Knives

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby soulohio » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:31 pm

so is there some sort of sheaf-grip we can strap on these knives that you can use for traction after you gut your foe, or are you supposed to just use these knifes for sharpening pencils? the CRKT is great...but get it bloddy and what have you got...besides a bloody knife?
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Cool_Breeze » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:31 pm

I carry a standard Swiss Army everyday, but if I'm in country somewhere I use a Columbia River Knife Technology "Point Guard".

http://www.crkt.com/ptguard.html

Light, yet strong and quite tough, half serrated, good overall knife.
Cool_Breeze

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 am

Cool_Breeze wrote:I carry a standard Swiss Army everyday, but if I'm in country somewhere I use a Columbia River Knife Technology "Point Guard".

http://www.crkt.com/ptguard.html

Light, yet strong and quite tough, half serrated, good overall knife.

See – Another satisfied CRKT owner

soulohio wrote:so is there some sort of sheaf-grip we can strap on these knives that you can use for traction after you gut your foe, or are you supposed to just use these knifes for sharpening pencils? the CRKT is great...but get it bloddy and what have you got...besides a bloody knife?

It won’t slip – that’s what the holes on the grip are for. But I suppose you could get some pistol grip tape (like the kind they sell for Glocks) and stick a few strips on your CRKT

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby nowonmai » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:36 pm

I took your advice and got a CRKT Msomething or other titanium. Very light, very durable, good grip, bombproof lock and great opening mechanism (too good, its compulsive). Great knife.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:33 pm

nowonmai wrote:... bombproof lock and great opening mechanism (too good, its compulsive). Great knife.

yea, you are rigjht there...it is compulsive....
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:53 am

You guys should check out the micro tech site..
pretty cool...wayyyy expensive knives though.

www.microtechknives.com
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby soulohio » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 pm

stop it! stop the madness! i can't spend every dime i have on stuff i can't ingest!
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Moosehead » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:20 am

further CRKT testimony:

I found a "Point Guard" out on the ATV on Canada Day. It was by a lake, covered in grit and mud. The lock mechanism was frozen shut. It looked pretty rough, all the screws are rusted out and the spine of the blade spotted with rust.

So, took it back to the shop, put it in the vice, stuck some WD-40 and applied pliers, two beer, and a roofing hammer trying to get it open. No luck. Thought it was broken; a write off. Put some nasty machine lube on it and let it sit for a few hours. Eventually forced it open in the vice, but still stiff as hell and the locking action was not working. Been soaking it in a dishsoap/hotwater mix today and getting all the dirt off it - pipe cleaner and whatnot, long story long - got the action working and it opens/locks/closes like a dream.

Bit of oil, good as new. What a find. +1 CRKT.
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Moosehead
BFCus Regularus

Postby Swordsman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:21 am

For multitool I prefer gerber. I have so far gone through two CRKT's. One CRKT M16-14Z and one CRKT M16-14M.
The feel of the handle is superb on them. Feels very good even when you are prying things open, doesn't cut in anywhere on your hand as you handle it, the action is swift and smooth on them as long as you keep them well maintained and oiled.

My first one was an M16-14Z that I used as my EDC for 3 months before the locking mechanism stopped working as it should. I had to engage the LAWKS for it to not close on me.
CKRT stood behind their product and told me to just send it in and they would look at it - they did so, and upgraded me to an M16-14M by giving me a gift certificate for one that I took to my local friendly knife shop.
The M16-14M worked just fine, just like the 14Z had, and also developed a very swift and smooth opening and closing sequence after loosening it up a bit and oiling it well. Though the tanto tip broke off(about half an inch broke off) on that one as I was opening a crate. Prying using your CRKT blade is not covered by CRKT's warranty, no surprise.

Another thing that happened to both of the blades was that they developed rust spots along the blade when I didn't keep them well maintained and well oiled. So if you decide to chop up some tomatoes(or a fish, or an iraqi prisoner(just kidding kids)) using it as your standing in the kitchen of the hostel or out in the middle of nowhere remember to wipe the blade down religiously and to oil it up afterwards. Also that sand gets very easily in to the mechanism of the CRKT M16 series and that you will need to open it up and clean it out quite often therefor.

Edge retainment wasn't that great either, though easy to sharpen. But its a cheap but decent blade to summarize.

I am sure that >someone< will tell you that he has never had to sharpen his M16 blade, never had it fail, never had to clean the knife, never had to oil it, never had to do anything but to cut through M1A1's with it.

ADDED: Oh and as to sharpening kits, if you have the time and a nice stable flat surface to work off I'd recommend the SpyderCo Sharpmaker 204(Roughly 40-50 USD+Shipping). Otherwise there are many nice sharpening kits out there. If the Sharpmaker isn't your thing, then I have used the Kershaw Ultra-Tek Sharpener and liked it. Its a nice piece to travel with and has nice bar fight usages as well. Costs something like 20 USD plus shipping
Swordsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:10 pm

My favorite knife:

snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:16 pm

ALL THESE CAN BE YOURS!

FOR JUST $19.95 THAT'S RIGHT JUST $19.95 THAT'S $19.95!!!!!!!!!

DON"T DELAY!!! THAT"S $19.95!!!!!!!!!!!

Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 pm

I took your advice and got a CRKT Msomething or other titanium. Very light, very durable, good grip, bombproof lock and great opening mechanism (too good, its compulsive). Great knife.

I've been using one as my day-time pocket knife for awhile now and it really is tits.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:59 am

For me, Leatherman is the ticket. In fact, my current one is a Charge Ti. Before that, I owned (and lost) a wave, which was almost as cool as this one. I still have one of the original tools too, copies of which can be bought for dirt cheap - with quality to match.

I love one tool that does just about everything, and while it's no machete, it's amazing in what it can do.

Cabela's sells these knives, which have a blued or blackened coating on all the blades, which I like very much - not a big fan of the camo job, but whatever it's made of seems to bind to the Titanium very well.

So far, I haven't been able to break this one. I broke two of the originals and Leatherman replaced them both with new ones. The only thing that didn't last on this one was the belt clip (broke 4 of those before I decided to use the sheath instead).
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Leatherman?

Postby AdventureDoc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:19 pm

I carry a leatherman multi-tool and have never had a problem. Granted, I have never been in a knife fight, but it seems to do ok for what I need. The leatherman stuff seems pretty bomb-proof. Anybody had a problem with one?

I also like Kershaw knives. http://www.kershawknives.com/.
AdventureDoc
BFCus Regularus

Re: Knives

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:17 pm

CRKT M-16 Carson has served me well for many years. I like Spyderco knives, Ive had luck with the items Ive bought from Cold Steel. Ive not had the same luck with the Gerber items Ive purchased, it may be just me.
Leatherman multitools are the item to get for a useful overall tool. You may find yourself using it a hundred times a day.
Fixed blades, get you the RAT knives. If you have not purchased the DPx H.E.S.T. mentioned above you may be missing out on one fantastic knife. Ive gotten the SERE 5 from RAT (Randall Adventure Training) and it is excellent. Its a horse of a knife well worth the price, and it is something you can count of when the chips are down. Before hand Id purchased the TAK and RTAK from the manufacturer making the RAT knives at the time. I believe they still make their line of Randall knives, and they are excellent knives too. The RAT folder to my way of thinking has a lot to be desired. It looks like a cheap import knife which is basically what it is. The RAT knives made for Randall are worth having. Do yourself a favor and get one of the DPx H.E.S.T and use it. If it is anything like my SERE 5,( which it will be) it will be one great knife for any adventure.The more you carry it and use it the more uses you will find you have for it.
CONCHOKID

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!