On the way to a real Nexus 6

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

On the way to a real Nexus 6

Postby flipflop » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 am

Scientists create gene map for synthetic life

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
Reuters - Thursday, January 24 08:18 pm
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Researchers have assembled the entire genome of a living organism -- a bacterium -- in what they hope is an important step to creating artificial life.

The bug, Mycoplasma genitalium, has the smallest known genome of any truly living organism, with 485 working genes. Viruses are smaller, but they are not considered completely alive as they cannot replicate by themselves.

Bacteria can and do, and the team at the non-profit J. Craig Venter Institute in Maryland has been working for years to try to build M. genitalium from scratch.

"We consider this the second in significant steps of a three-step process in our attempts to make the first synthetic organism," Craig Venter, founder of the institute, told a telephone briefing.

"This entire process started with four bottles of chemicals."

M. genitalium has a fairly simple structure -- all its DNA is carried on a single chromosome. Chromosomes are the structures that carry genetic material, and the entire code is called the genome. Other genetic material called RNA is needed to convert this gene map into something a cell can use to function.

Writing in the journal Science, the researchers said they used first E. coli bacteria and then yeast cells to copy pieces of DNA and assemble them into an artificial chromosome.

Next, the researchers say, they want to insert this artificial chromosome into a cell and see if they can make their synthetic chromosome "boot up" the cell.

They started by chemically making DNA fragments in the lab. Their first step was to make the four building blocks of DNA -- adenine, guanine, cytosine and thiamine or the A, G, C and T that make up the genetic code.

For M. genitalium, which can cause a sexually transmitted infection in men and women, these four letters repeat in pairs 580,000 times.

It is not possible to build one long strand of DNA because it is too brittle, so the sequence was broken down into pieces called cassettes. Some work was outsourced to a lab that specializes in making circular DNA fragments called plasmids.

SYNTHETIC MICROORGANISMS

Venter said the chromosome had been disabled so that it could not live outside the lab and so that it could not take over some other organism by mistake. The plan also underwent ethical review by a panel at the University of Pennsylvania.

Venter's hope is to eventually make synthetic microorganisms that could be used for producing biofuels, cleaning up toxic waste or pulling excess carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

In June 2007, the team announced that they had managed to change one species of bacteria called Mycoplasma capricolum into another, Mycoplasma mycoides, by replacing the genome of one with the genome of another.

Venter said he would like to use a synthetic chromosome in a similar way, to trick one organism into acting like another.

Another key question -- what is the minimum number of genes needed for life? Venter hopes to be able to make a streamlined, stripped-down organism from scratch.

"We have 100 genes or so that we know we can't knock out without killing the cell that are of unknown structure," he told the briefing -- meaning his team still has a way to go in understanding which genes are absolutely necessary for life.
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby redharen » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:42 pm

For M. genitalium, which can cause a sexually transmitted infection in men and women, these four letters repeat in pairs 580,000 times.

What a great place to start! "The good news: We created new life! The bad news: It's yet another sexually transmitted disease you have to watch out for."
redharen
small ax

perish the thought

Postby denise » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:35 pm

these intelligent designers may well yet be the death of us all.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jäeger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:37 pm

"The good news: We created new life! The bad news: It's yet another sexually transmitted disease you have to watch out for."

Isn't new life among humans really just a sexually transmitted disease anyway? At least for the first 18 years. :)
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Re: perish the thought

Postby Fansy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:12 am

denise wrote:these intelligent designers may well yet be the death of us all.

quick!! think of anything you can to debase this new, threatening scientific discovery that could prove all us "only god can make life" people that we're full of shit!!!!
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

i would say i could not yet i cannot

Postby denise » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:26 am

i am incapable.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:46 pm

One of my long-standing pet peeves is when human beings, interdependent as we are, classify viruses as non-living because they can't "replicate independently." Well then, Einsteins, the only living things are amoebas and their asexually reproducing ilk (including Fox's protenoid microspheres, hah) since no creature relying on sexual reproduction can replicate independently either, except maybe the Virgin Mary. Get over yourselves. Yeah, yeah, I get the difference, but lemme tell you, my dratted common cold viruses not only want to live and enjoy life, have babies, and create a snotty little home for themselves, they've also successfully completed space travel, the space between me and that guy who took me out to dinner last week, and I suspect the plan to *ACHOO!!!* do it again. Humans, we can create life, sure, but we still don't know how to recognize it. When we can do that, then I'll believe that we're finally ready.
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Jäeger wrote:
"The good news: We created new life! The bad news: It's yet another sexually transmitted disease you have to watch out for."

Isn't new life among humans really just a sexually transmitted disease anyway? At least for the first 18 years. :)

heheheheheh (not so funny when I hear them screaming beside me on a plane or any other confined space).
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby el3so » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Definitely 'd be down with one of these basic pleasure models
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby nowonmai » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:48 pm

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 pm

denise wrote:these intelligent designers may well yet be the death of us all.

I say kill them before they kill us. The last thing this planet needs is more intelligent life.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Sri Lanky » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Intelligent as in "intelligent".

Yeah,we need more intelligent death.
Sri Lanky

Postby SRR » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Caliban wrote:The last thing this planet needs is more intelligent life.

.....You mean you've managed to find some?
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Caliban » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:02 pm

SRR wrote:
Caliban wrote:The last thing this planet needs is more intelligent life.

.....You mean you've managed to find some?

Difficult I'll grant you. If you consider yourself to be of average intelligence and then think of all the stupid things you have done in life, then consider that having an average intelligence makes half the Worlds population more stupid than you....
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe