Poll: Supernatural Disasters

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

What causes hurricanes?

1. God punishing homosexuals, gamblers, adulterers, etc in places like Miami and New Orleans.
14%
2. Allah punishing warmongerers in Iraq.
No votes
3. God punishing the Republican Party.
No votes
4. Warm, moist air from the ocean surface rising rapidly to meet cooler air, which causes warm water vapor to condense and to form storm clouds and drops of rain. The condensation also releases latent heat, which warms the cool air above, causing it to rise and make way for more warm humid air from the ocean below.
57%
5. God punishing the Godless Communists in Cuba.
14%
666. Satan punishing the Godly people of the USA and GOP.
No votes
7. Other (please explain)
14%

Total votes : 7

Poll: Supernatural Disasters

Postby friendlyskies » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:50 am

OK, I've been having a tiff with Omar the Bitter Iraqi Guy on the al-Jazeera website about whether or not Hurricane Gustav is God's punishment of the USA for the Bush Wars. You know, since Mayor Nagin is such a pro-Bush kind of guy. Then some other moron jumped in to explain that God was actually punishing New Orleans because it's full of homosexuals and women pulling their shirts off; Omar the Bitter Iraqi Guy has since been calling the Americans "warmongering faggot whores." (And, yes, I do have too much time on my hands; work starts Tuesday, I've got insomnia, and I'm procrastinating.)

Now, I tried to explain that folks in Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica and the Caymans didn't elect Bush, aren't fighting in Iraq, and tend to be pretty darned homophobic, especially Jamaica. And that actually, it's hurricane season, and there are almost always hurricanes in the Caribbean during hurricane season, and there's a real, live, scientific hypothesis for hurricanes getting stronger and the Gulf Coast flooding out right now, see Al Gore for more on that. But, of course, Allah forbid that Omar the Bitter Iraqi Guy read anything about science, not when he can believe in Mohammed flying around the solar system on a woman-headed chicken. *sigh*

Then, this morning, I got an "Open Letter to God from Michael Moore," who is a devout Catholic, apologizing to God for his recent gaffe on the Ken Olbermann show, where he said that God had heard some wacko Christians' prayers for rain on Obama's outdoor speech, but ended up bringing down rain on their own parade. People, it's hurricane season! Global warming scientists have predicted stronger hurricanes and massive flooding, and much of New Orleans is already below sea level; sure, climate change isn't 100% proven, but why is that less believable than all this crazy talk about God choosing to punish the Haitians and GOP?
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: Poll: Supernatural Disasters

Postby Yeahsure » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:52 am

"Omar the bitter Iraqi guy"? "al-Jazeera site"?

You're kidding?
Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:40 am

Yeahsure wrote:"Omar the bitter Iraqi guy"? "al-Jazeera site"?

You're kidding?

No, not at all. A-J has an English-language site with excellent Latin American coverage. The US and to a lesser extent ME stuff is very biased, though. Anyway, I obviously don't know if that guy actually named Omar, or if he's from Iraq, but I think he is - his English is stilted the way the other Arabic posters' are. He said his wife got killed so he prays every day for the destruction of the USA and whatnot. Yeah, buddy, you and everyone else we've ever bombed, and that's a mighty big club.

There are lots of "Iraqis" that post on there, lots of ME folks, in lousy English. You could register for the A-J forums if you want to, but that might be a strike against you when the neocons start exterminating undesirables in the FEMA camps. Or they post their videos to youtube, so you can use a regular youtube account to comment. And you *will* get replies. It's interesting just to read, though. This site tells you what the soldiers and PMCs think about the Bush Wars, that one tells you what the Iraqis and other Middle Easterners think about them.

Sorry yorick! I was hoping this would turn into a TFHC discussion if people would admit that they thought God could control the weather. But I guess this belonged in rants and opinions, my bad. Feel free to delete/move/keep it.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:55 am

I was hoping this would turn into a TFHC discussion

My inconsequential opinion: While life may appear random, there are NO coincidences.
I've staked my soul on that.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:20 am

friendlyskies wrote:Then some other moron jumped in to explain that God was actually punishing New Orleans because it's full of homosexuals and women pulling their shirts off;

Which begs the question of why "God" let the French Quarter survive.......
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:33 pm

God likes titties and race music.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:16 pm

Don't forget about little baby Jesus.
Sri Lanky

Postby Yeahsure » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:46 am

Would a "whooops!" at CERN count as a natural or supernatural disaster?
Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:19 pm

god will unleash an ectoplasmic megastorm that will drown the earth in green slime.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe