POLL: Why am I supposed to be outraged by a magazine cover?

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

What is the fake Rolling Stone kerfuffle supposed to distract the USA from?

1. The Zimmerman verdict has proven that USAmericans don't do race riots like the used to, even when shamelessly incited by the msm, presumably because social media networks allow people to connect and organize in more proactive ways. Without the predicted race riots, there's a lot of space to fill on the 24/7 news shows, and this fills those slots neatly.
No votes
2. The US Circuit of Appeals Court just made it a-ok to indefinitely detain US citizens without a trial or charges, per the NDAA, and we wouldn't want people getting outraged about that http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/ ... _20130717/
33%
3. Detroit is going bankrupt even as the stock market hits record highs, highlighting the fact that the USA's rising Gini coefficient is directly resulting from public policy decisions, rather than chance.
67%
4. Epic floods and heat waves, not to mention fracking-related earthquakes, are lending their usual summertime creedence to environmentalists worried about fossil fuel use, so we need to keep people especially entertained right now.
No votes
5. The whole Snowden/NSA thing, duh.
No votes
6. Other
No votes

Total votes : 3

POLL: Why am I supposed to be outraged by a magazine cover?

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm

So, the Illuminati or whoever clearly wants me to be outraged because Rolling Stone magazine put a picture of the Boston Bomber on the cover, looking like a nice, reasonably attractive, young man:

That's just fucking stupid. Why would anyone be outraged by this? Because they were told to by the mass media. Why does the mass media want me to be outraged by this? Well, I have some guesses, but I'm not sure. Hence the poll.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: POLL: Why am I supposed to be outraged by a magazine cov

Postby svizzerams » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 pm

friendlyskies wrote:So, the Illuminati or whoever clearly wants me to be outraged because Rolling Stone magazine put a picture of the Boston Bomber on the cover, looking like a nice, reasonably attractive, young man:

That's just fucking stupid. Why would anyone be outraged by this? Because they were told to by the mass media. Why does the mass media want me to be outraged by this? Well, I have some guesses, but I'm not sure. Hence the poll.

I picked the global warming et al option because I believe that Rolling Stone was ordered to put that foto on the cover so people would be so distracted and outraged they would not purchase the magazine and therefore fewer people would read the other cover article about the arctic melting. So clearly it is 4.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Nice logic! But I thought of another possibility - this is obviously going to be a bonanza for Rolling Stone, this is probably going to be their biggest print run in eons. So maybe the Illuminati put together a fake story about the bombers, an explanation of sorts for the masses, to hide the real story. You know, that the guy didn't really get shot in the neck, or they were Lee Harvey Oswald type patsies, or whatever the REAL story is.

I mean, they just killed off one of RS's top reporters, now everyone in the newsroom is spooked? I dunno. Anyway, I looked up the author of the piece, one Janet Reitman, and she's written a book about how awful Scientology is and exactly nine stories for Rolling Stone:

Jahar's World | ARTICLE
Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and...
July 17, 2013 11:00 AM ET

The Trials of Bradley Manning | ARTICLE
In June 2010, about two weeks into his military detention at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, Bradley Manning, the 22-year-old Army private accused of leaking...
March 14, 2013 12:55 PM ET

Did the Mainstream Media Fail Bradley Manning? | ARTICLE
For over a year, the story of Bradley Manning has been covered by a handful of journalists, many of them young, independent bloggers or reporters who have tirelessly shown up at hearing after hearing while more mainstream...
March 1, 2013 5:30 PM ET

Bradley Manning Explains His Motives | ARTICLE
For the past two and a half years, Bradley Manning, the soldier accused of giving hundreds of thousands of classified documents to Wikileaks, has been the quiet enigma at heart of the largest and most contentious intelligence...
February 28, 2013 4:45 PM ET

Jeremy Hammond Speaks Out in Memory of Aaron Swartz | ARTICLE
Almost a year after his arrest and indictment for allegedly hacking Stratfor, the private intelligence agency, the accused Anonymous hacktivist Jeremy Hammond has condemned the government and its "aggressive prosecution, riddled with abuse and misconduct," for the death of...
February 23, 2013 4:20 PM ET

The Rise and Fall of Jeremy Hammond: Enemy of the State | ARTICLE
On a cold day in mid-December 2011, a hacker known as "sup_g" sat alone at his computer – invisible, or so he believed. He'd been working on the target for hours, long after the rest of his...
December 7, 2012 1:20 PM ET

Confessions of an Ivy League Frat Boy: Inside Dartmouth's Hazing Abuses | ARTICLE
Long before Andrew Lohse became a pariah at Dartmouth College, he was just another scarily accomplished teenager with lofty ambitions. Five feet 10 with large blue eyes and the kind of sweet-faced demeanor that...
March 28, 2012 2:05 PM ET

Beyond Relief: How the World Failed Haiti | ARTICLE
In March of last year, two months after the devastating earthquake that killed 300,000 Haitians and left more than a million homeless, Sean Penn was faced with a monumental challenge. Penn, who had been spending most of...
August 4, 2011 1:35 PM ET

Inside Scientology | ARTICLE
The faded little downtown area of Clearwater, Florida, has a beauty salon, a pizza parlor and one or two run-down bars, as well as a bunch of withered bungalows and some old storefronts that look...

Anyway, she went to Columbia (very NSA-y type school, right?) and the Johns Hopkins School for Advanced International Studies in Washington, DC. Ahem. She has also written for GQ, Men's Journal, the Los Angeles Times Sunday Magazine, and Salon. She lives with L Christopher Smith, author of The Fort Carson Murder Spree | ARTICLE: This article originally appeared in RS 1091 from November 12, 2009. This issue and the rest of the Rolling Stone archives are available via Rolling Stone Plus, Rolling Stone's premium subscription plan. If you are...

Not much else about her on the first few pages of google. Her LinkedIn profile is blocked even though she's in my network. Anyway.....
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby roach coach » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:05 am

I blame the Tumblr crowd. Since Yahoo bought that site, they're now commercially viable. Expect more covers with the most recent active young active shooter, pretty young bomber, or political articles the extreme social justice warrior who thinks holding the door for someone is akin to rape and genocide. It'll be what sells with the kids.
..................__
............/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
........\.................'...../
.........'\............. _.·´
...........\..............(
............\..............\
BROFIST
roach coach
BFCus Regularus