survival knife

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: survival knife

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 pm

I haven't owned one of the swords they produce. Welded a bolt on ? Thats damn disappointing !!! Ive gotten one of the tantos that is a recon, but it was like the first years when they made it with distressed brass, and not the later blackened model.It looks just like the reglaur line of tantos, just distressed instead of polished. My Trailmaster has been a horse, but its really too big to be of use as a skinning and all around camp knife. Its great for chopping and the fire prep work.
Im glad we agree on the RAT knives, they are highly endorsed by me, I really like them. The TAK and RTAK I have are great knives by the former manufacturer (they still make their models I believe), but the SERE Ive gotten, seems just a little bit better in many ways. The powdercoat on the blade even has a better finish and looks that it will with stand harder use. Im not a big fan of powdercoated blades for food prep.The blades a bit thicker to withstand chopping as well as cutting duties. I really like it !!! Secret is Ive got too many knives and gear. When something does not make the cut, its out.
When I first started in survival, Gerbers could be found in almost every hunting or sporting goods store, along with K-bar and Bucks. The Gerbers did not have a full tang and mostly alumium handles, I snapped a couple different knives on simple task, before giving up the brand. Bought a Gerber multi-tool snapped the screw driver. Very disappointing !!! It was the 1980's whereby the RAMBO movies influenced the knife market and a great deal of crap was offered. Anyway I feel of Gerber as you do of Cold Steel. Ofcourse with any good knife you can return it for another, but its like my friend that got food poisoning at a restaurant. When they offered him a free meal to make up for it, he had to refuse trying the product again.
CONCHOKID

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Gerber should stick to baby-food.
I haven't tried a regular knife from Cold Steel so perhaps I'm being harsh but then again I'm like that.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 pm

You are right, Gerber should stick with the baby food, I won't purchase anything with a blade from them again.
No, Ive read the post for a long time,I like your style and agree with you on most of the topics you write about. You say what you mean.Today is the first day Ive posted. I like to stay in the back ground, and go unseen or heard, but today, guess Ive got too much to say. On the forums I belong to, or look at I just do not post.
I was just reading your post on there is no rules in a fight, I whole heartedly agree. 20 years ago, I believed that in war one must do whatever it takes to win for the greatest good. Hope you understand what I mean. Unconventional warfare, Black Ops, etc... but I tried to be a gentleman in person conflicts. Well it don't work, cause the you will find yourself out gunned, thugged (multiple persons against one), and the person acting like a friendly will stab you in the back. One must do whatever it takes to win, or should I say live (come out of the conflict in the best order). Ofcourse the women in my life that were suppose to love me hurt me worse than my enemies, but that another story.
CONCHOKID

Postby panxzz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:42 pm

panxzz

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:58 pm

You should probably know that yourself since you host that website and are a Bear Gryllis fan.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Actually Bear Gryllis is better than Bear Grylls. Grylls = Grilse which leads my mind to milt which as everyone knows is salmon bukkake. It took me a while to work out why I didn't like him but that's it.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby z911hyper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Mikethehack wrote:babe

it was needed
She speaks Italian, She speaks French, and I can't even speak good English
z911hyper
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:57 am

dirkcutler wrote:Does anyone knows what type of knife does hannibal lecter used in the movie "Hannibal"?

No, but $100 says it's sold to idiots by fags.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Spyderco.

Fairly well known knife maker, known more for the hole in the blade that being owned by an a-hole
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby thewalrus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Knives?

I'm buying a laser:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13512

That's about 100 times more powerful than a typical rifle laser...
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby DBR » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm

dirkcutler wrote:Does anyone knows what type of knife does hannibal lecter used in the movie "Hannibal"?

He used a Spyderco Harpy in an old Japanese Tantojutsu thrusting grip between the fingers. In the book he also had a Spyderco Civilian, IIRC.
I was on my way back from the P.O., not the Parole Officer, but the Post Office, and I was being followed by Yuri and Sergei Cutchikokoff. Normally these guys were my Ketel One dealers, but today was much, much different...

Survival Lab Blog
DBR

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 am

You can get a Chinese knock-off of this for 40 bucks - it is just as good, they are on Amazon

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby AztecDave » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 am

Years ago I passed on buying (regretably now) an old US Army issue Bolo knife used in the Phillipines in early 1900s. Had a ghurka kukri knife shape to it. Had a good quarter inch thick spine & sturdy as hell. Wood handle in almost pristine condition. Blade was about 12-14 inches long. Could tell it had been used plenty. But still very rugged. Would like a do-over to buy it.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:55 pm

AztecDave wrote:Years ago I passed on buying (regretably now) an old US Army issue Bolo knife used in the Phillipines in early 1900s. Had a ghurka kukri knife shape to it. Had a good quarter inch thick spine & sturdy as hell. Wood handle in almost pristine condition. Blade was about 12-14 inches long. Could tell it had been used plenty. But still very rugged. Would like a do-over to buy it.

They are still quite available. Wood handle and leather sheath. Made from old Landcruiser leaf springs. I have an old one with a carved wooden sheath that I just display. The new ones go for about 8 bucks on market day in PI. I paid 30 bucks for the 100 year old one.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby SUM » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Dark11Crusader wrote:There she is. I don't carry the webbing cutter around though, I keep it stashed in my car.

I was thinking of getting the LMF, just find that it's a little big for practicality? There is that story about the soldier and the wire, which did make it look that much better. How do you find the case?

Is it too much bulk?
SUM

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!