running shoes

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: running shoes

Postby flipflop » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:41 pm

No worries mucker, just try to keep off the paving stones and on the tarmac if possible - better still, find as many grassy areas to run on as you can, including your run home if possible. Nothing fucks up your tendons more than good old-fashioned British paving stones

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:54 pm

A couple laps round Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens should do the trick. I used to run in London traffic, not recomended for beginers!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby projectalice » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Johnny, I also recommend to do lots of walking before you start running. No need to make up for lost time by cranking it out and ruining your knees or getting other injuries. If you want to be a runner, you need to be a walker, for at least 3 (ideally 6) months so your bones can catch up with your heart and muscles. This time will also teach you the routine/discipline to run afterwards.

One great motivator for me was to subscribe to a running magazine. I read it not so much for the advice, but for the motivational stories. They will get you (or better said: shame you) off the couch time and time again.

Another great motivator is to sign up for 3 or 5Ks. You WILL train because you don't want to embarrass yourself too bad:)

Or start running with an experienced runner if one is merciful enough to drag you along. You WILL get better and faster without noticing it.

All these things work for me so I wanted to pass them along to you. Maybe the one or other piece of advice will help you too. I agree with some of the other posters to buy running shoes from a specialized running store. I can't recommend brands as every foot is different and one brand does probably not fit all.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Happy New Year everybody.
It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. (Ten Bears in "The Outlaw Josey Wales")
projectalice
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 pm

When I start running again after a lengthy hiatus, I start slowly, and work on getting some distance in. I mean slowly enough that a speed walker could keep up with me. I find this to be gentle on my knees and and I still get a workout if I carry weights in my hands. I work up to a few miles (maybe five or six max), and then start working on speed. Once you drop those weights and go for a few miles run, it feels great. Just be careful not to strain your shoulders and elbows.

I don't know if the above is good advice, but it works for me. Damn, I need to get off my lazy ass and get back into shape.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby matt5058 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 am

I'm trying to get myself into walking and running and doing more cardio as well. I had a pair of nike livestrong running shoes sent to me a few months ago and they are one of the best pairs of shoes I've run in. I had problems running in nike shox a few years ago but these are one of the best pairs of nikes I've ever owned.

Jump rope = great cardio as well
matt5058
BFCus Regularus

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:02 pm

ok guys, so this what I went for in the end: the New Balance MR800MF. quite a cool name actually. the lady at Run and Become in Westminster (http://www.urbanpath.com/london/running ... become.htm)said I had this condition where when I step I touch with the outer side of the sole first. she said that she never saw someone with this condition so pronounced as mine. she actually gave me a name for it but I can't really remember it. she gave me a normal pair first and then these ones and there was indeed a massive difference. I felt I could push more with these ones. I tried two more pairs but I still went for the NB 800 in the end.

the shop assistant made me run a couple of laps outside the shop to see how I run and what would fit me. what was really funny was that the first time I did it there was a police van at the end of alley rammed with coppers. you should have seen the looks on their faces seeing a fella running out of a shop towards them with what looked like a new pair of shoes on him while behind him a shop assistant was looking in a weird way...

anyway....thanks again for all the good advice!!

JFF
I don't want to know who you use, as long as they're not complete muppets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpyHbcXTIs
JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby flipflop » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:47 pm

Midfoot strike?

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:41 pm

no, it was something else. it sounded more medicinal.

JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 pm

This is the place to go for getting the right trainer and is easy to get to. Nice cafe round the corner for a fat boys breakfast after you've done the hard work of selecting your shoe. There's usually some camel toe on show too.

http://www.runandbecome.com/london.html
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:12 pm

that's where I got them from.

JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:22 pm

JohnnyFishfinger wrote:no, it was something else. it sounded more medicinal.

Over or under pronation?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:38 pm

no, but I googled "pronation" and supination came up too, which is what she said

JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby flipflop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:55 am

Go with the camel toe, looks funny but much more comfortable than any training shoe, fewer blisters

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Yeahsure » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:44 am

You can save a buck and go to this guys' site:

http://www.vitruvianrunning.com/

Tell Chuck that Wayne sent you. His customer service is great for a small biz.

Or you can go to LOCO...use the "ClubLoco" designation in the left hand column:

http://www.locorunning.com/prod.php

Ask for Mike or Linda St. Laurent, they will be helpful as well.
Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:58 am

nice one Wayne.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!