Assisted Opening Knives

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Assisted Opening Knives

Postby khalampre » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 pm

So I snagged the pocket clip on my CRKT, and due to what I find to be a design flaw I have no lanyard hole to tie some 550 cord to. The Spyderco that I so loves has this lanyard hole, and more over when you pull it from your pocket it comes out in a manner that allows you to open the knife in one motion rather then having to flip the knife 180 to open it.

I was searching for a new knife on the interwebz because the crap they have in the PX is about twice the price it should be, and about twice of a blade that I find to be useful as a pocket knife. Here is a site that I hope that you all can enjoy. The prices seem to be fair.

http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/.assistedopeningfolders/
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Re: Assisted Opening Knives

Postby Kickadog » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:18 am

FFS.... this post just cost me $135.97.....
Kickadog

Postby khalampre » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:35 am

Well at least show us what you purchased.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:47 am

So I snagged the pocket clip on my CRKT

the worst feature on the CRKT, mine was always loosening .
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:29 pm

I have a Smith&Wesson "Black ops" knife model #SWBLOPS.

It looks like this:

I think the name of this knife is ridiculous...however, consider the following:

I was looking for a knife that I could have on the rare occasion that I wear jeans (which isn't very often). The leatherman tool, which is my daily carry when I'm wearing utility trousers is a bit too thick to work very well with jeans. It's a great knife (actually 2 knives in one) and extremely tough...but not always excellent for wearing - and I don't like to fiddle with knife sheaths.

I was only looking for a knife that clipped to the outside of my pocket in such a fashion as you (khal) explain; so that when you draw and open the knife it is in a position which is ready for practical use (cutting rope, gutting a deer, etc.).

Personally I think it's ridiculous to have a knife that sits any other way in a pocket - they only design them that way in the name of "safety" - so your knife won't open in your pants pocket and stab in you in your dick - but it's ridiculous when you need to use it - especially if you only have one hand free.

So I looked around in my nearest town and this one was the best one I could find for a reasonable price:

I bought it at Tractor Supply, a retail farm supply store. it cost about $35.00 (or close to that)

The good, the bad, the ugly:

Good:

-Clip sets on the right way. It hasn't broken yet (but it's only seen moderate use - not heavy use like the leatherman).
-It has a hole for a lanyard which is large enough to use 550 cord with.
-It came razor sharp (I always test this whenever I buy a knife - try to shave the back of my hand hairs with it - if hairs are on the knife in one pass, I know it's good.
-The aluminum knife handle has such a shape that I could tie cordage around in two points (lanyard hole being one of them) to attach it to a stick to use it to "chop" with - as in chop a small pole sized tree down.
-The assist is adjustable by turning a screw that holds the handle together - but the screw has good tension and hasn't slipped out of position, so it's tight and it's fast the way I have it set.
-The button on the blade is permanently set and is large enough to feel without seeing to open the knife.
-The knife has a closed position lock - so it cannot open and cut you in your dick.
-The blade is a chisel ground blade (it appears hollow ground on one side) - 440 stainless, so very easy to field sharpen to high precision (except for the serrations - about an inch long closest to the handle).
-The locking mechanism holds the blade to the handle very solidly.
-Lifetime warranty.

Bad:

-The handle could use to be diamond serrated instead of alternating grooves - it's okay, but during wet slimy forest conditions, it could get slippery, which is not good.
-I'm skeptical of trying to cut a tree down with this. I'm not sure it would handle it. The knife seems solid, but would the cast aluminum and stainless combo hold up in extreme conditions - not sure. I think it would take a lot more testing.
-Since the blade is chisel ground, it does it's best cutting in one direction, thus chopping would require a moving of position, unlike a traditional blade.
-All screws are hex head fasteners, so if you have to adjust the screws in the field, you're s.o.l. without a couple of hex keys.

The ugly:

-Black ops is a totally ridiculous name.

My overall conclusion is that this is a hell of a value for what you get. I wouldn't bother with anything tougher in a folder...none of them can compete with a single piece of flat steel in brutal use.

I just noticed that it is listed on that link you have toward the bottom.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby XpatBubba » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 am

Nice site.
I like the Junglee brand. Very solid and cheap compared to most, made in USA
XpatBubba

Postby Devlin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:04 am

Check out the Emerson knives with the "wave".
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!