I need a Backpack and Sleeping Bag

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

I need a Backpack and Sleeping Bag

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Backpack and Sleeping Bag

I was just told that I need to buy a backpack and sleeping bag for work – something that will hold 4 to 7 days of clothing, a few packs of CD’s, a few portable hard drives, a sleeping bag and some other junk.

Also:

Waterproof
Easily adjustable straps so I can tighten or loosen it one handed
Available in non-bright or non-flashy colors (like brown, green)

It also needs to be extremely tough – it will be stacked on wooden pallets and tossed on cargo airplanes, thrown off of helicopters, exposed to harsh environments (heat, rain, and sand) and generally abused.

Money is not a consideration

Thanks

~JAMES
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby loki547 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:11 pm

answer your emails
loki547

Postby soulohio » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:23 am

pleeese answer on the forum please....i would like to see what is recommended...i have a Ferrino backpack, but it is not up to par. It is very stylish but not big enough and it is uncomfortable when I get alot of stuff packed. It did take me thru 2 months of Brasilia and Thailand.
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:17 am

James wrote

Really?
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby shivers » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:43 am

Purple. Just make sure it's purple.
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:15 am

Portable harddrives?

Being a nerd I always assume that data is more important than other stuff.

So whatever pack and bag others more knowlegeable than me recommend be sure to keep them cushioned for transit. Foam or anti-static "peanuts" kept waterproof by mylar and double boxed (double boxed is one small box containing the drive and cushioning within another box..it works for porceline and glass and it works for drives.)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:38 am

loki547 wrote:answer your emails

Sorry dude, I have been traveling a lot lately and I haven’t had a chance to stop by and see that guy

rickshaw92 wrote:James wrote

Really?

Yep, I have to buy one for work so I will expense it out

shivers wrote:Purple. Just make sure it's purple.

That’s the problem, most “backpacker” style backpacks come in bright colors AKA: “shoot me” I am different than everyone else.

Kurt wrote:Portable harddrives?

Being a nerd I always assume that data is more important than other stuff.

So whatever pack and bag others more knowlegeable than me recommend be sure to keep them cushioned for transit. Foam or anti-static "peanuts" kept waterproof by mylar and double boxed (double boxed is one small box containing the drive and cushioning within another box..it works for porceline and glass and it works for drives.)

That is great if you are transporting drives from NY to London – good luck finding half that shit in a 3rd world country or war zone, plus all of those layers add weight and bulk – fuck that when you have to carry everything (one bag – maximum) or fly with your pack on your lap for 4 hours cutting off your circulation.

Lacie drives are the shit, steel case, big and heavy – I dropped one yesterday onto a marble floor – busted the face off but it still works fine.

I just rap them in a towel and pack them between my clothing or just shove them in a courier bag and jump on a bird – hell I have tied ropes around a Dell server so I could carry it on a chopper

~JAMES
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Re: I need a Backpack and Sleeping Bag

Postby Trajan_Aurelius » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:39 pm

MILSPEC packs work fine.

The large ALICE pack is adequate. If you use a MRE box, which just fits inside a large ALICE, anything inside is well padded. I mention it because the boxes are readily available in the field. Just ask. You can carry bulky load because of the external frame. Get the cargo shelf to go with it and wire tie it to the frame.

The CFP-90 is an internal frame pack that I use because of nagging injuries. Lotsa room. I replaced the quick release tabs with parachute quick releases because they broke.

Both are available from numerous sources. Stencil your name or laundry mark on it. Be ready to modify it.

Go to a surplus store and camping stores. Try them on with a load.

Blackhawk Industries is a leader in tactical gear. There are a lot of other places. REI sells some good stuff.

If you don't like the color, spray paint works. Primer gray and desert tan will really break up the outline, almost as good as ACU pattern.

Wiggy's makes the BEST sleeping bag on the market. Take a woolen blanket with you, as well. Some times sleeping bags become body bags. It's hard to get out of a bag in a hurry. A blanket can also be used as padding under the sleeping bag. If its really cold, this can make a difference between a good sleep and torture.
Trajan Aurelius

1 Maccabees 3:58
Trajan_Aurelius

Postby cashonlycow » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:26 pm

check out Kifaru.

Spendy, relatively speaking, but highly recommended.

http://www.kifaru.net/MGhome.htm
cashonlycow
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:37 pm

ROB posted on the Bastards forums about his new Karrimor SF Sabre pack. They're a British company and their packs are tough, no-nonsense, and pretty low-profile. Rob's looked pretty good, but it was small, remember? But Karrimor makes them in all kinds of sizes, and you can get them in solid black. I'm thinking about getting one myself.
redharen
small ax

Postby Bouncer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:00 am

http://mercuryluggage.com/Web%20Site/Lu ... _alpha.htm

The advantage here is they are designed to be out in the weather, plus, being designed by military folks, they have an idea of what is useful, and what is not.

You probably want either the Mark I or Mark V rolling duffles. Yes yes I know the terrain, but there are times you're on concrete or where the wheels come in handy.

Also consider a good dive bag/backpack. Tough, weatherproof..
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.a ... _ID=AKB144

Oh and no joke, get some compression bags. Useful in multiple ways. Really do reduce packing size of clothing, and provides additional waterproof protection. clear see through means security screeners can move them to search baggage without pawing through your undies. Finally, they are reusable plastic bags which can be handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Embark-Compressio ... B0009IB6B0

They work way better than I expected.

My buddy over there recommends the blackhawk extended divers bag. I've seen it, and it's pretty freaking huge, but still airline legal. He's used it all over the country on milair and BW flights.

http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/script ... uctid=5504

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:59 am

If money were no object I would buy a sleeping bag made by Feathered Friends. I am pretty sure they make everything custom.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

backpack

Postby vb6041 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:41 pm

Contact ragged mountain in north conway NH. They make packs specifically for special forces guys. They're made of kevlar and somewhat bulletproof and they're the greatest packs I've ever seen. The owner of the store is a lady named Titoune from France. I've had the pleasure of testing a couple of their new products and you won't be sorry.
They're also making bivy sacks that are camo and treated so that you don't show up on night vision equipment. Cool stuff.
vb6041

Postby armsdealer » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:43 pm

+1 to cashonly's recommendation of Kifaru. With price not a consideration, you can't go wrong.

Also check http://www.maxpedition.com/Default.asp? - they make great MIL/civilian hybrid lines of packs, pouches, etc.
armsdealer
BFCus Regularus

Re: I need a Backpack and Sleeping Bag

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Get yourself a Becker Patrol Pack (large Ranger) from Eagle Industries. You can probably get OD, might find Coyote, but Black is hard to find. I purchased mine from a member of this forum, after years of trying to decide if I really needed another pack. Well this hands down, replaced my other 6 rucks. For me I like this pack a lot better then the Alice, which I have used a great deal. There is a much comfort and security to the packs design. With the inside stabilizing pad one can carry a load very comfortably. It is rated for a 50lb. load, which is very decent for a pack. When one packs up to 60-65lbs, packs of this nature can still handle it load, but up in the 70-75 lb. range most packs will start to malfuction (rips and rubs at stress points).Ive got no idea of what the max load would be for this pack, as Ive no need to go over limit, but this is one very good pack. BlackHawk make good stuff too, and Ive heard many good things about Maxpedition, though Ive not yet purchased any of their goods. The rolly polli dump bags look great for gas mask, well anything one has a use for.
Ive not seen many packs that will carry 7 days worth of clothing, if you change and stay fresh often. It would depend on what you wear. If it was 7 sets BDU's I don't think it will happen. One could purchase duffles that were exactly like GI contract only 5-6 foot in length, that we could store 3 alice packs within. The length made them hard to manage or carry, but they did take a hell of a load for transport.
Get you a Wiggy's bag. They have a multi layer system thats fantastic. If price does not matter, get the best model they sell, and you will always have something made for any adventure or place you go. They are worth having. If you get into mountain hiking/camping,there are companies that make bags that cost 3-5 times the price of a Wiggy's that do not compare. Just my opinion, Im not an expert on anything.
CONCHOKID

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!