuff that shamans have been doing for centuries.

yorick
malum discordiae

Postby coldharvest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:39 am

coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Jonno » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:10 am

My girlfriend did tarrot cards with some random..and it said she was going to loose something special (meaning me). I got shot in Iraq a day later.
Jonno

Postby shivers » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:20 am

But did she lose something special (meaning you)?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jonno » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:45 am

Yeah, I died. lol...no her father died.
Jonno

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe