motorcycles

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: motorcycles

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:05 pm

so did you have to buy a new battery and clean the carbs?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Lev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:09 pm

I removed the battery before putting the bike away. It is fuell injection, and Ive not drained for storage in 9 years. Just a quick squirt of Redex in the first tankfull of the new season clears it out nicely.

Lev
Lev

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:34 pm

i heard you don't need to worry about the fuel going bad in a fuel injected engine because it is a closed system - is this true?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 pm

I've never heard that, so I'm interested too. I always put some Stabil in before I put it away and after I pull it out, which may be unnecessary if you fill the tank up all the way before putting it to bed. In my boat engine, I always use marine formula Stabil in every tank now that the fuel has ethanol in it. Expensive, but it gives me piece of mind and I only run it a few times per month.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby justin_ruch1180 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 am

I am fascinated by motorcycles but I don't ride one..
justin_ruch1180

Postby Woodsman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 pm

I have a fuel injected bike.

I wouldn't even consider keeping fuel in it for more than 1 year straight storage without fuel stabilizer and over 3 years with any fuel in it at all.

I store it 4-5 months a year in my barn and this is year #4. I've never used stabilizer. All I do is keep an auto battery tender on the battery and in the spring I put the key in and it fires up like I just rode it yesterday. Only thing I do before I ride is check the air in the tires.

During the reasonable season, the bike hardly ever gets a rest.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 am

10% ethanol fuel gums up carbs. As long as your carb.(s) are drained your tank can stay full, with the addition of a fuel stabilizer. most bikes in the last 10 years are not gravity fed, but vacuum fed. Just treat your full tank with stabilizer, close the petcock ,and run it out of fuel. Should be good for months of storage.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby Brent » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 am

Brent wrote:royal enfield.

AHHH!!! First time logging back in this forum in years and this thread is still going strong... :)

btw i've slightly changed my decision after 2.3 years of owning two different royals...Think i might go for an old triumph to fix up.

just came across this (fingers crossed):
1969 Triumph TR6 650.
Brent
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!