Knives

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Knives

Postby Devlin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:51 am

Benchmade have done me well over the years. An Emerson production knife is my everyday knife. The best deal on a knife, I ever received is a Gerber Tac II that was given to me by a friend. He had no use for it and just gave it away.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:47 am

" would be interested in learning how you became involved with the HEST project, RYP. Is the account published online anywhere?"

Its not that dramatic a story. I spent a lot of time in the woods when I was young (working as a lumberjack, blaster, driller etc), then a lot of time doing expeditions in Asia and Africa then a lot of times when you really don't want to carry a lot of things but what you do carry has to do double duty. You don't need much to get by but the things you bring often don't live up to the hype, knives, boots, clothing, gear, cameras, tools etc.

Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin are friends who I would describe as no bullshit, no drama survival experts (they teach courses in the jungle in Peru and are old school "good ole boys" with high intellects. I have always been a fan of no bullshit, made in america, solid performance products that get better with age and use. so the RAT DPx H•E•S•T was the first product I designed. Next will be the DPx H•E•F•T a knife made for military use. Next will probably be a pack system that integrates with clothing. Its surprising to me how little thought goes into consumer or even military products. Mostly I guess because they try to do too many things or they cut costs to where its almost an imitation of what it should be. The idea is if you buy one of my products you should be able to give to your grandkids...and it will still be warranteed and fully functional.

And another thing. Listen to your customers. They spend all day with your product and they know more about it than you do. That's probably why I was a successful product developer and marketer. Give the people what they want, make it affordable, elegant and a object to be desired.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby JLR » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 am

RYP wrote:" would be interested in learning how you became involved with the HEST project, RYP. Is the account published online anywhere?"

Its not that dramatic a story. I spent a lot of time in the woods when I was young (working as a lumberjack, blaster, driller etc), then a lot of time doing expeditions in Asia and Africa then a lot of times when you really don't want to carry a lot of things but what you do carry has to do double duty. You don't need much to get by but the things you bring often don't live up to the hype, knives, boots, clothing, gear, cameras, tools etc.

Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin are friends who I would describe as no bullshit, no drama survival experts (they teach courses in the jungle in Peru and are old school "good ole boys" with high intellects. I have always been a fan of no bullshit, made in america, solid performance products that get better with age and use. so the RAT DPx H•E•S•T was the first product I designed. Next will be the DPx H•E•F•T a knife made for military use. Next will probably be a pack system that integrates with clothing. Its surprising to me how little thought goes into consumer or even military products. Mostly I guess because they try to do too many things or they cut costs to where its almost an imitation of what it should be. The idea is if you buy one of my products you should be able to give to your grandkids...and it will still be warranteed and fully functional.

And another thing. Listen to your customers. They spend all day with your product and they know more about it than you do. That's probably why I was a successful product developer and marketer. Give the people what they want, make it affordable, elegant and a object to be desired.

Thanks. I thought I had read somewhere that you were friends with Jeff and Mike.

I got my H•E•S•T this week, and I really dig it. I published specs and my impressions at http://rufkuts.com, if you're interested.

I'm looking forward to seeing your H•E•F•T model. It sounds very interesting. I'm in the market for good pack, too. Will your upcoming pack become available soon, or is it still in the planning phase?
JLR

Postby bamf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Maybe someone in here will know - I used to have a Gerber, bought the damn thing at Wal Mart for ~30 bucks, it was a great little knife. Black with a black blade, half serrated, had a little safety switch on it. It was a folding knife, but on the handle there was a place where the housing receeded, leaving a little piece of the backside of the blade exposed, shaped almost like a little button. It was assisted opening, and basically you could take it out with one hand, flip the safety switch off with one finger, press your pointer finger on the exposed backside of the blade and push down, and that would swivel the blade and pop the knife open. It was the handiest little thing I ever owned, being able to be taken out and opened with one hand while my other was occupied (I dunno why, but I tend to get into this situation a lot. Maybe I have poor planning skills). And boy was it durable, I mean I didn't do the things you guys did with your knives, but I cut car parts, building materials, gutted a couple deer, pried things with it; hell, I even whipped it out at a restaurant when they gave us shit knives to cut our steak with. And when it got dirty in the dishwasher it went, and came out beautiful!

Anyways, I realize I could just get a switchblade as my state allows carry with a permit, but I'm really just not interested in them and some states aren't too fond of switchblades; as I take a knife almost everywhere with me I'd rather not deal with yet more state laws to study before travelling. Anyone know anything nice like that old Gerber knife, or know if they still make it? I went to Wal Mart a couple weeks ago and their new 'assisted opening' gerber knives are basically impossible to open in such a simple manner with one finger.
bamf

Postby JLR » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:18 am

bamf wrote:Maybe someone in here will know - I used to have a Gerber, bought the damn thing at Wal Mart for ~30 bucks, it was a great little knife. Black with a black blade, half serrated, had a little safety switch on it. It was a folding knife, but on the handle there was a place where the housing receeded, leaving a little piece of the backside of the blade exposed, shaped almost like a little button. It was assisted opening, and basically you could take it out with one hand, flip the safety switch off with one finger, press your pointer finger on the exposed backside of the blade and push down, and that would swivel the blade and pop the knife open. It was the handiest little thing I ever owned, being able to be taken out and opened with one hand while my other was occupied (I dunno why, but I tend to get into this situation a lot. Maybe I have poor planning skills). And boy was it durable, I mean I didn't do the things you guys did with your knives, but I cut car parts, building materials, gutted a couple deer, pried things with it; hell, I even whipped it out at a restaurant when they gave us shit knives to cut our steak with. And when it got dirty in the dishwasher it went, and came out beautiful!

Anyways, I realize I could just get a switchblade as my state allows carry with a permit, but I'm really just not interested in them and some states aren't too fond of switchblades; as I take a knife almost everywhere with me I'd rather not deal with yet more state laws to study before travelling. Anyone know anything nice like that old Gerber knife, or know if they still make it? I went to Wal Mart a couple weeks ago and their new 'assisted opening' gerber knives are basically impossible to open in such a simple manner with one finger.

I'm not sure which Gerber model you're describing, but I have a SOG Twitch II that operates like it. It's a small folder with both a thumb stud and a "flipper hump" on the blade that, when pressed with the forefinger with the knife in the closed position, flings the blade out using an assisted opening feature. It's pretty quick, and very convenient. Personally, I don't even use the thumb stud on the side of the blade. This model is a lock-back, with a locking feature sitting just behind the blade lock that secures the blade open and closed. It's one of my favorite folding knives, bar none. AUS-8 blade steel, hard anodized aluminum handle scales, and solid construction. SOG lists the knife at http://sogknives.com/store/TWI-8.html, and it retails between $30.00-$40.00 USD. I picked mine up at Lowe's a couple of years ago (the home improvement warehouse, for those unfamiliar; they also carry SOG's Flash folders and PowerLock multi-tools). The Twitch II is a great all-purpose everyday-carry blade, so you might want to give it a good look before you try to find another Gerber with similar features.
JLR

Postby swordfight » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 am

sorry for this, does Gerber a maker of food for baby? does they also make knives?
swordfight

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Yes, Gerber maker food for baby, but boobies maker better food for baby.

bamf - how big a blade do you want/need? I have a little Kershaw that's really handy, and it's blade is small enough that nobody cares.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby swordfight » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:31 am

lol....but anyways thanks for your reply...thanks for the info..
swordfight

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:48 am

Hands down the best knife I have ever owned is the CRKT M60 SOTFB

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/01/3 ... m60-sotfb/

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby BrandonK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm

The-Dude wrote:I just got a spyderco tenacious and love it. G10 scales, good steel, ambi clip, lanyard hole, and best of all reasonable price. seems like a $60+ knife, i got mine new for 30$. if that seems a bit big for you they have an identical scaled down version called the persistence. damn, im starting to sound like a rep.

See this one it is optional it's really nice one.
"Whether the throwing knives falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers”
BrandonK

Postby RYP » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:06 am

DPx Gear is doing much more. Hard goods, soft goods, tools and also Blackwater Gear. Other brands too when we get up to speed. Right now we are doing the long term machined goods that require long lead hand assembly time. Soft goods have a shorter turnaround time.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Simian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 pm

For the money my Spyderco Delica is the best knife I have ever owned. I bought it 16 years ago and have carried it ever since. I recently bought my wife the new Delica 4 and she loves it. The make a great product but they are not heavy duty workers.
Simian

Postby Woodsman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:27 pm

RYP wrote:DPx Gear is doing much more. Hard goods, soft goods, tools and also Blackwater Gear. Other brands too when we get up to speed. Right now we are doing the long term machined goods that require long lead hand assembly time. Soft goods have a shorter turnaround time.

RYP - if you wind up doing pants, I would have a ton of recommendations if you want some ideas.

I would love to come out with something myself but am in no position to do it.

Nobody - and I mean nobody - is making pants right today.

It's crazy - you can put 5 pairs of pants out there and use an idea from all of them and create the ultimate trouser for no more than you would spend on the typical one and it's like it's lost on these mfgrs.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:49 pm

bamf wrote:Maybe someone in here will know - I used to have a Gerber, bought the damn thing at Wal Mart for ~30 bucks, it was a great little knife. Black with a black blade, half serrated, had a little safety switch on it.

I just bought a Gerber assisted opener for $31 at walmart a couple weeks ago. It is not in any way a hard use knife like the H.E.S.T./F is, but it is black, it does have a safety switch on it and is very easy to open with one hand. The clip is angled to draw the knife right too (most aren't).

I expect this is the blade you are talking about.

This is the knife:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Fast-Draw-Serrated-Knife/11071304

The only reason I bought it is that my old S&W assisted knife lost a ball bearing. The ball bearing effectively makes the S&W knife a switchblade (via the federal definition of flip switch and blade opens). I really liked the S&W - it has a much sturdier blade than this new Gerber - and it's a better design overall - double locking front and aft and solid lashing points (it's almost as sturdy as a non-folder) - but it's a misdemeanor here to possess a switchblade (stupid rule, but it is what it is).

Edited to say I just noticed that BAMF's post was over a year ago. I would guess he probably has picked up another knife by now...oh well.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby swordpoint9 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:24 am

I look forward to my HEST /F , but have carried a Cold Steel Folder Recon Tanto since 2003! Very fine Knife but look forward to my new HEST !
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!