GPS recommendations?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: GPS recommendations?

Postby ktrout » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 pm

For short day trips and workouts the Forerunners are really good. They run short of memory if you're going to be outside for more than 12 hours or so. I've been tempted to get one of those little netbooks. A full size laptop is just too inconvenient and some netbooks are only ~$300 around here.
I use a Garmin Vista HCx but its built in maps are pretty limited. The MicroSD track saving feature is very important to me.
I just found something called Backcountry Navigator for Windows Mobile, but that's just for the US. I like the idea of using my Blackjack II which has a built in (marginal) GPS. I use Google Maps on it for my nav system all the time. Unfortunately using the GPS kills the battery in hours, but it's still a useful tool.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 am

redharen wrote:Hey, M-A, here's something weird I figured out while using the Colorado 400t last spring. I had lithium batteries, and if I set the GPS so that it "knew" it had lithium batteries, they would last something like 14-15 hrs. But if I set it to the "Alkaline" setting, the GPS ran for something like twice that long -- well beyond the manufacturer's specifications. I don't know if manipulating the settings caused any risk of messing the thing up, but you might mess around with that.

interesting, maybe it turns off some of the juice sucking functions if it is on alkis.....i'll give it a try :)

i am going to try to start interfacing the GPS data with google earth.....as soon as i figure out how....http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_gps.html
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby redharen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:06 pm

I did that with the Colorado I used and it wasn't hard at all. You can use the Garmin MapSource software (which I assume came with the GPS) or there's an option in Google Earth that automatically takes the information off your GPS.
redharen
small ax

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 pm

i installed the mapsource, but now google earth is telling me i need Google Plus :(
whatever the hell that is......

my batteries died again today, so i took them out and warmed them up in my armpit for a few, worked like a charm :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby redharen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey, I think upgrading to Google Earth Plus is free -- Google Earth Pro is what'll cost you. I remember having had to do the same thing.
redharen
small ax

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 am

hmm...according to their site you have to buy the pro version :(
http://earth.google.com/enterprise/earth_pro.html#comparison

what a drag:
Looking for Google Earth Plus?

Google Earth Plus is no longer available for purchase. We believe the needs of most Google Earth Plus customers will be met with Google Earth, which is freely available to all our customers. For customers looking for additional capabilities like importing data, higher resolution images for printing or presentations, and faster speeds, Google offers Google Earth Pro.

Existing Google Earth Plus customers can learn more about their options.

http://earth.google.com/enterprise/earth_plus.html

i suppose i can just type in the gps coordinates by hand :p

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby redharen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Wait, no, I thought MapSource had a way of linking up to Google Earth regardless of the version. Maybe I'm crazy. I'll try to see what I did and then I'll let you know.
redharen
small ax

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:42 pm

redharen wrote:Wait, no, I thought MapSource had a way of linking up to Google Earth regardless of the version. Maybe I'm crazy. I'll try to see what I did and then I'll let you know.

Cool...I'd like to know too. I wasn't too impressed with MapSource, but I haven't played on it that much yet.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:26 am

you are right, there is a thing under "view" in mapsource that overlays your track onto google earth.

then i was reading someone's journal on crazyguyonabike and saw this thing: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ which i haven't tried yet but looks cooler.

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm

BTW you were right about the batteries redharen. since i put in duracells i haven't had one failure....and still running the first set.

so it looks like the garmins run longer and better on duracell alkalines than on everyready lithiums.....

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:29 pm

By the way, for those of you new to GPS and using it with a map or chart - don't forget to set the GPS to the correct datum. If you don't, you won't be where you think you are. I was just reminded of this by a guy I talked to last night who was trying to get from point A to point B and ended up significantly off course, well on his way to point R and couldn't figure out why. Fortunately he realized that he was well off course and turned back until he could figure out where the hell he was using approximate positions on his GPS, ATON's he now had in sight, and a chart. He had a blank look on his face when a friend of mine asked him if he set his GPS to the correct datum. All NOAA charts will specify which datum they're using, and I believe USGS maps do as well. Some GPS units can do this automatically, but I would set it manually. Funny thing is that he was still confused because his compass was "wrong" too. He paid no attention to the local variation and had no idea what his deviation would be. I guess he was using true headings or something. Actually, I have no fuckin' idea what he was doing, and I don't think he did either.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:26 am

yeah, you have to calibrate the compass. for mine you hit the calibrate button and turn it slowly twice. has he tried that?

mine has been fun in unexpected ways. i was on the train, which left late and was running late, wondering how long i had until we arrived, and my trusty gps let me know.....

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

There was nothing wrong with the compass...he just had no idea what the deviation was, and variance was irrelevant to him because he was using magnetic.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:09 am

oh i thought you meant the compass that is built into the gps. so he had a separate compass??

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby redharen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Thus illustrating the point that neither GPS nor a compass are any use at all if you don't know how to use them.
redharen
small ax

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!