Bad Gear Day

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Bad Gear Day

Postby ktrout » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:16 am

I was attaching a can of Bear Spray (I like to use stuff I buy, and buy stuff I'll use) to a pouch on my water pack prior to going cycling. I used a bit too much force and the safety tab slipped off, and a good amount was released. Fortunately the nozzle was pointed at my shirt instead of the ceiling or my face.
I threw the shirt away and came back to clean up the rest of the mess. Not thinking about it, I touched my hands to my face, resulting in a vigorous 15 minute shower before I was able to get my eyes open again.
When I came back I had to use a mask to be able to get the windows open in the house and turn the fan on.
Even tonight, my hands still sting. I can barely touch the keyboard because the heat from my laptop makes my hands feel like they're burning.
I told my wife it was like the oil they use at her favorite SiChuanese restaurants, except concentrated.
She rejected my offer to let her use it in her cooking.
Strong stuff...
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Re: Bad Gear Day

Postby Devlin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:07 pm

The jump in the shower trick does not work very well with forms of O.C. spray. Think oil and water. Next time sit in the front seat of your car and blast the cold AC at your face. Time is your friend when dealing with O.C.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Years ago when I was just a kid I went to get into the glove compartment in my mom's car to get something and when I opened it a can of mace got caught in the hinge and somehow I got some on my hand and just like you, touched my face with it. That is not a fun experience to be sure.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Devlin wrote:The jump in the shower trick does not work very well with forms of O.C. spray. Think oil and water. Next time sit in the front seat of your car and blast the cold AC at your face. Time is your friend when dealing with O.C.

Yeah, I discovered pretty quickly that plain water wasn't working. I think I used half a bottle of shampoo. Today I still have a mild chemical burn on my left hand and forearm.
I can't see it, but I can feel it...
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:56 am

What I always did for that stuff was slather dish soap all over the affected area first, wipe off the soap with a towel and then slather it on again and rinse. It still spreads evenly over your body but it is a bearable level of pain.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby CR3 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Kurt wrote:What I always did for that stuff was slather dish soap all over the affected area first, wipe off the soap with a towel and then slather it on again and rinse. It still spreads evenly over your body but it is a bearable level of pain.

I've only had it in my eyes and then soap wasn't really the way to go...

So I had to spend 30 min with the head in the sink running cold water.
I'm an adventurous person, I don't mind the gap.
CR3
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:18 pm

CR3 wrote:
Kurt wrote:What I always did for that stuff was slather dish soap all over the affected area first, wipe off the soap with a towel and then slather it on again and rinse. It still spreads evenly over your body but it is a bearable level of pain.

For the anti-IMF protests I went to years ago we used baby shampoo for that. Lots of baby shampoo still burns your eyes but you do not notice the burn from the soap when it is curing the burn from pepper spray. Also the trick is to dilute it, and put it in a bottle that can squirt and put your face down so the pepper leaves your face instead of spreading elsewhere.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby CR3 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Lots of good advice there

and yes, it should have been kind of obvious that with pepperspray in your eyes a bit of soap isn't gona kill'ya!
I'm an adventurous person, I don't mind the gap.
CR3
BFCus Regularus

Postby Abuster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:30 am

This whole thread is making my eyes water!
Abuster

Postby ktrout » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Kurt wrote:
CR3 wrote:

For the anti-IMF protests I went to years ago we used baby shampoo for that. Lots of baby shampoo still burns your eyes but you do not notice the burn from the soap when it is curing the burn from pepper spray. Also the trick is to dilute it, and put it in a bottle that can squirt and put your face down so the pepper leaves your face instead of spreading elsewhere.

Did any protesters take their own gas masks?
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 pm

I'd probably try using milk if I had some.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:47 pm

ktrout wrote:Did any protesters take their own gas masks?

Most of them weren't that clever. They used all sorts of wacko stuff, like eggs and onions. You could have fed half of Africa with the stuff they turned up for demos with.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Q » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Kurt wrote:

I will second this method. This must be some kind of standard in some revolutionary/civil disobedience/drunken assholes manual somewhere as my German gf used to treat me in this manner after football matches that per European law, always end up in quasi-riots.

And slightly on topic, you can build up a "tolerance" to non-lethal chemical agents. I didn't have half the problem with the gas chamber in basic that others did.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby ShanghaiedStampede » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:02 am

My buddy and I used that shit on a crackhead that got too friendly, but had a similar situation. Some of the burst hit his finger and sprayed back into his face. He held his head under a hose until the pain subsided. When we were driving back a crystallized chunk dropped back into his eye and he would not stop screaming! I'm still laughing my ass off. HAHAHAHAHA
MALLEVS VITRVM FRANGIT, SERRVM AVTEM TUNDIT
ShanghaiedStampede

Postby Swordsman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:49 pm

ShanghaiedStampede wrote:My buddy and I used that shit on a crackhead that got too friendly, but had a similar situation. Some of the burst hit his finger and sprayed back into his face. He held his head under a hose until the pain subsided. When we were driving back a crystallized chunk dropped back into his eye and he would not stop screaming! I'm still laughing my ass off. HAHAHAHAHA

You're a good friend.
"We are the last bastion of free Fuck You shithole travel agents... like Orbitz run by the Soup Nazi...like Club Med run by Goebbels...like a discount seat contest on a North Korean SCUD... - RYP
Swordsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!