Glucose sweets.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Glucose sweets.

Postby ExPatJack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Ok, so when I think back to my misguided youth and all the hiking/ camping I used to do, I always remembered having some sort of high glucose sweet/ hard candy with me. I do alot of hiking in my area and am always trying to keep my energy up.
Living in the US, I'm having a hard time finding anything high glucose to carry with me. I asked my local Pharmacist who looked at me like I was mad. He did direct me to a high glucose gel (not bad, but it looks like a small tube of antiseptic, which on one trip, I grabbed instead of the glucose and took a hit of Neosporin) intended for diabetics along with some tablets that taste like Tums. I was also directed to pick up some cough drops (Ricola in particular) which I almost always carry around in my pack.

Any thoughts or suggestions for this? I tried the various gels and stuff you find at the checkout of the sporting goods store, but I think they suck.
"I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth." - Adolf Hitler
"All books are children's books if the kid can read" - Mitch Hedburg
ExPatJack
BFCus Regularus

Re: Glucose sweets.

Postby Greg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I know you just said you don't like the gels, but there is one that just came out. Might be worth a try. I bought one this past weekend, but haven't used it yet. I'll post a review after I do.

"GU Energy Gel is proud to introduce the most advanced energy gel yet, Roctane, designed for the hardest working athletes in sports. Roctane originated as a premium energy gel developed by company founder Dr. William Vaughan to fuel his daughter Laura’s course record at the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run in the Colorado Rockies."

http://www.guenergy.com/
Greg

Postby ExPatJack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks. I'll give them a test drive. I just don't like the powerbar ones and thats all I can find at my local places.
"I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth." - Adolf Hitler
"All books are children's books if the kid can read" - Mitch Hedburg
ExPatJack
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:42 pm

i love GU. esp the chocolate, but then i like eating icing out of the can. the banana is good too.
it digests real fast and easy, even at altitude.
and has caffeine :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby shivers » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:47 pm

Careful with the Ricola. If you eat too many, you'll get the trots.

In a previous life, when I burned calories at an alarming rate, I ate Pop Tarts. Not glucose I know, but fuck me, those things are sweet.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Zero » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 pm

shivers wrote:In a previous life, when I burned calories at an alarming rate

As the clients get older...

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=11 <--- GU and Hammer Gel are suggested, I don't have anything to add from (lack of) experience.
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby Boom-Boom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:51 pm

I used Gu on my marathon - the plain and the vanilla (my fave). Convenient to carry and, yes, reminiscent of eating icing out of the tub.
"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing." Socrates
Boom-Boom

Postby svizzerams » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:24 am

Clif makes something called Shot Bloks that contain glucose and caffeine, its a chewy sort of square lump of CHO. I got a free sample of the Black Cherry variety :-)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!