What tools do you carry when traveling?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: What tools do you carry when traveling?

Postby Medevac » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

I just bought one of these:

which looks great and works well, but is completely pointless as I must have more than half a dozen other multi-tools floating around.

That, a mini-LED torch the size of a quarter, and as much duct tape as I can carry means I can fix anything or anyone.

if I'm traveling really light and don't want any checked baggage I usually pick up some junk pocket knife at my destination. I've only ever broken one of these (and was still able to finish the job with the remains), so as much as I love the fancy-schmancy gadget tools, I'm more inclined to go low-tech. This is mainly so I can sneer at others reliance on gadgetry as a means for making up for their own inability to work up a solution.

That's right, I'm a gadget nazi.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:12 pm

a small led torch, duct tape, plumbers ties, crazy glue, various pills and a folding knife
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby projectalice » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:38 pm

redharen wrote:I love it when you're in a room full of people and say, "Anyone have a knife?" and then whoever does goes into a mad rush to be the first to pull it out of their pocket and give it to you, as if all the years they've been carrying it around and hardly using it are justified by the fact that you need one now, and they were able to meet the need.

Guilty as charged. I live for moments like that. I always travel with my two hunting knives (in case I lose one) and one gigantic 50-function Swiss Army knife (because you never know).
It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. (Ten Bears in "The Outlaw Josey Wales")
projectalice
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 pm

projectalice wrote:
redharen wrote:I love it when you're in a room full of people and say, "Anyone have a knife?" and then whoever does goes into a mad rush to be the first to pull it out of their pocket and give it to you, as if all the years they've been carrying it around and hardly using it are justified by the fact that you need one now, and they were able to meet the need.

Guilty as charged. I live for moments like that. I always travel with my two hunting knives (in case I lose one) and one gigantic 50-function Swiss Army knife (because you never know).

So true. The reality is that the vast majority of knives get used for opening envelopes and cutting banding straps. And whittling desks.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:22 am

this trip i am carrying this bicycle repair tool. i use it all the time.
and a pocket knife, a real pair of scissors, needle and thread, syringes, torch, patches, tire irons, spare spokes, compass, whistle, zip ties, and duct tape.

i forgot my freewheel remover....they don't even make this ingenius device anymore :(
the infamous hypercracker, notice it even has spoke wrenches on the left.
i just better not break any spokes, unless i can find a similar device here in gay paree.....
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby javaman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:02 am

I always carry a bootle of Jack Daniels. It does mark you but every nut in the world wants it. Tastes like shit to me, but a great way to make friends.
javaman

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 am

javaman wrote:I always carry a bootle of Jack Daniels. It does mark you but every nut in the world wants it. Tastes like shit to me, but a great way to make friends.

Yo dude, Ill be your buddy!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby CNphoto » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:41 am

javaman wrote:I always carry a bootle of Jack Daniels. It does mark you but every nut in the world wants it. Tastes like shit to me, but a great way to make friends.

i always carry cigarettes and gum when traveling. even though i don't smoke, sometimes lighting up with a newfound buddy is better form, in which case i go with the "bill clinton" method of smoking. besides that cameras, ID and a credit card are my staples.
CNphoto

Postby CNphoto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:17 pm

i thought about it, and i probably read the cigarettes thing in some issue of DP in college and i got the bubble gum thing from that brad britt/robert redford spy movie... heh. both have served well, though in tanzania kids and adults alike always swallowed the gum...
CNphoto

Postby swordpoint9 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm

I have allot of stuff to list: Leatherman/ Gerber multitool, Buckmaster knife, old East German e-tool, coldsteel recon tanto pocketknife, Gorilla glue/Superglue, 100 MPH tape, Camelback/backpack, First Aid/Survival kit, plastic ties, Poncho liner, Gore Tex coat, complete change of clothes, in U.S. a Glock 26/M6 scout, Everywhere else pick up firearm off populace suppliers or govt. Image
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 am

i carry around one these fuckers

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site ... 176&lang=E

it's quite funny sometimes when guys are grabing their knives to show them off or to do something and i draw it out of my pocket and the blade is really good even though it is quite small and the clippers can handla a wire up to 3-4mm thick

i have to get one of these for when i write my novel on a space station in complete darkness

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site ... 178&lang=E
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Tue May 05, 2009 6:13 am

I don't usually carry much unless I'm on my bicycle then I carry all kinds of shit. I think a high end Leatherman is useful and I think whoever invented the LED headlamp should have sainthood.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue May 05, 2009 2:48 pm

No kidding. I use my headlamp a lot. It's great for fishing at night, and indispensable for electrical work.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Tue May 05, 2009 5:41 pm

Dabbi wrote:i carry around one these fuckers

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site ... 176&lang=E

it's quite funny sometimes when guys are grabing their knives to show them off or to do something and i draw it out of my pocket and the blade is really good even though it is quite small and the clippers can handla a wire up to 3-4mm thick

i have to get one of these for when i write my novel on a space station in complete darkness

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site ... 178&lang=E

The Classic is one of the best and most practical knives out there -- it alone can get you through an awful lot. Dunno about the one with the light, though; you get an LED, but at the cost of the tweezers and toothpick, which I use all the time.
redharen
small ax

Postby RYP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 am

tabasco sauce, Mr Dp stickers and money
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!