Knives

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Knives

Postby lightstalker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:03 am

The blade on my 3rd Swiss army knife broke yesterday so Im out to get a new and better knife that wont break.Does anyone have any suggestions?.
I have always liked the look of the Gerber knives but someone suggested Benchmade to me.Any thoughts?.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby Caliban » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:09 pm

I've been a bit of a knife junkie all my life and have to say that Gerbers are my favourites for all round reliability. I veer away from the from time to time but always end up with a Gerber in my back pocket (sounds like an ad !) Benchmade are not bad at all , but I like gerbers for their clean lines, no bells and whistles if you know what I mean.

My current break from Gerbers is a Lone Wolf folder that I picked up cheap on ebay and am V. pleased with. Bought it because it looked nice!!!!
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 am

I got this one:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=227

You can open it one handed by using the "notch" on it to hook onto your pocket.

But my main knife is still the Cybertool:

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/Swiss_Arm ... sacy29.htm

The shop at the link above is a bit expensive IMO.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Ezekiel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:41 am

Have a look at this site, expensive but good knives.

http://www.topsknives.com/index.php
Don't be afraid to show the love you have for your family today, they may not be there tomorrow.
Ezekiel
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:32 am

I've been on a Spyderco kick of late this is my latest carry fave:

Spyderco Lava
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:02 pm

I like my Entrek, but I don't know if they make folders.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Professor Devlin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:44 pm

I carry an Emerson Commander as my everyday knife. It has the wave feature that the Spyderco Kurt was talking about. It is a great knife but might me more then most people want to carry on them. It also may not be legal in some places. Emerson has a very full line of knives starting just under $100 and up.

As for a multi tool, I have had two different Leathermen and have had no problems with them at all.

Here is the link for Emerson.

http://www.emersonknives.com/
Professor Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks for the links guys.I do like the look of those spyderco knives ...interesting designs.Might just go for one or those or a benchmade seeing as I can get a discount through a friend.
The emerson knives look pretty slick as well but I dont think I want to spend that much.I have a Gerber multitool which is excellent.
Cheers.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby redharen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:48 pm

I seriously believe that unless you're into, like, gutting people on a regular basis, the type of knife you carry doesn't matter that much. I try to carry a cheap knife that I won't get too broken-hearted about if I lose it. Most knives are pretty good about keeping an edge, and that's about all that matters.
redharen
small ax

Postby jimboCA » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:03 am

check out coldsteel.com knives,great knives at great prices,emerson is good but i personally think the prices are outrages for something with a g-10 handle,at that prices ide expect a titanium handle,for working outdoors i carry a coldsteel,for all around carry i take my spyderco police 4 inch model modified to open when pulled out of the pocket,i had a lanyard hole drilled into it because the stainless handle could get slippery at times,its ultra-thin plus strong and fully serrated so the edge keeps longer.benchmade is a great brand so you cant go wrong there and gerber has a few good models with quality steel like the appelgate fairbairn folder,also check out CRKT knives,battle tested in iraq,a soldier used his desert cruiser to take down an insurgent.i would suggest http://topsknives.com/ for great fixed blades and folders,there are many knives and they are personal choices,i listed brands that i own and have used,i dont understand why smith and wesson,winchester make great guns but their knives are shit,but ide go for topsknives ,if you live in an area where you are allowed autos ide go for microtech
jimboCA
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:20 am

CRKT M16-14T = The absolute best knife that I have ever owned

I have carried it all around the world, in Southeast Asian Jungles to Urban cities and everywhere in between. I have abused it like no other knife that I have owned and it is the ONLY knife that I have never broken (and I have broken dozens)

http://www.theprofessionaladventurer.co ... &c=blended

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby soulohio » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:29 pm

well mr jitw you just sold me a knife so if it breaks when i try and cut a pair of handcuffs or won't work in a jack when i try and change a tire...i'll want a full refund.
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:18 pm

If you break it I will buy you a new one

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby soulohio » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:39 pm

haha! weell...i will let you know if i break it doing soulohio duty because i know you can afford it....
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:53 am

Spyderco has always served me well. I am not telling you it is the best knife in the world, but for the price they are great. The only time I ever buy a new one is when I give it away.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!