Boots

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Boots

Postby Woodsman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ryan Partridge » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Woodsman wrote:Image

Woodsman, your old Danner's are badass. I ordered a pair of Explorers last week and should be pickin' em up in a few days. I was torn between those and the Mountain Light II's.

Hopefully they're my last boots.
Ryan Partridge

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:50 pm

The REI house brand boots are mostly made by Raichle, a swiss company that's been making hiking boots since 1924... There's some things online about them getting swallowed up in an acquisition but it doesn't appear quality has suffered. Mine are great though the metal eyelets rub through laces at the rate of one set of laces about every 4 months.

http://www.google.com.pk/search?hl=en&c ... arch&meta=

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Raichle.html

http://www.mammut.ch/footwear.html
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kickadog » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:12 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with a pair of Danners.... wore a pair doing the Camino Del Norte in 2007...800+ Kms in 50 days without a single blister...dont think you can do much better than that....

DD
Kickadog

Postby nowonmai » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:55 pm

I only just caught Lentil's great post(s). Shame he hasn't been back, he sounds barking mad and quite funny. The reason we don;t pick up hitch hikers in the UK is because the Government closed down all the lunatic asylums (non PC term there) to save money and they now call it care in the community. This means that 50% of all hitch hikers (fact) are crazed zombies who want to eat your brain, the other 50% are either tourists or students, both of which are generally best avoided.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tonne » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Socks is an issue underestimated by many. With standard army issues or whatever you won't be happy in the end. In my unit (mountain infantry - we walk a lot) all people I know purchased the most highend hiking socks they could get, about €20 a pair, all bolstered and made of merino wool. I didn't regret it afterwards; it was a complete different thing compared to the shit I had to use in basic training. In terms of both avoiding blisters after a 60km march and, last but not least, smell.
Coming to boots, I strongly recommend Lowa, Meindl or Haix. I had Meindl as mountain boots (standard issue), and they were the best I've ever had.
I just got a pair of "Meindl Safari Mid", needed some desert boots cause I'm spending August and September in western Tanzania and Congo, backpacking again. I tried some of the American stuff (Bates, Magnum, and British Altberg) but I was most satisfied with Meindl and Lowa Elite. They might not look as sexy as the Bates but do the job better.
Tonne

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Danner makes excellent boots for hunting and military use. Im a huge fan of the Courteney Boot Company as imported by Westley Richards. Currently Ive got 5 pair of boots, and find they are my choice of footwear. Get you a pair of Selous boots, they are worth the money. I wear mine as much as I can, and they still look great !!! Made for the African veldt, they are serious adventure footwear.They are an excellent bit of kit !!!! My highest recomendation for the items made by this company. Also Chad at Westley Richards in Montana is a fantastic salesperson to deal with, most helpful.
CONCHOKID

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:10 pm

What a beautiful site.
http://www.westleyrichards.com/
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby media » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 pm

I swear by em. Hunt or walk all day in em and throw on slacks to go to a restaurant for dinner!
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:29 am

media wrote:Image

I swear by em. Hunt or walk all day in em and throw on slacks to go to a restaurant for dinner!

All you need is calipers and your image is complete.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!