LED Edison bulb Review

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

LED Edison bulb Review

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:23 am

I just ordered a bunch of these from Superbrightleds.com

http://superbrightleds.com/edison.html

My living room is now lighted by three of the E27-W57 model. Pretty expensive at $27.95 each but they do light the room so I can read and stuff but it is a different kind of light than I am used to. They only consume 5 watts each and have a long life so I think the batch of three will pay for themsevles within the year. I can tell right now that for reading or other activities these lights are fine but that they would be terrible for something like photography..Plus they don't quite light up the walls...Which is not really bad but it is noticable.

The one that I got that does light up the walls but are not as bright as the living room models is the more expensive E27-G60-31SW at $29.95. But it is about the power of a 25 watt bulb and I cannot see three being any brighter than one, so it is now in my very small hallway.

The big suprise was how well the amber model looks in my old lamp. Sorta like candle light but without the fire. very nice for what it does since it is not a replacement for any bulb but an amber one. Its the E27-24 Wide Angle at $9.95 for amber ...red and amber are the cheapest, and you pay more for white, blue and green.

I also got a really cool looking one that changes colors from red, green and blue. I intend to use this one to mimic someone at home watching tv.

So my recomendations are to get one if you have a light on all the time, since it will save you a bundle of cash and if you need specialty lighting (like I said the amber ones look good in lamps) but hold off on replaceing your convential lighting until the prices come down or they get brighter.

Get the color changing ones just because they look cool.

I can see also where they would have value if you were trying to see if you could live off the grid with solar or wind power. They would compliment your investment in that area.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: LED Edison bulb Review

Postby shivers » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:35 am

Kurt wrote:The big suprise was how well the amber model looks in my old lamp. Sorta like candle light but without the fire.

Sexy.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby loki547 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:45 am

Kurt wrote:
I also got a really cool looking one that changes colors from red, green and blue. I intend to use this one to mimic someone at home watching tv.

just out of curiousity, why not just leave the tv on? if you are trying a lure on the other hand, i understand.
loki547

Postby shivers » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:48 am

Because it uses a lot less electricity?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 am

Yep, saving electricity.

Its the whole point of the bulbs actually since I am one of those idiots that always forgets to turn off a light when I leave a room. The energy efficiant flourescent bulbs saved me tons of cash due to my bad habit and I am hoping these will save me evfen more.

Maybe if I had an LCD TV it wouln't be so bad but I have a 12 year old CRT.

Switching to flourescent lights saved me about $20 to $15 a month on my bills but that was switching from 60watt incandescent to 25 watt flourescent and that was in seven places only. The problem with the LED bulbs is that in order to get the light from one 25 watt flourescent in an area I had to switch to 3 LED bulbs at $28 each running a combined 15 watts, so it will take a long time to cover the cost. The light is useable but not as good.

If you have alot of lamps and want cheap mood lighting buy them for sure. For real lighting go to flourescent edison bulbs and you will save cash and have light.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re:

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Kurt wrote:Yep, saving electricity.

Its the whole point of the bulbs actually since I am one of those idiots that always forgets to turn off a light when I leave a room. The energy efficiant flourescent bulbs saved me tons of cash due to my bad habit and I am hoping these will save me evfen more.

Maybe if I had an LCD TV it wouln't be so bad but I have a 12 year old CRT.

Switching to flourescent lights saved me about $20 to $15 a month on my bills but that was switching from 60watt incandescent to 25 watt flourescent and that was in seven places only. The problem with the LED bulbs is that in order to get the light from one 25 watt flourescent in an area I had to switch to 3 LED bulbs at $28 each running a combined 15 watts, so it will take a long time to cover the cost. The light is useable but not as good.

If you have alot of lamps and want cheap mood lighting buy them for sure. For real lighting go to flourescent edison bulbs and you will save cash and have light.

Mr. Spammer brought this one up again and I had forgotten about it.

Anyway...the LED lightbulbs I got drove me mad. My brain told me it was dark and the lights were off when they were really on. Perhaps they have improved in three years but the bulbs ended up sucking. Except for the really low power colored ones for little lamps and stuff.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

The LED folks pimp their product by suggesting an 8 watt LED is equal to a 40 watt incandescent.

Most of the incandescent bulbs in my house start out at 60 watts for a small lamp and go from there.

I can appreciate spending more now in order to spend less later.

I am a huge efficiency fan.

That being said, I don't value only efficiency over practicality. If the quality or quantity of light is insufficient, the value is lost for me.

There is no light that can even come close to replacing natural light of the sun and the moon, and in a dark place, even the stars. A fire is second best. Candles are wonderful, but on the other hand - highly impractical.

We just bought a few LED party "christmas" light strands and I really like the colors of these lights, but they are not nearly as bright as their incandescent counterparts.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!