The Invisibles

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

The Invisibles

Postby El Cynic » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:55 am

Wikipedia:
The Invisibles is a comic book series written by Grant Morrison and drawn by various artists. It was published by the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics from 1994 to 2000. It follows the eponymous organization in their secret battle against physical and psychic oppression using time travel, magic, martial arts, meditation and guns. It is set at the time it was published and makes many references to real world people, both living and dead.

The comic focuses on one cell of Invisibles. At the beginning of the series, the leader of the cell is King Mob. The rest of the team consists of Lord Fanny, a Brazilian shaman and transvestite; Boy, a former member of the NYPD; Ragged Robin, a telepath with a mysterious past, and Jack Frost, a young hooligan from Liverpool with various spiritual powers. Their enemies are the archons of the Outer Church, interdimensional alien gods who have already enslaved most of the human race without their knowledge.

Anybody ever read "The Invisibles" by Grant Morrison. I read it last year, then spent a few months researching a lot of it's sources (Terrence Mckenna, William S. Burroughs, various conspiracy theories). I recently re-read it and understood it a great deal more this time around. Anybody here have any thoughts, comments or general rantings about these comics?
"There's a place down the street; Seven Xs. What does that mean? Maybe it's... girls without skin."

-Tom Waits
El Cynic

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:31 am

"The Watchmen" was about as deep as comics ever got for me.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:51 am

"Hellblazer" is still the dog's danglers, even though that goofball Reeves tried to play John Constantine (radical dude!) - who is a Liverpudlian with a shock of blonde hair - why does Hollywood think all our (anti) heroes have to be California airheads?

My only beef with the USA is their shite movie industry, ruining every good genre it can get its filthy paws on

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:51 am

flipflop wrote:"Hellblazer" is still the dog's danglers, even though that goofball Kantdo Reeves tried to play John Constantine (radical dude!) - who is a Liverpudlian with a shock of blonde hair - why does Hollywood think all our (anti) heroes have to be California airheads?

My only beef with the USA is their shite movie industry, ruining every good genre it can get its filthy paws on

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:53 am

Hey I tried to edit and quoted myself, what a twat - now I can't delete the fooking thing

Sorry
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:57 am

I agree twat:-))

It's a rare thing when they get it right.

Best,
Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby El Cynic » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:38 pm

Hellblazer and Watchmen are definitely prime examples of badassery. Hellblazer gave me an uncontrollable urge to buy Silk Cuts and Watchmen caused me to deface many a smiley face badge.
"There's a place down the street; Seven Xs. What does that mean? Maybe it's... girls without skin."

-Tom Waits
El Cynic

Postby El Cynic » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:39 pm

Wasn't John Constantine modeled to look like Sting?

-Tom Waits
El Cynic

Postby flipflop » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:53 am

Dunno, but some artists definitely made him look like the Tantric Tosser.

I have the first three of the first four ever issues (missing no.1 though), they're funny as they're overtly anti-Thatcher, even though he's supposed to be fighting the spawn of hell!! (they were drawn at the height of the Iron Lady's reign in the dark old 1980's) and have UK coppers still in tunic with whistles. Great stuff

Does this make me an anorak? (UK slang for nerd boy).

I collected all the Akira books in English when they were published a few years ago, the best graphic art ever produced IMO, but what a shitty ending that story has - "All hail the New Tokyo Empire!"

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:56 am

flipflop wrote:Dunno, but some artists definitely made him look like the Tantric Tosser. Sting was cool in "Quadrophrenia" - filmed in my town (I still try to drag my missus up that alley in East Street where Jimmy gives Lesley Ash a knee trembler, only when I'm full of ale though!! She's too much of a lady for that sort of thing), but he's been berk ever since.

I have the first three of the first four ever issues of Hellblazer (missing no. 1 though), they're funny as they're overtly anti-Thatcher, even though he's supposed to be fighting the spawn of hell!! (they were drawn at the height of the Iron Lady's reign in the dark old 1980's) and have UK coppers still in tunic with whistles. Great stuff

Does this make me an anorak? (UK slang for nerd boy).

I collected all the Akira books in English when they were published a few years ago, the best graphic art ever produced IMO, but what a shitty ending that story has - "All hail the New Tokyo Empire!"

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:57 am

I fooking did it again - why can't you edit on the TFHC Mr Yorick?

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby yorick » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:09 am

This board is wired unlike any other, clandestine getaway from the rest. It was decided to skip edit and delete functions to encourage fewer mistakes.

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:35 pm

So that what you write is directed by a higher force....is it 'you' actually writing?
Sri Lanky

Postby flipflop » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:39 am

My edits aren't mistakes. I see them as "aftershocks" of ideas, additions to the "earthquakes" of my original posts.

Fair dos, if that's how the TFHC is uniquely set up then so be it

Cheers and thanks
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Say, What?

Postby wsduncanb » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:19 am

Comrade, it is so good to have you having my back
And kicking some serious ass in the BFC engine room!

Keep it up, my man,
And I´ll have you hooked-up,
Without a doubt,
With Great Wakantanka,
Up there, somewhere,

In that big empty, the sky,

Which is our GOD´s Country.

"I´ve already been executed,
I´m just waiting to die." -wsdb

W.S. Duncan-Binns
Apartado 0815-00349
Cuidad Panama