Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Mystery object delays shuttle landing

Postby Monarch » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:30 pm

I'm stocking up on tin foil.

From http://www.space.com/spaceshuttle/

NASA Postpones Shuttle Landing Due to Mystery Object, Weather
19 September 2006 11:59 a.m. EDT

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – NASA will postpone the planned Wednesday landing of the space shuttle Atlantis and its six-astronaut crew to further assess a mystery object seen floating between the orbiter and Earth earlier today.

“We’re going to wave off for tomorrow,” NASA astronaut Terry Virts, serving as spacecraft communicator, told Atlantis’ STS-115 crew, adding the poor weather expected at the shuttle’s Kennedy Space Center landing site Wednesday also factored into the decision.

Atlantis is now slated to land no earlier than Thursday at 6:21 a.m. EDT (1021 GMT), with a potential third heat shield survey with the shuttle’s sensor-laden inspection boom.

“We’ll be interested in whether we’ll be doing any more robotics tomorrow,” STS-115 commander Brent Jett told Virts.

“That is a possibility,” Virts said.

Earlier today at about 2:45 a.m. EDT (0645 GMT) an instrumentation and communications officer in NASA’s shuttle Mission Control room at Johnson Space Center noted an object between the orbiter and Earth, and traveling at about the same speed of the spacecraft.

The object was caught by a camera inside Atlantis’ payload bay, and was spotted just after the shuttle’s crew tested its reaction control system of thrusters.

A press briefing will begin at about 12:00 p.m. EDT (1600 GMT).

NASA is broadcasting Atlantis’ STS-115 mission to the ISS live via NASA TV. You are invited to follow the shuttle's progress using SPACE.com's NASA TV feed, which is available by clicking here or using the button at the left.

- Tariq Malik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NASA Tracks Mystery Object Near Atlantis Shuttle
19 September 2006 10:55 a.m. EDT

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – NASA mission controllers are tracking a mystery object hovering between the space shuttle Atlantis and Earth, and traveling at roughly the same speed as the orbiter, agency officials said Tuesday.

“Right now they’re just tying to figure out exactly what it is, how far away it is,” NASA spokesperson Kimberly Harle told SPACE.com. “It’s pretty much assessing the whole situation.”

Harle said that at 2:45 a.m. EDT (0645 GMT), just after Atlantis completed a check of its reaction control thrusters, the instrumentation and communications officer at NASA’s shuttle Mission Control room at Johnson Space Center noted an object between the orbiter and Earth, and traveling at about the same speed of the spacecraft.

Flight controllers are now using video cameras mounted along Atlantis’ robotic arm and payload bay to survey visible areas of the orbiter, including its wing leading edges and other vital heat shield areas, Harle said.

“Everything is still under assessment,” Harle said.

For now, Atlantis’ STS-115 shuttle crew will not stow their Ku-band antenna – the primary video and data link to Earth – to allow flight controllers to continue to study the object.

NASA is broadcasting Atlantis’ STS-115 mission to the ISS live via NASA TV. You are invited to follow the shuttle's progress using SPACE.com's NASA TV feed, which is available by clicking here or using the button at the left.

- Tariq Malik

We Should have listened to this guy.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ion%3Along
Monarch
BFCus Regularus

Postby Outkast » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Don't worry, it was just me...
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:52 pm

SURRRRRRRRE it's a plastic bag. That's dumber than the weather balloon excuse. I mean, I've seen the damned things in trees and national parks and around sea turtles' necks ad nauseum, like some sort of multi-colored terrestrial oilslick that makes the Exxon Valdez spill look as eco-friendly as Rachel Carson on a spring day, but in space?!? And they have to delay the orbiter landing for it?

Whatever. I too am stocking up on tin foil.
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Stiv » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:18 pm

Here it is folks!!!

Seems they've found three more floaties too!!

Astronauts find more debris outside shuttle

September 20 2006 at 02:38PM

By Seth Borenstein

Houston - Shuttle astronauts spotted three pieces of debris floating in space outside Atlantis early on Wednesday, a day after the discovery of two other mysterious objects forced a postponement of the landing.

Atlantis commander Brent Jett described the objects as two rings and a piece of foil. He told Mission Control the first object, about 30 metres from the shuttle, was "a reflective cloth or a mechanic looking-cloth. ...It's not a solid metal structure."

"It doesn't look like anything I've seen outside the shuttle," Jett said.

The astronauts noticed the objects during an extensive inspection of the space shuttle using a 15m boom early on Wednesday to see if its heat shield was damaged by a mysterious object that apparently floated off the spacecraft.

Jett suggested the three objects might have come from the Russian Soyuz vehicle, which docked with the International Space Station early on Wednesday.

But Mission Control told him the Soyuz likely was too far below the shuttle, and that the closest the two space vehicles came to each other was 32km. - Sapa-AP
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:10 pm

Atlantis commander Brent Jett described the objects as two rings and a piece of foil.

If that's not some kind of CIA-NASA-Shadow Government secret media code for "Holy Fucking Shit the Satanic Jellyfish People from Planet Xena have fucking arrived, everyone get to your NORAD bunkers now, we'll be implimenting Operation Tin Foil Hat at 2:00pm Wyoming time," well, then I just don't know what is. I for one am going to stock up on canned luncheon meat and bottled water right now. OK, I'm not, because I'm supposedly working right now. But I want to.
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Stiv » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Good call Friendly lol I'll follow suite. Somehow though I couldn't help but think of these very salient words penned by none other than Mark Mothersbaugh.

She was walking all alone
Down the street in the alley
Her name was sally
She never saw it
When she was hit by space junkIn new york miami beach
Heavy metal fell in cuba
Angola saudi arabia
On xmas eve said norad
A soviet sputnik hit africa
India venezuela (in texas
Kansas)
Its falling fast peru too
It keeps coming
And now Im mad about space junk
Im all burned out about space junk
Oooh walk & talk about space junk
It smashed my babys head
And now my sallys dead
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Its the bloody russkis bagging their turds and floating them out to the Yanquis.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Outkast » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:55 pm

nowonmai wrote:Its the bloody russkis bagging their turds and floating them out to the Yanquis.

I'd have to agree. The Russians have been giving us sh*t for years...
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby Monarch » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:00 am

My guess is somebody forgot to close the door to the parallel dimension.
Monarch
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Holy shit! That thing SHOT at the space shuttle - click here to see the photo since I'm too much of a moron to upload that sucker:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/ ... index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- NASA workers inspecting space shuttle Atlantis this week discovered that a tiny piece of space debris had punched a hole in a radiator panel during the shuttle's recent mission, but officials said the damage never endangered the crew.

The debris struck a panel that extends from payload bay doors on the shuttle. It wasn't clear exactly what the object was, but it did not hit the sensitive tiles or thermal panels that help protect the shuttle when it returns to Earth.

The impact left a hole about one-tenth of an inch in diameter, NASA reported Thursday on its Web site.

The damage "didn't endanger the spacecraft or the crew, nor did it affect mission operations," NASA said. The radiators were brought inside the bay before the shuttle's landing last month, so the damaged area did not encounter searing heat during re-entry through Earth's atmosphere.

In 2003, space shuttle Columbia broke apart during re-entry when superheated gases entered a hole in the shuttle's wing. A breakaway chunk of hard foam from Columbia's external fuel tank had punctured that wing during liftoff. After the Columbia disaster, NASA began intense inspections of the shuttle, both by camera during liftoff and by the astronauts once in space.

Motherfucking cylons....
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe