Knives

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Knives

Postby neelix » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Benchmade barrage regular or mini. Comfortable strong. Easy to open. HOWEVER you can beat the small tops knives for durability. Paracord and a neck sheath for one hand or just kydex in the pocket. Brick fucking shithouse
So long and thanks for all the fish
D Adams
neelix

Postby guvnor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Benchmade Griptilian/Mini-Griptilian are probably the best EDC folding knives for the money. If you need something that will double as a 'tactical' knife, the Spyderco Delica/Endura with the Emerson Wave are unbeatable for their price.

If price isn't a factor, you can't go wrong with a Chris Reeves Sebenza or a Strider SNG.
“I used to look down on the world for being corrupt, but now I adore it for the utter magnificence of that corruption.”

- Richard J. Needham
guvnor

Postby bearanddragon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Ugh, just stay away from swiss army knives. overatted and not nearly as rugged as they can be. For multitools, go with SOG, Gerber or Leatherman...For knives, I agree with guvnor: huge fan of benchmade...having had 2
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby The-Dude » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:03 pm

I just got a spyderco tenacious and love it. G10 scales, good steel, ambi clip, lanyard hole, and best of all reasonable price. seems like a $60+ knife, i got mine new for 30$. if that seems a bit big for you they have an identical scaled down version called the persistence. damn, im starting to sound like a rep.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, raise the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
-Gandhi
The-Dude
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:26 am

I dig Spyderco as well. I also like their cheaper chinese made models called Byrd Knives.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby neelix » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:16 am

spyderco auto in pocket now
So long and thanks for all the fish
D Adams
neelix

Postby swordpoint9 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 am

I am surprised no one mentioned the Cold Steel Recon Tanto Folder had mine since 2003! Everyday carry through copping and Iraq as a contractor and gutting all my deer bulletproof rolling lock...
Hit it with your purse!
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby DBR » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Are you breaking real Swiss Army Knives? Victorinox?

If so, learn how to use knives.

If you are using Wenger or a lesser brand, try Vics out.
I was on my way back from the P.O., not the Parole Officer, but the Post Office, and I was being followed by Yuri and Sergei Cutchikokoff. Normally these guys were my Ketel One dealers, but today was much, much different...

Survival Lab Blog
DBR

Postby JLR » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:05 am

I just got a RAT Cutlery Izula a couple of days ago. An important point on the RAT stuff is the warranty: replacement with no questions asked, excluding only rust and normal wear. If you break it, they replace it.

I was leaning really hard in the direction of the H.E.S.T., but wanted to test quality before dropping $90 on a brand I wasn't personally familiar with. I think I'll pick up a H.E.S.T. next.

I would really like to see these guys give a little more thought to carry options, though. If you purchase an Izula or H.E.S.T., be prepared to make an after-market investment, depending on your needs and style.
JLR

Postby RYP » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Its an interesting conundrum because a sheath can cost as much as a knife and there is no one ideal or even perfect method. I like a heavy leather sheath like in the old Buck days but leather is evil to 1095 steel. Kydex is stoneage and injection molded plastic looks cheap but costs a fortune to set up.

Then there are the mounting options. Endless.

And the RAT DPx H•E•S•T is a much different knife than the Izula.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby DBR » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:48 pm

When I first saw the HEST, I was skeptical. I've been using knives all of my life and been in on designing more than one for a custom maker that they actually made some money off of. The HEST is different in a way, yeah, you really did a very good job with the design input on it. RAT Cutlery does a great job on anything they do.

The HEST is just a smidge larger than the Izula so they are in the same basic size envelope and if you rule out custom knives, the three knives to beat in this size package are the Izula, HEST and the Becker Necker now made by Kabar, formerly by Camillus. To go smaller and to have a hit and run blade almost entirely for defensive purposes, a Perrin-designed LaGriffe made by Emerson Knives or from Perrin himself is hard to beat. They are incredibly easy to conceal and they disappear in the hand, especially a hand that is your hand in a dark alley somewhere.

The HEST is interesting though, to say the least. How did you come upon the ideas that led to the final design Mr. Pelton?
I was on my way back from the P.O., not the Parole Officer, but the Post Office, and I was being followed by Yuri and Sergei Cutchikokoff. Normally these guys were my Ketel One dealers, but today was much, much different...

Survival Lab Blog
DBR

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:15 pm

I still say CRKT - You can’t buy a better production knife

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby DBR » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 pm

CRicKeTs are good throwaways, I've owned several, I don't know about them being the "best" of anything really.

Survival Lab Blog
DBR

Postby JLR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 am

RYP wrote:Its an interesting conundrum because a sheath can cost as much as a knife and there is no one ideal or even perfect method. I like a heavy leather sheath like in the old Buck days but leather is evil to 1095 steel. Kydex is stoneage and injection molded plastic looks cheap but costs a fortune to set up.

Then there are the mounting options. Endless.

And the RAT DPx H•E•S•T is a much different knife than the Izula.

Cursed with a hard-core knife obsession since childhood, I'm always anxious to see for myself the results of sensible-yet-ballsy design efforts. My HEST arrives this morning, and I'm considering a comparison review between the HEST and Izula. When I was researching the HEST, I was able to find only one set of specs (I don't like to rely on single sources), so maybe I can provide some helpful information for those who are interested in the HEST.

I agree with you on the sheath issue. Personally, I don't mind an after-market sheath purchase, but many people out there expect complete satisfaction with any purchase, knife or otherwise. My comment was simply to provide a heads-up on the issue.

I would be interested in learning how you became involved with the HEST project, RYP. Is the account published online anywhere?
JLR

Postby JLR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 am

DBR wrote:CRicKeTs are good throwaways, I've owned several, I don't know about them being the "best" of anything really.

Agreed. CRKT is the low-end of my range of preference. Lower grade steels and construction components equal lower grade tools. To get a respectable degree of quality from CRKT, you will have to spend. If you're going to spend that much, I would recommend a better brand -- Benchmade being my primary choice over the years.
JLR

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!