survival knife

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: survival knife

Postby Dark11Crusader » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Mine was $60 US from a tactical store. Have NO idea why it was that low, I think they just got overstocked. The other cool thing (which is cool, but i'll never use haha) Is that it comes with straps to strap it to your calf, MALICE clips, the whole ball of yarn so you can basically put it anywhere. I actually looked at that CRKT, supposedly the handle is majorly comfortable.
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Dark11Crusader wrote: I actually looked at that CRKT, supposedly the handle is majorly comfortable.

The handle is very good, overall the handle gives the knife quite a good amount of weight to it.
Happy to pay good money for a good tool.
TJS
Happiness is only a reality when shared
The goal is to Survive or die for a cause - I'll let Jah choose which one
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:05 pm

As per Swagnit above. Surely a survival knife is something you have in a sudden unexpected survival situation, whatever comes to hand. It would be nice and sensible, to have something like a Gerber LMF II when you go out in the Bundu ( I have an early C.Reeve knife and one of his recent Neil Roberts knives that would be my choices,if given the time, and the necessity) However, every single day on my keyring in my pocket, I have a "Gerber artifact" which would have to do in those unexpected moments. Excuse the shaky picture, I just took it on my mobile phone in a "survival situation" !-))

Most important, it has a bottle opener !
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Dark11Crusader » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:04 am

True, survival situations are unexpected, so that does bear wisdom. I was thinking more along the lines of planning ahead, etc.

But lets be honest, we all know that the bottle opener is the most important feature
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby Caliban » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Dark11Crusader wrote:True, survival situations are unexpected, so that does bear wisdom. I was thinking more along the lines of planning ahead, etc.

But lets be honest, we all know that the bottle opener is the most important feature

Oh undoubtedly. I take your point about palnning ahead. Thats why the bottle opener !
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Abuster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:34 am

Dark11Crusader wrote:Mine was $60 US from a tactical store. Have NO idea why it was that low, I think they just got overstocked. The other cool thing (which is cool, but i'll never use haha) Is that it comes with straps to strap it to your calf, MALICE clips, the whole ball of yarn so you can basically put it anywhere. I actually looked at that CRKT, supposedly the handle is majorly comfortable.

You would be shocked to see the mark up on knives. It is truly unbelievable. I was a knife dealer for a while. I'm thinking about starting it up again.
Abuster

Postby Abuster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:39 am

RYP wrote: but will be designing a knife that will be released at the Janaury shot show.

Any chance we can get a first look at this knife you are designing?
Abuster

Postby Dark11Crusader » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Of course I'd prefer a smaller knife and a hatchet, but thats just me
"
Dark11Crusader

Postby dolphincry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 am

Hi experts!

I'm looking for my first survival knife. Actually I'm staying in Malaysia and there's limited choice here...I just found out one store selling Gerber and aiming to have Gerber LMF II. Other than that...maybe SOG Seal Pup Elite or Gerber Gator Serrater but I have to order online.

What do you guys suggest...for first timer like me?

cheers!
dolphincry

Postby RYP » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Ginzu...pick one to stab somebody with and give the rest of set to yer mom. You will still have plenty of money left over.

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby ElPeregrino » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 pm

coldharvest wrote:Image
My Randall is my favorite right now

Can't beat it. Jeff sent me a prototype to test out back when the RAT-7 first came out, and I bought my own (it was slightly modified from the prototype, including harder steel) almost as soon as they were released. Toughest knives I've ever handled.

Also, if you're buying a survival knife, avoid (a) sawback blades and (b) serrations. Sawbacks get in the way if you're trying to split or shave wood, and really aren't all that valuable in the woods anyway. Also, the same goes for serrations. They really get in the way more than they help. Best thing you can do is just keep your knife sharp enough to shave with, and also pack a heavy-duty folder or multitool for detail work. Leave the chopping and digging and other rough stuff for your big blade.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby Mikethehack » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby swordpoint9 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:16 pm

Surprised no one mentioned the Buckmaster! I used one in my army then my Marine Corps days still got it ,handy as a pocket on your shirt!

Hit it with your purse!!!!
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Ive had many of these type of knives, many good such as my Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie, and Bushman (a great value). Everything Ive got from Cold Steel has been worth owning. Some of the Scandinavian knives such as Mora make excellent inexpensive hard use survival tools. Survival knives are tools, with two different camps of followers. Those whom purchase very expensive knives they will probably never use, saying that if your life depends on these items you need to get the best, or whats cool. the second camp using what works, or mostly fit their budget. My thoughts are get what works for you and makes the most sense. Avoid anything thats too big and fancy. I will pay large amounts of money for a knife if it works and is worth owning. IT IS A TOOL, USE IT!!!That said, currently I use the Rat Knives, and like them alot. Ive got the TAK, RTAK, and folder from the former manufacturer, and the SERE-5 from RAT respectively. The TAK and RTAK are excellent knives, the folder very disappointing. The folder I purchased has a very cheap look to it, its better to purchase a M-16 CARSON from CRTK, as its four times the knife. The SERE number 5 is a better made knife then the contractor made knives, the TAK and RTAK. To be fair the TAK and RTAK are excellent, but the SERE is better in every way (fit,finish,blade strength). All are hard working knives you can depend your lives on, meaning they can take the bush and not let one down. The SERE 5 is a work horse, Im impressed !
As a note:
Ive purchased the DPx HEST and cannot wait to get it and put it to use. Anyone not ordering one of these is probably missing out on a really good thing.
For myself Ive done primitive survival since 1984, which started off as an Anthropology class at University. Ive hunted,trapped since mid-1970's. Military schools in the Army, etc..and am the grandson of LT. Col. Lucien Conein where I got my interest in primitive and military survival. Conein-WW2 Jedburgh, 45-46 Indochina OSS,Korea, VietNam 1954-1973, Lansdales teams, Commander 7th Special Forces, MACV-SOG,Iran 1957, CIA, Bay of Pigs, Diem Coup, Director Special Operations DEA,etc....
Im not an expert in anything, but I know a good product and I give the Randall Adventure Training/RAT knives (made by them) a high recomendation. Cold Steel is an excellent source too.Knives of Alaska, and CRTK make wonderful knives.
CONCHOKID

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Everything Ive got from Cold Steel has been worth owning.

Not me, their Hand and a half sword broke at the guard, instead of continuing the blade through the grip to the pommel
they welded a bolt on.....poor quality and bad craftsmanship.
The Tanto I bought had similar problems, the grip was cheap rubber and the point snapped putting it in the sheath due to it's poor quality.
If Cold Steel ever makes a knife as good as it's marketing hype then they'd be on to a winner.
As it is I can't trust them to deliver the goods, so they fail.

My Randall has never let me down and I trust it.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!