The Oil Spill Conspiracy Theories Are Piling Up

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Re: The Oil Spill Conspiracy Theories Are Piling Up

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Q wrote:I'm down here on the Gulf, and everything is fine. Food coming out of it isn't toxic, the beaches are as beautiful as ever. So much for the emotional, reactionary, shit science that said the Gulf was doomed for all eternity.

Well, actually, if you wasted three hours reading all the bullshit and links in this convoluted thread (not recommended), you'd see that your observations fit the conspiracy perfectly. Not that this PROVES any of them, it just doesn't disprove them. To summarize:

1. The Deep Horizon spill was a false flag event and not an actual spill. A few nearby oil wells had a controlled release to give the illusion of a major spill to camera crews flying over, and in order to fool scientists, they punched into an asphalt volcano, which was responsible for the tar balls. If anywhere near as much oil had been spilled as the media said (according to the conspiracy theories, remember), then there would be MUCH more damage to the beaches and sea life.

2. The reason for the false flag was (a) to keep people out of the Gulf for a few months (insert Cthulu, space aliens, etc here) and/or to spray Corexit, a toxic substance, on poor people living around the Gulf.

2b. If the real reason was to spray Corexit, this highly toxic, top-secret substance was chosen specifically because it caused long-term problems resulting in early death, and would not be as obvious to the DEA when they tested seafood for contamination (because the ingredients are secret, so how can you test for them).

3. Since the goal is supposedly to trick you into ingesting poison, perhaps playing on the beautiful beaches and eating delicious seafood is not the wisest idea.

But whatever.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:33 pm

'Space alien' sounds really weird to the English ear. To that ear, all aliens are space aliens.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:34 pm

nowonmai wrote:'Space alien' sounds really weird to the English ear. To that ear, all aliens are space aliens.

Oh, back in the 1980s and 1990s, US corporate propagandists began calling illegal immigrants "illegal aliens" in order to dehumanize them and manipulate the artificially lowered public empathy into a series of rather draconian labor laws. To discriminate between the previous definition of aliens (critters from other planets) and the new politicized soundbyte, it became common to preface "alien" with "space," so people would know you were discussing scifi rather than Republican talking points.

It's awkward and no longer even useful in the context of today's propaganda. My bad.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Q » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:37 pm

friendlyskies wrote:But whatever.

Classic, Al Gore, shit science response. Claim to be a believer in science, but demonstrate the same blind following of a religious person when it doesn't fit your agenda.

I'm not claiming conspiracy. There was a spill. It just wasn't near as bad as the 2 year old childlike, emotional response that the supposed "intelligent" and "smarter than everyone else" crowd always gives in situations like these.

It is funny....You're always so quick to dump on the religious tards for their dumbfuckery, yet you demonstrate the same blind faith when it comes to the subject of science. Especially when the facts don't support your worship of it.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:22 pm

"space aliens"

That would be all of us,nowonmai...because we're about as far out in space as you can get. Well,some of us are a bit more out there than others.
Sri Lanky

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Q wrote:
friendlyskies wrote:But whatever.

Classic, Al Gore, shit science response. Claim to be a believer in science, but demonstrate the same blind following of a religious person when it doesn't fit your agenda.

I'm not claiming conspiracy. There was a spill. It just wasn't near as bad as the 2 year old childlike, emotional response that the supposed "intelligent" and "smarter than everyone else" crowd always gives in situations like these.

It is funny....You're always so quick to dump on the religious tards for their dumbfuckery, yet you demonstrate the same blind faith when it comes to the subject of science. Especially when the facts don't support your worship of it.

Dude, how was I not clear? I'm not saying this conspiracy theory is true, I have no idea of knowing either way. I'm just saying that your observations support exactly what the conspiracy theory predicted. And seriously man, Al Gore? Really?

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 pm

BP 'has gained stranglehold over Iraq' after oilfield deal is rewritten
New terms mean company will be paid even when production is disrupted, critics claim

reddit this
Comments (69)
Terry Macalister
The Observer, Sunday 31 July 2011
Article history

Iraq's Rumaila oilfield in 2009, the year BP and Chinese partner CNPC originally clinched a deal to develop the field. Photograph: Atef Hassan/Reuters
BP has been accused of taking a "stranglehold" on the Iraqi economy after the Baghdad government agreed to pay the British firm even when oil is not being produced by the Rumaila field, confidential documents reveal.

The original deal for operating Iraq's largest field – half as big as the entire North Sea – has been rewritten so that BP will be immediately compensated for civil disruption or government decisions to cut production.

This potentially could influence the policy decisions made by Iraq in relation to the Opec oil cartel, and is a major step away from the original terms of an auction deal signed in the summer of 2009, critics claim.

"Iraq's oil auctions were portrayed as a model of transparency and a negotiating victory for the Iraqi government," said Greg Muttitt, author of Fuel on the Fire: Oil and Politics in Occupied Iraq. "Now we see the reality was the opposite: a backroom deal that gave BP a stranglehold on the Iraqi economy, and even influence over the decisions of Opec."

The concerns are shared by the Platform campaign group, which has obtained copies of the original and amended contracts and on Sunday will publish them on its website.

The oil industry provides 95% of Iraq's foreign earnings and there are plans to lift Rumaila's production almost threefold within the next three years from its existing level of 1m barrels a day.

Rumaila, which is 20 miles from the Kuwaiti border, already accounts for 40% of Iraq's total output and even before expansion produces almost half the total output of the UK North Sea fields. Growth to 3m barrels a day would make it 50% bigger.

The Iraq government argued in 2009, when the agreement was signed, that the country had got a superb deal, and this was endorsed by western oil analysts surprised that BP agreed to such terms.

The documents seen by the Observer show that the terms of the original agreement proposed by the Iraqi oil ministry, under which BP comes in as a contractor and operator rather than owner, have been amended to put the British-based company and its Chinese partner in a far more advantageous position.

Section 12.5 of this revised technical service contract shows that BP and its Chinese partner CNPC can obtain payments for "government imposed curtailment" – which could cover quota demands made on Iraq by Opec. This also applies to disruption to the transport of oil – "curtailments of transporter to receive net production at the transfer point through no fault of the contractor or operator".

The section goes on to say that in the event of such disruptions "the parties shall agree in good faith a mechanism to fully compensate [the] contractor as soon as practicable, which may include, among other things, a revised field production schedule or an extension to the term or payment of lost income in respect of the estimated volumes not produced during the period".

The original draft makes no reference to any "payment of lost income"; it merely suggests that BP and the government should share the cost by increasing the lifetime of the production agreement. There are other significant changes to the original contract, including one to raise the threshold at which project cost payments must be approved by the government from $50m to $100m (£61m) – something that Platform believes could open the door to abuse.

The changes are likely to anger internal critics of the Baghdad regime, many of whom were suspicious of the original deal. It will also increase the prejudice of those who saw the UK's involvement in toppling Saddam as part of a "war for oil".

Samuel Ciszuk, Middle East analyst with IHS Global Insight consultancy, said the details contained in the document "fitted with a notion" that something had been done to deal with a situation where quotas might be reduced in line with Opec policies.

The enormous concessions have been obtained in behind-the-scenes negotiations over terms for the Rumaila field since the deal was originally signed. Industry analysts believe the Iraqi project is more important than ever to BP at a time when investors are accusing it of lacking any vision for growth. BP declined to comment on the grounds that the contract was confidential, but industry sources said the oil company had always insisted any changes in the contract conditions were for "clarification purposes" only.

Alex Munton, an analyst at Wood Mackenzie, remarked in 2009 that Iraq got a great, if not spectacular, deal. Baghdad secured the services of BP and CNPC for $2 a barrel plus a $500m signing bonus, it was believed.

The Iraqi oil ministry last year published details of technical service agreements that would apply to foreign oil companies on its website, where they could still be seen last week. It did not specifically publish the BP service contract and could not be reached for comment.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Impressive. If only it was actually British.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:24 am

That's why s/he said "British-based," because it's not British, it's supranational. We all know it's too big and powerful for anyone to assign it a nationality - if anything, BP calls the shots in the British government (among others), not the other way around.

Still, the headquarters are in London, its primary listing is on the London stock exchange, and until 2001, BP stood for "British Petroleum." Yes, I know they have offices in the USA and around the world, the CEO is Swedish, etc etc. It seems silly, to us, to think of something as important as BP as though it were constrained by a ratty pack of flaky little democratic governments. But it's justa quaint journalistic convention, from before the era of global corporate control. I bet the writer started his or her career before 2000.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby flipflop » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 am

It was 'British' when it suited your President for it to be 'British'

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:37 pm

flipflop wrote:It was 'British' when it suited your President for it to be 'British'

Cheers

Exactly. He's not an idiot, that was deliberate - it was propaganda designed to inflame the usual "us-vs-them" adrenaline/cortisone cascade, which detracted attention away from discussion about the true fault for the accident. Conspiracy theorists or not, I think we can all agree that it wasn't the British people who caused the Deepwater Horizon Spill.

It is embarrassing, as an American, that this works. But it does. A Tea Partyish friend just left the most ignorant comment on a Facebook post about nuclear testing, essentially saying that he was surprised France had detonated so many weapons, since they are wimps. Or in the vernacular of the xenophobia-targeted propaganda of 2003, "cheese-eating surrender monkeys." This is a person from Oak Ridge, who has been made aware since grade school of France's outstanding nuclear program - and when I reminded him of that, he was like, "Oh, right. I just...." That's how powerful this propaganda is, even 7 years after it was taken off the air. The fact that you're still experiencing an emotional reaction to Obama's carefully calculated gaff is a testimony to its effectiveness in the UK as well.

But, despite the orchestrated confusion, I think we all understand that BP is not unduly concerned with the frivolities of democracy, law, or borders. "British." Heh. I bet Obama savored the irony for a moment as that word fell off his tongue. It was so hilarious in the USA, when Southerners got it in their heads that they were going to boycott BP (subtext: the fucking Redcoats) because of the spill. So BP ran advertisements starring franchise owners with Southern accents, begging them not to hurt the company with a boycott. Because it wasn't the Redcoats who would suffer, it was the rednecks. Us, not them. It worked.

Divided we fall.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:20 pm

That'll be the descendants of the same Southerners who came cap in hand to the British government when they were ground into submission by Abe Lincoln.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm

nowonmai wrote:That'll be the descendants of the same Southerners who came cap in hand to the British government when they were ground into submission by Abe Lincoln.

LOL. Yes, just like you are the descendant of hundreds of different people, some of whom were probably beggars at some point in their lives. Wow, how special.

Anyway, I realize what you're trying to do, and that's fine, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the people who perpetrated the oil spill. Which is BP and Halliburton at the very least, and (according to this conspiracy theory anyway) several other government and corporate officials. Those people are alive and responsible for their own actions.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Q » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Dude, how was I not clear? I'm not saying this conspiracy theory is true, I have no idea of knowing either way. I'm just saying that your observations support exactly what the conspiracy theory predicted. And seriously man, Al Gore? Really?

So by stating the facts, I'm supporting a conspiracy theory? Got it.

And as for the boycott commercials, link or shut the fuck up. I think you're really losing it.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:00 am

Q wrote:So by stating the facts, I'm supporting a conspiracy theory? Got it.

Dude.... concentrate. Your observations do not confirm, deny, or support this conspiracy theory. Your observations are CONSISTENT with the conspiracy theory. How can you not see this huge, obvious difference? Jesus.

Look. I will spell it out for you. The conspiracy theory has almost zero chance of being true. It's just for fun. Come fucking on.... Nostradamus? The Illuminati? Hitler's Birthday? Seriously? Cthulu isn't even from a real religion, do you realize that? I get bored. I surf the internet. I post things here. It's the tin foil hat cafe, for fuck's sake.

BUT....but....yes, IF the conspiracy was true, which might be mathematically possible in the infinity of space and time, then yes, your observations are totally consistent with what we'd expect to see. But, you know, since the conspiracy theory involves characters from 1930s pulp science fiction coming to life, maybe - JUST FUCKING MAYBE - that's a coincidence.

Do you get it now? Good grief.

Q wrote:And as for the boycott commercials, link or shut the fuck up. I think you're really losing it.

Shut the fuck up? Really? Your posts just keep getting more and more articulate. And seriously, I think you're kind of losing it. You could be having fun with this thread - I bet you're hearing all kinds of conspiracy theories down on the Gulf! But nooooo instead you're just being bitchy and weird. Maybe after you get your period, you'll be able to calm down enough to post some of the rumors going around the bars down there.

Anyway, there are a shit ton of BP commercials online and maybe someday I will go through them. That someday is not tonight. You have a point there though, I should be posting more links.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

PreviousNext

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe