Bicycles: road versus mountain.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Bicycles: road versus mountain.

Postby Wayne » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 pm

http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/images/prod_1912.jpg

Negotiations concluded to my satisfaction. I rode this one 3x and sealed the deal today.
I pick it up this weekend.

Nice ride, stiffer suspension, handles well and I got it for a nice price after the MTB debacle.
The gear shifting is wonderfully smooth.

Thanks for all your input.

: )

Odd thing: the bike shop is located next to a FEMA station. (Uh oh) I didn't even know we had one in the area. The parking lot is huge so the shop sends people there (right next door)
to try bikes out. The shop owner said "You should see when the helicopters land there."

Bad omen?
Anyone but BO!
Wayne
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:13 am

I want a bike that looks like a mountain bike but has a huge front sprocket on it so I can actually get some speed out of the fucking thing. Now I understand if you actually use the damned things off road and up slope you need a "lower" gear ratio allowing for maximum rear wheel torque by gearing the speed down, There is too much sand around here to ride a bike off-road. I have a big paved (between the potholes) hill nearby and I wanna reach at least 70 on my bike. I've got the leg power, but my current gearing sucks. Any ideas?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby cochiseintheeast » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Dude

you could spend that much on a road bike. and much more. My buddies time trial wheels cost more than 4K. So welcome to the sport. But that a little bit high end for a newbie. I am assuming your a newbie since you had sticker shock.

I spent $1700 on my first love. And it paid me back ten fold. I spent another $800 on shoes computer clothes and helmet. Well worth it.

so do it.
cochiseintheeast
BFCus Regularus

Postby Wayne » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:18 am

I am eschewing the bike odometer/computer, it was too much of a distraction...gotta focus on the road and traffic and TECHNIQUE (thank you Marie-Angelique).

Got the helmet, the pants are next...maybe some gloves...don't know yet about those.
If I can find a shirt with pockets that's not too garish or attention-grabbing then I'll consider
one, some of those shirts are too much. I have a couple of plain running shirts that'll do OK for now.

$800 seems like overkill, but then again, I wasn't preparing to spend $600 on a bike to begin with.
Anyone but BO!
Wayne
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:46 am

Riding pants/shorts & gloves are a necessity, if you're going on long rides. You'll definitely ride better with bicycle shoes, but regular sneakers are ok. I never bothered to buy special shirts to ride. If you don't set some limits, collecting gear is a never-ending upward spiral.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Wayne » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:52 am

What precisely constitutes a LONG ride? I know the Tour chaps roll off in excess of 200km in a day routinely, but I refer to mortals who don't have the resources to train over 400 miles per week in their base building phase.

My longest on the MTB was ten-fifteen miles or so. I'm itching to get the GIANT out there to see what it can do. This feels like Christmas Eve.
Anyone but BO!
Wayne
BFCus Regularus

Postby cochiseintheeast » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:54 am

Dont listen to MA. Her technique only applies if you are riding a BMW. Get the computer.

By the way MA, if you are listening- any plans of climbing Mt Kenya?
cochiseintheeast
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:58 am

i like using a bicycle computer. it turned out to be crucial gear on my last trip.

i found myself envying a pair of fellow cyclists who has a computer that measured net altitude gain and temperature and stuff.

mt kenya looks very interesting indeed. i would like to do it one of these days. are you planning to do it soon?

are you on summitpost.org?
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150259/mount-kenya.html
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby svizzerams » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:07 am

shivers wrote:Riding pants/shorts & gloves are a necessity, if you're going on long rides. You'll definitely ride better with bicycle shoes, but regular sneakers are ok. I never bothered to buy special shirts to ride. If you don't set some limits, collecting gear is a never-ending upward spiral.

Truer words were never spoken...!
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby redharen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:33 pm

I just picked up a mid-1990s vintage Cannondale R400. Buddy of mine at work hooked me up with it for free, along with a kayak, as a good-bye present for my upcoming move to Boston. The R400 is a racing bike, but I've already started using it to commute to the office and I love it. Got here in four minutes today -- faster than I make it in my car.

Historically, I've ridden mountain bikes in town because my riding style is really brutal -- I tend to ride straight across and through everything, and I bend up anything that doesn't have fat tires and rims. But with this bike I'm learning to enjoy sticking to the smooth pavement and getting up a lot of speed. Seems to me that there are virtues in whatever bike you choose, and by tailoring your riding style to fit said bike, you can make the whole pursuit seem new again.
redharen
small ax

Postby swagnit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:44 am

Wandering around, and quite by accident, I bumped into this fella two weeks ago.

http://www.bikechina.com/heinzstucke1z.html

He's riding a bike Friday nowadays.
http://www.bikefriday.com/node/57

We spent a couple of days riding around town, drinking beers and having a yak.

Very interesting man, with plenty of stories and info to share, and an inspiring attitude.
To say he keeps it simple/low tech would be an understatement. ;)
And he's gotta be tough as old boots.

Chers
Swagnit.
swagnit
BFCus Regularus

Postby Wayne » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Should hook him up with M-A. That would be quite a night of conversation on epic bike tours.
Anyone but BO!
Wayne
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:17 am

very cool, re: heinz. that must have been fun :)

i have seen that site before, a very impressive ride indeed.

i used to own a bike friday. i bought it because you are only allowed to take folding bikes on the commuter train during peak hours. i sold it when i moved closer to work but now i wish i still had it. it rode really nice, and was a real crowd pleaser.

yesterday i was the cheerleading section for a friend as she bought her first bicycle:
http://www.dahon.com/us/glidep8.htm
it's pretty pimp-matic with a generator light, center stand, etc etc etc

and i started to wonder if a folding bike would make a good world tourer, esp if you needed to take the occasional flight.
those small wheels must be pretty sturdy!

i look forward to see how heinz does on his bike friday :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby ktrout » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:47 am

RYP wrote:Do they call you Lizard neck after that trip? :)) I never put more on my bike that I could carry on my back. It surprising how far you can go with just a patch kit, bedroll, jar of peanut butter, water, tarp and spare tire.

I went a little heavier than that. Well, a lot heavier. Somewhere in the range of 50lbs of gear including the bags, 30lb bike, plus two gallons of water. Got as far as Salt Lake City from San Jose (900 miles) before my wife guilt tripped me onto an airplane. I had a couple of other things at home that were requesting my attention anyway. The saddle sores were healing up and I was getting to the point where 100 miles a day over mountains and through 30+mph winds became ordinary. The plan for next time is for her to go to China while I ride. We just have to find a temporary home for our cat.
All of the people who were predicting my demise in Nevada had to eat crow. It wasn't all that tough. Getting over the Sierras was good prep for that.
At the end, I like the Novara Safari I rode. The top tube deflects with full rear saddle bags (including water) but that just requires a lighter touch with the bike. It took forty miles of riding after I got home to get used to riding an unloaded bicycle again.
The tread on the tires I used were starting to separate. I won't be using that brand again.
In the future it's quite possible that I'd go with whatever I could fit into my Camelbak and a sleeping bag.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:18 am

glad to hear you had a fun ride ktrout :)
you should post some photos in the photos section!

fwiw - i am a die hard fan of the Schwalbe Marathon tires nowadays, i just ordered a set for my next touring bike:
http://www.bikefriday.com/pocketllama?styleId=1668&styleExternalId=3

marie-angelique
Coonass

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!