Some suicidal thoughts

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Some suicidal thoughts

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I figured I should write something on what's transpired seeing that I've been given the fucking ball.

I was present at the aftermath of a suicide late last month. A woman around thirty hung herself in front of her three small children. For some,life can change in a tenth of a second...as it did for those kids....or it can take 30,50,70 years.

Shit...for me that change is the simple fact that it has become pleasant to be alive again.

Probably just like you.

A lot of people might see what this woman did as cowardly or selfish but I think it was a desperate act where life becomes the ultimate sacrifice. Some people succumb to the hopelessness-generating apparatus called the modern world.

A person tends to know more about truth when they spend time on the edge....I think this was true for yorick....and for yorick it was important to act in a transcendant and absolutely free way. Suicide can be the most human of moments.
Sri Lanky

Re: Some suicidal thoughts

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:09 pm

In a vacuum everything can be romantic or poetic. But when you hold a piece of a loved one's brainpan in your hand the nuance of it all gets a bit hazy.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Fansy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:03 am

so a suicide can be countenanced as an extraordinarily elegant and informed critique of man's universal condition, or in turn it can be as meaningless and depressing as the temporal aftermath that often follows the event (or perhaps the helpless melancholy which might have guided the individual to that conclusion).

eye of the beholder, no?

if anyone's interested, I can dig up some quotes, thoughts, and arguments formulated by some of our greatest minds regarding the deed.

but i imagine the subject is of that visceral nature where an individual's personal experience will preclude any alternative and opposing perspectives from taking root, or, at the least, from being appreciated in their own right.

as for yorick, the jury is still out concerning the means and method of his exit, and whether death was executed at his discretion. before spending too much effort, either way, I'm gonna wait for more facts to roll in.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 am

Well,I've been to many suicides and there are probably as many reasons as there are people. There are also many methods and it's amazing what people will do to die.

The most common for men?....car exhaust or the gun.

For women?....hanging or drug overdose.

The Inuit in the north of Canada had a tradition where the eldest would sacrifice themselves to the wild by simply sitting in the frozen tundra and wait for nature to take it's course. That way they wouldn't continue to be a burden to the tribe and they would show the younger people that life and death are inseparable and that death is a natural part of life and not to be feared...that it is part of the sacred.
Sri Lanky

Postby Fansy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:11 am

most nomadic peoples of the harsh north have oral traditions of senicide, although in actuality it seems to be a rare occurrence. this practice, or stories of this practice, range from the steppes of central asia to greenland. and although the motivation and perceived necessity may be understood in the specific scope of a tribe's oral rendition, the event is not a celebrated or happy prospect in any that account I have come across.

senicide becomes more problematic when its viewed in light of the social coercion that frequently accompanies it. that is, when senicide takes place it is generally not a pure, free form of suicide (however much that may exist), but rather encouraged, enabled and/or eventually enforced by other tribe members, and usually close/immediate family.

not that I disagree with the practice on the whole, but the tradition which you described in noble terms has a much darker de facto instantiation.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:26 pm

True....and it was usually women that were expected to make the sacrifice. Natural selection chooses some very harsh(from our perspective) methods for us. I think we sometimes need to dress natural selection up with some frills and flowers.

Smile and wave.
Sri Lanky

Postby pyrohydra » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:29 pm

On the subject of suicides I recommend viewing The Bridge (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799954)...a movie made from footage of actual suicides on the Golden Gate Bridge (namely people jumping off it). They filmed the bridge continuously for an entire year from several angles, capturing all 80 or so suicides that occured during that period. They also interview family and friends of some of the jumpers, and one person who jumped off and lived.

A very eerie movie.
pyrohydra
BFCus Regularus

to each their own

Postby el3so » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm

All of life's disillusionments eh? Santa starts it IMO
Known some folks that had an urge to play chicken with trains etc. Sucked to be them I guess.

pyrohydra wrote: A very eerie movie.
Definitely worth a look.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:33 pm

There are actually three forces behind evolution. Usually we tend to think of only mutation and natural selection but there is a third. It's called co-operation. I think we heading towards a partnership society--as seen in the Summit of the Americas. This whole notion of social darwinism and it's sick cousin,American-style capitalism,has been discredited. People were too eager to justify raping the planet and it's people under the illusion that social darwinism is the only truth. Well,the fact is we are shifting from a you-or-me paradigm into a you-and-me paradigm. Old religious and nationalistic orders are conflicting with this awareness of the greater reality. People are beginning to bypass the monolitihic Abrahamic religions and are pursuing their own spritual path. People are waking up and are not chained to rigid nationalistic ideology or clinging to the forces of limitation. Some people feel as if the world is coming to an end. Well,their little world IS coming to an end....but all this means is that there is something else being re-created. I think we are collectively moving more rapidly out of the material,mechanistic realm into a realm that embraces a larger perspective.
Sri Lanky

Postby trueblue5x5 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:48 am

Bingo! Perhaps there is a trinity at work? lol
dont lie to, disrespect or annoy a Dragon, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
trueblue5x5
BFCus Regularus

Postby trueblue5x5 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 am

Wonder if we'll make it long enough to check out this place?
Scientists Locate another Earthlike Planet

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_ ... RyjyMazJV4

I hope so...
dont lie to, disrespect or annoy a Dragon, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
trueblue5x5
BFCus Regularus

4-Way Concrete Deck Blocks.

Postby Herr VOLKMAR » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Woodsman wrote:I'm at a loss for what you would need the 16 bricks for. I'm having a tough time picturing how you're going to attach the frame of this home to concrete (quikcrete cardboard tube piers) with wire too...(usually, piers are attached to frames via posts - 4x6 or 6x6).

http://www.small-cabin.com/

Further perusing the OUR SMALL CABIN website, the
Determination has been made to forego pin-point
Pier foundational ideas (considering below frost-line
Digging, concrete mixing and costs, and all of the
Inconvenience I'd have to go through just to find
The most suitable concrete forms for size/cost)
And make things as SIMPLE as "simple" can be:

Some GRAVEL at 4 level points;
A few cinder-blocks for elevation;
And four 4-way "DekBlocks" spaced
At building layout points 12' apart.

So simple, even
WSDUNCANB
Could pull it off.
"I've already been executed,
I'm just waiting to die."
-
William Sherrick Duncan-Binns