camera - computer + recommends

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

camera - computer + recommends

Postby seeker » Wed May 14, 2008 6:50 am

needing a serious digital SLR and laptop upgrade, starting from scratch with the mindset of a newbie. also need to the laptop to be capable for uploading and editing audio (and hopefully video) from the field.

(re: video - this is where i would have least fexibility in obtaining hardware/software - so if anyone has any experience with workhorse pieces that a dolt with a few weeks to practice learning the variations will have - I will try to find a way to reward assistance in some gesture of appreciation)

would love to hear anyone's recommendations on ANY angle.

ALL help would be much appreciated. finally have a little leeway on the 'possibilities' front - and while I bear in mind the necessities, my brain freezes in exploring the various configurations.

there are some awesome experts here and your guidance is most humbly asked for.

even ancillary gear, software, etc. would be heeded.

thank you so very very much in advance.
Maybe some clever line selected from the 'This Will Destroy That' chapter from Victor Hugo's 'Notre Dame de Paris' perhaps? (Ch II). Or maybe something from The Mighty Boosh.
seeker
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 am

How much is your budget?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby seeker » Wed May 14, 2008 5:26 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:How much is your budget?

~JITW

probably approaching the 5 G mark. i realize that's not *really* much, but where I am at now, that's a lot for me.

it's an investment in some gear to do some jobs I have coming up properly, and hopefully to be used as I continue to propel myself into more related work. that's the mindset, anyway.

love yr avatar btw.
Maybe some clever line selected from the 'This Will Destroy That' chapter from Victor Hugo's 'Notre Dame de Paris' perhaps? (Ch II). Or maybe something from The Mighty Boosh.
seeker
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed May 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Acer makes great and durable laptops in the 1000 to 1500 range – I had one that I carried in a backpack all around the world for years without any problems, unlike the 2000 dollar Toshiba I bought 5 months ago that is already falling apart.

For software it will depend on what you will be doing

I am not a camera expert so someone else will have to help you out with that one

And thanks…

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby svizzerams » Thu May 15, 2008 12:50 am

For audio and video I'd go with a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

I'm partial to Canon cameras - but if your budget is 5 grandish - (or a little more) you could spring for the Canon EOS 5D - full frame digital semi pro model or the Canon EOS 40D. If you are going to be in really dusty/grimy conditions they might not hold up as well as a full on pro model digital SLR with all the nicely sealed bodies.

What type of photography would you be doing? Khalampre has done some nice work with a Panasonic Lumix model camera (DMC-FZ series I think).

For good camera reveiws go to: www.dpreviews.com
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby seeker » Thu May 15, 2008 7:02 am

wow - thanks so much for your quick and helpful replies!

i agree that an acer or similar PC platform LT might be the way to go for more rugged travel areas - and as far as the camera is concerned, we're talking 'convention' style locales and nothing approaching said 'rugged locales - (which is my ideal goal anyway)

I do understand that most laptops etc. come with good soundcards, basic photo d/l software, etc. - but I will also need a good range of inputs - or inputs that can deal with converters - ie: from RCA to XLR and so on...

AS well as software that can easily convert things like cell phone vid (ie 3GP to the more flexible and editable formats)

JamesITW - i loved your sites recommendation for the WiFi finder too - that looks a mighty helpful gadget...

swizzerams - the initial camera work will be essentially in places not too strssful to the camera
(at worst a protest situation, etc., though I hope my endeavours do take me further afield) - political and conventional environs etc.

- and as far as software, my photo purposes will be journalistic (as most here I imagine) so I will not be doing any altering to images short of cropping and maybe removing redeye...pretty much following AP-style ethics and rules.

one other component: i have resigned myself to buying new - but I HATE to buy new knowing that it's the same kind of economics as driving a new car off of a lot.

THAT in mind, I know something like a camera will have to be something that I will require lots of mileage from so I do understand I will likely be it's only owner...

of course there are other variables to consider, and I do like JITW's idea of eventually getting something that can take a hit or 2, but not also having me cringe all the time b/c i'd be worried about the cost of replacing it.

so bearing that i'm still looking to expand my original questions (and I know I have asked a LOT of you all - but I am, as I indicated, trying to approach this w/out the half assed knowledged I do possess from getting in the way) - does anyone have 'preferred' outlets for used or previously loved gear?

and of course, any experts on the audio side of things, still love to hear some ideas.

THANKS SO MUCH again for your starting points. IF anyone feels inclined to play mentor drop me a PM and perhaps we can go email route for further discussion. it will be about 2nd week of June that I make my purchases.

again - a million thanks - I take no one's expertise for granted and if it seems like I'm asking too much, my apologies.

it's just that if there was a group of folks who know their stuff and have done more than the half assed domestic journalism and travel I have been stuck with, this is the place doubtless!

nose is now brown i think. sawry.
seeker
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu May 15, 2008 11:18 am

svizzerams wrote:For audio and video I'd go with a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

I have to respectably disagree with swiz on the MacBook recommendation, you can do exactly the same things on a PC that you can with a Mac and its 1/4 the price (it even has the same guts). I know guys that have used MacBooks in harsh environments, they didn’t always stan up to the abuse – MacBooks can’t take constant hard vibrations for months straight at a time, it has something to do with the way MacBooks mount their hard drives (I guess). I actually just spoke to a guy last week who’s MacBook just died on him in Iraq (the hard drive pooped out). The US Military does use allot of Mac products (oddly, Mac is a huge military industrial complex contractor) – but they rarely use them in hard use environments.

And if you are planning to do any international travel in 3rd world or developing countries then you should not use a MacBook because finding an IT shop that can repair it, actually has spare parts and won’t charge you a fortune will be difficult if not impossible. Every IT shop in the world can work on PC’s, Mac’s are a specialty.

Also if you put a big ass gash down the side of your 1K Acer laptop you won’t be that upset – if you put a big ass gash down the side of your 3K MacBook Pro you will probably cry.

For software I would suggest that you use Adobe products because they all work/operate somewhat similar to each other – that will cut down on your learning curve. So if you already know how to use Photoshop then transitioning over to Audition for audio editing won’t be a monumental task because they both have the same look and feel.

Don’t forget to buy an external hard drive for backups

Working with technology in harsh international environments and technology/IT itself is actually one of my professional specialties so I am a bit of an expert on this stuff.

seeker wrote:JamesITW - i loved your sites recommendation for the WiFi finder too - that looks a mighty helpful gadget...

Glad you liked it, more technology articles coming soon…

seeker wrote: I do understand that most laptops etc. come with good soundcards, basic photo d/l software, etc. - but I will also need a good range of inputs - or inputs that can deal with converters - ie: from RCA to XLR and so on...

AS well as software that can easily convert things like cell phone vid (ie 3GP to the more flexible and editable formats)

Take a look at this site for recommendations: http://www.dv.com/

DV is my favorite tech mag and website for everything video and audio related. They have reviews, advice and great articles for professionals DP’s to Independent filmmakers.

For a Camera…

I asked a friend of mine that is a pro photographer and he said to “buy the best and finance it – skimp on everything but your camera”

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby khalampre » Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 pm

I asked a friend of mine that is a pro photographer and he said to “buy the best and finance it – skimp on everything but your camera”

There are many here that know much more than I, but I would say pick a brand, buy their low or mid range body and spend the rest on glass. I started with a canon XT that I found a deal on. I have picked up a lens here and there as I could afford them. Now I have sold the XT (for more than I paid for it), purchased an XTI, and have a fair selection of glass for it. If I make an upgrade on the body I will have the glass that goes with it so long as I do not go full frame (I won't because that is $$$$$$$$$$).
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby seeker » Fri May 16, 2008 7:18 am

solid advice Khale and James -

this is an investment I am taking very seriously. it's the foundation i essentially have to build a new work direction on. and because of this your frank advice is invaluable.

both w/ the camera (start w/ a brand and build on the lenses) etc.
- for the cam i need lotsa memory (cards essentially replace rolls of film), love the fact that i can take tons of shots indescrimintely, and the cam-window is also a big help to me too...

the tech quality leaps of the digital SLR's over even the last year have blown my mind!

and w/ re to the comp - exactly - pc won't we a specialty in off-path places. and i'm not worried about my comp looking pretty - just versatile and reliable.

Adobe software use is a good call...i used audition endlessly at work so i'll peruse their online catalogue and see what i can build on.

so my starting conclusion is this: by a pc lapper and then kit it out w/ the extras/ancillaries I am seeking.

sound logical?

so i guess the next step would be to search the range of ancillary extras that will allow me to make that laptop do as much as I can possibly get it to do!.

id anyone has any expertise in this field, fire away!

if anyone has any anecdotes on usage, I take them into account and would love to hear about 'em!

James - if u don't mind - i would LOVE to know what extras you rely on - whether it be input/output converters to wifi cards to anything else that helps you make the comp a good friend in getting the work you need done.

wow - i am asking a lot here but i am learning from you folks.

almost all of the info and advice has been from pretty boys who, although they work in media, always have an office and a prod studio to rely on (ie: news/talk radio and print media offices) and in the end it seems they buy their gadgets as consumers.

I need long term and versatility so if I'm asked "can you do this job?", I can say, w/out hesitation, "yes I can." especially if certain details and deadlines are a component.

I am still curious what people use for cheap video capturing sources (both hardware and software).
it's an area I am a stark virgin in - excepting my cell phone (and of course I have no idea how to convert the format it captures vid in to something editable and useable). we're talking someone who has never even posted anything on youtube.
seeker
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri May 16, 2008 8:08 am

Very much agree with James on everything here.

To throw my own 2c in, I have been giving my Sony Vaio a hammering for the last 12 months and it is standing up nicely. Starting to get a very slight wobble on the screen hinges, but I am quite hard on laptops. I bought it cos I heard they had stood up well in Iraq to tough condition (ToughBooks were the other ones I heard did pretty well). I have dropped it more times than I can remember. I use it probably 12-16 hours a day 7 days a week.

For camera, I stick to my trusty Nikon D70. No complaints and its been given a hammering and still looks new. Spend money on glass if you have any left over.

As for software, there are plenty of open source video (VirtualDub) and photo editing (The Gimp) software available if price is an issue, but I would probably stick with Jame's advice and go with one publisher like Adobe. Propiety software in those fields just seems a little more polished. Download the trial versions and do online tutorials to come up to speed. Buy the vaio with the fastest processor you can afford cos this type of software is pretty heavy on systems.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 am

seeker wrote:it's an area I am a stark virgin in - excepting my cell phone (and of course I have no idea how to convert the format it captures vid in to something editable and useable). we're talking someone who has never even posted anything on youtube.

Try ZamZar.Com - its a web-based file conversion tool that can convert your video, audio, images, and documents from nearly any format to nearly any format you like online

~James
JamesInTheWorld

Postby seeker » Fri May 16, 2008 6:08 pm

wow, you guys are awesome - thanks again fer yer patience in answering my rudimentary questions...
seeker
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri May 16, 2008 7:01 pm

seeker wrote:wow, you guys are awesome - thanks again fer yer patience in answering my rudimentary questions...

We know

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Chimborazo » Fri May 16, 2008 8:14 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
seeker wrote:wow, you guys are awesome - thanks again fer yer patience in answering my rudimentary questions...

We know

~JITW

We're also very humble and modest.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat May 17, 2008 10:30 am

Yeah, but I am more awesome than James.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!