am i crazy like some of the crazies here

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Re: am i crazy like some of the crazies here

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 pm

So what does doc v gotta say for herself?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Reflecting a bit I see now that it was not a "coup" but to be fair I dumped admin status on V. when I left a while back. I saw the e-mail I sent her and I basically said "I'm done, you do it, you know the board, bye" (cliff notes version)

I am sorry if I made it seem otherwise in any way.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Fansy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:46 pm

but Kurt wasn't that at minimum the second time she was offered modship?

as we note on p. 90 of Dr. V's BFC dissertation:

During 2007 I was asked to become a moderator (I would have been the first female moderator on the
forum). I declined this offer as it would have allowed me access to the personal information of
the forum participants and might have been deemed unethical by the participants. These
events provided signs that I had become an accepted member of the community, able to joke
with fellow participants, follow their conversations and respond emphatically to their world
(Goffman 1989).

not that i care who is a moderator and who isn't nor why, but this passage seems to indicate she was well on her way to being a mod before you took a break and handed it over to her. i mean this passage suggests her only objection to accepting the first offer was her ongoing research (an ethical decision on her part, which i and every reasonable person on the board should appreciate).

but at the same time it stands to reason that it was understood - at least by you, RYP, her, and other ppl in the know - prior to finishing her research and prior to you taking your break that she was on the fast track to become a BFC moderator.

so when you claim to have "dumped" admin status on V, i'm guessing you're meanin is that your leaving abruptly was unexpected/unplanned part, but not the advent of our new moderator overlord who already knew her modship had been in the works since at least the first offer which she (temporarily) refused.

i don't mean to be pedantic but i wasn't exactly coherent for all of the board drama for the last, o...6 years and am now eager to get the story straight in my head. sorry to all if this is common forum knowledge.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:59 pm

nowonmai wrote:Anyway,you have just shown the main problem with infiltration: going native.

interestingly Dr. V discusses successfully navigating that same issue within section 3.9 "Difficulties" on p. 91-92:

...Kerr and Hiltz (1982) note two main dangers in computer-mediated participant observation: going native and role conflict. The fact that I had visited Afghanistan assisted in establishing credibility but it also increased the risk of going native, which is defined generally as when a researcher “identif[ies] so closely with one’s subjects [thatone] inadvertently skews his description and analysis of the world being portrayed” (Monti 1992, p.326). Within computer-mediated communication, going native is described as “involving oneself in the group to the extent that objectivity is lost” (Paccagnella 1997, p.6) to the point of negatively influencing behaviour
both in the field and in data analysis (Monti 1992). Within an online forum it is difficult to distinguish between participating and becoming the phenomenon studied (Jorgensen 1989), as the researcher’s actions cannot be removed from the field without removing meaning from the data (Tedlock 1991).

Although a period of active participation (Adler and Adler 1987) was required to gain full membership of the group, this did not correspond with an equivalent emotional or physical involvement, so objectivity was maintained. Hammersley and Atkinson (1995) suggested that the researcher should attempt to become a marginal native. The nature of the research (periods of participant observation followed by data collection and analysis) meant that my participation in the forum could be scaled down during certain phases of the research, allowing me to step back from the forum and its participants to take a more dispassionate view.

she goes on to discuss how she avoided role conflicts while conducting her research:

Role conflict is described as the conflict between the goals of the group and those of
the research or researcher (Kerr and Hiltz 1982) and the potential for ethical conflicts
between the group’s possibly illegal activities and the views of the researcher (Lee 1993).
The subject of distressing and illegal activities is explored in Section 3.12.4. The
development of a research protocol (Appendix 12.1), which ensured a professional as
opposed to deeply personal involvement within the forum, also assisted me in maintaining my
distance from the forum members.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:14 pm

She avoided role conflicts by declining moderator status, but after her thesis was finished there were would be no conflicts...of the academic sort at least.

I cannot even remember offering her mod status in 2007. I may have had some hair brained idea it would help her observe better because as was mentioned I was not "trained" in ethics.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Fansy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:29 pm

i actually imagined the same scenario. it's a problem-solver's approach to the research project.

towards completion of the research, or at whatever time the section 3.12.5 "Exit strategy" p.99 was written, it seems she also intended to stay (and why not become a mod?)

Non-virtual ethnography involves an exit strategy which requires the withdrawal from the field
(Hammersley and Atkinson 1995). Virtual ethnography differs, however, in that the “research
does not end with a neat and distinct ‘exit’ from the field” (Kendall 2004, p.132) as there is no
natural end point to the participation in an online community. Instead, the end of the research
provides little closure unless the researcher withdraws suddenly from the field. This is likely to
prevent future access into the community, however, and possibly other similar virtual
communities, since it would result in the loss of goodwill from the participants. I do not
currently intend to leave the Black Flag Café forum as I plan to follow up other areas of
research within the community.

to me, then, her accepting modship suggests she will not be/has not been following up with research in the BFC community. as long as she is abiding by that, i don't what everyone's problem with her is. i mean my criticism of her moderation of my deleted catlover post (page 2 of this thread) was satirical, petulant, and shallow. certainly nothing that should be relevant to judging moderator quality/appropriateness. is there something i don't know about with regard to her interactions with other forum members that has so many people angry or at least hostile to the academic turned Dr. turned moderator?
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Yeah, if somehow this thread dissolves into a mod election through the power of self-appointed vox pop, I too vote Fansy. Now let's all post awkward nude pics. You go first.

Kurt wrote: I was not "trained" in ethics.
Aha, a joke!
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby nowonmai » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 pm

I have to say the bit that keeps making me chuckle here is the second best example of a bystander getting walloped by the person they least expected . We know have two examples:

-Els30 getting lamped and knocked out for the camp by Friendlyskies as she windmilled in;

- Now this is a corker from vlindsay who in melting down goes for the women, because the one thing she despises the most is other women. Poor old longsuffering Svizz. There, there old gel, I'd make you a nice G&T if I could and even listen to some of your stories to make you feel better.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aryan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:09 am

Just downloaded the paper, reading it now. I can't imagine how any of this was approved in the UK. How many people were aware they were involuntarily recruited in a study? Even if the participants are anonymous there's things you need to make them aware of. Using a person's username doesn't guarantee they're anonymous. People can use identifying information as part of their username, and may use the same username on more than one website.

What pisses me off the most...I get zero mentions. Nowonmai gets to be SBS in Vlindsay's fantasy world, I should at least be MI5. Maybe I should have made more hot stewardess threads.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:58 pm

http://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/ wrote:Restricted to Repository staff only until 31 December 2013.

Oh dear.

I can tell this is a soap opera because I feel guilty for being entertained.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:13 pm

an unfortunate turn of events. it was entertaining.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skirita » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Aryan wrote:What pisses me off the most...I get zero mentions. Nowonmai gets to be SBS in Vlindsay's fantasy world, I should at least be MI5. Maybe I should have made more hot stewardess threads.

I would be shocked if I were mentioned, but now I can't even download it to check. Can someone who has it (and is willing to email it) PM me?

Also, BFC, don't think I didn't notice that you gave Tarkan a "Welcome back!" but not me. Bastards. I am at least as neurotic in my opinions on constitutional law as he is.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Skirita wrote:
Aryan wrote:What pisses me off the most...I get zero mentions. Nowonmai gets to be SBS in Vlindsay's fantasy world, I should at least be MI5. Maybe I should have made more hot stewardess threads.

I would be shocked if I were mentioned, but now I can't even download it to check. Can someone who has it (and is willing to email it) PM me?

Also, BFC, don't think I didn't notice that you gave Tarkan a "Welcome back!" but not me. Bastards. I am at least as neurotic in my opinions on constitutional law as he is.

I actually have it in printed form but it is in Wisconsin.

It would not fit in my bags on the way home because we had so much wedding stuff to take back.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Aryan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Just had a look at the Bournemouth University website. It says it's restricted, but you can still download it. Just click on where it says PDF in blue below "Full text available as:" and it will download. The incompetent IT guys only put the message up but forgot to actually delete the download when VLindsay told them to take it down.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skirita » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Tried that. Getting a login prompt with the message "Login for BURO editors only."
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

PreviousNext

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe