are multitools worthwhile?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Are multi-tools worthwhile?

Yes, get the Skeletool CX
8%
Yes, get the Victorinox Rescue Tool
4%
Yes, get something other than the Skeletool or Victorinox Rescue Tool
80%
No, multi-tools are a waste of resources
8%

Total votes : 25

Re: are multitools worthwhile?

Postby siddha » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:53 pm

thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate everyone's input.
siddha

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Chimborazo wrote:
svizzerams wrote: "..and don't even think about hiding it in the parking garage or we will have you arrested.."

For what?

Apparently in Spokane, WA (airport code: GEG) - its illegal to secure a small object in an out of the way spot in the parking garage. (rolling eyes)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby flipflop » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:00 pm

My gerber is great - for little things like poking shit out of tight places (steady, you double entendre loving bastards). Screwing my earpiece headset on and off my personal radio. Tightening shit in a flash. The pliers tighten whip antennae on vehicles. You can also quickly cut a casualty out of his seatbelt in a car accident with the blade.

Generally, with the kit a CPO carrys at work a gerber/leatherman is indispensible, like adjusting belts and opening packages (have you tried to open the plastic packages that SD cards etc, come in without using a multitool? I've tried my teeth and nearly ripped them out!) - for big jobs, forget it

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Medevac » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 pm

The best multi-tool I ever had was an older style Gerber, where the needlenose pliers slid out of the handle.

Still the only multi-tool that can easily be opened one handed, which is a big selling point for me - every time I need to use the damn things I'm already engaged trying to hold the wires together, hang of the rockface, etc... with the other hand.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby Woodsman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Medevac wrote:The best multi-tool I ever had was an older style Gerber, where the needlenose pliers slid out of the handle.

Still the only multi-tool that can easily be opened one handed, which is a big selling point for me - every time I need to use the damn things I'm already engaged trying to hold the wires together, hang of the rockface, etc... with the other hand.

I can open and close the pliers/blades/file/saw on the charge easily one handed. As for using it in places where gravity can affect your keeping it (using your example of a rock face), I drilled a couple of holes in the charge's unlocking mechanism button so I can attach a lanyard to it while still having the pocket clip on the thing.

The lanyard attachment that comes with it is pretty much useless as if you hit the unlock button, the lanyard attachment will fall off and the tool will end up in an inaccessible location.

I swear nothing I own is unmodified.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Zero » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:07 am

http://www.ratcutlery.com/ryp-hest.jpg

what's on a regulary multitool that isn't on that, that you would actually use?
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby Swordsman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 am

Zero wrote:http://www.ratcutlery.com/ryp-hest.jpg

what's on a regulary multitool that isn't on that, that you would actually use?

Scissors, Screw driver, and pliers for starters.

Just today I used my Gerber to :

Slice my tomatoes, garlic and onions when I was making breakfast
the Pliers to pull through some electric cable
the Scissors to cut my nails
the Screwdriver(crosshead) to reattach the mosquito net locking mechanism in the barracks.

Three days ago I used the screwdriver(flathead) along with the pliers to fix the sink in my hotel bathroom.
"We are the last bastion of free Fuck You shithole travel agents... like Orbitz run by the Soup Nazi...like Club Med run by Goebbels...like a discount seat contest on a North Korean SCUD... - RYP
Swordsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby CONCHOKID » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Yes, I suggest you get a Leatherman brand, with the tools that best define your needs.
They make so many tools of every price range, but they are in my opinion the brand to get. Ive owned another leading brand with less then good luck. The tools, as in screw drivers metal seems to fracture easily. You can ofcourse take them back and get another, but it doesn't make it any better when you couldn't get the screw out, when your broke down. A multitool is something Ive at least always got within a short distance. Even if I have tools in the truck or my SUV, its something I find myself using a great amount of the time. Ive got them in my packs/rucks and messenger type/brief case bags (for work), if not carried upon my person.
CONCHOKID

Postby bearanddragon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 am

SOG's my personal favorite. i've owned a leatherman and two gerbers. And I always travel with my SOG. The others i gave away as gifts...
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:59 pm

bearanddragon wrote:SOG's my personal favorite. i've owned a leatherman and two gerbers. And I always travel with my SOG. The others i gave away as gifts...

I love my SOG, it's so hardcore it's even survived being around my children.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 pm

I had a SOG multi tool that I pretty much hate, due to the way the pliers fold out. It's tough, but I don't like the design of it. I really want to get a Gerber, but I can't justify spending the money when my Victorinox gets the job done.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:31 pm

I have a sog sitting on my work/reloading bench. I also have an original leatherman (pst) sitting in a kitchen drawer. The original charge is what I used up until this weekend as I have finally lost the bastard.

I ordered a new wave in the black oxide finish yesterday. It should be here soon.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

1) a LOCKING blade is necessary. I still have scars from when one of the original folding tool knife blades folded up on my hand. I was really reefing on something trying to cut it and almost lost a few fingers.
2) My employees marched into my office about a month ago and advised me that they all needed Leatherman Waves. I got four of them ($250) so I had some play time with them, but frankly I'm not impressed. There is no substitute for a well organized tool box.
The only tool on the Wave that isn't in my tool box is a bottle opener.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby CONCHOKID » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Ive had Gerbers, liking the needle nose pliers design, but the drivers etc, snap. I now prefer the Leatherman brand now, and I have not owned a SOG. In the 1980's I bought a few Gerber knives for primitive survival classes,military,etc... One knife was allowed, along with water (pre-filter days).They were available at about any gun store along with Buck and K-Bar knives. There didn't seem to be the selection then as now.Well everyone of them failed at some point. These knives could not take the punishment of field use. Disappointing enough I had a blade snap on a sapling, and on another trip the blade came out of the handle, as the model was not a full tang.Fun trying to live off the land and your knife is a spear point, with a half inch tang to try to attach to a field made handle. The other knife I didn't trust after the first two.Never pass a waterhole or take just one knife.Maybe their items are much improved, Ive no idea, but Im not giving them another chance.
If it seems that I am tough on blades, in my defense, Ive not had this trouble with any other brand. I use my stuff a lot (not so much this last year) until it fails me then I upgrade, or change what I use/carry.
Yes, you can send them back and get another replacement, but getting the same thing back that's design has flaws in the first place, doesn't have merit. My MKII sits in a box, the other knives ????, and the multitools ended up as seconds in the garage. The needlenose still work great !!
CONCHOKID

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Bronco wrote:Leatherman Waves. I got four of them ($250) so I had some play time with them, but frankly I'm not impressed. There is no substitute for a well organized tool box.
The only tool on the Wave that isn't in my tool box is a bottle opener.

Except a well organized tool box can't be on your hip wherever you go and that's sort of the point. It will never replace all the tools in the toolbox, but it's a slick multi-tool.

I was using my original leatherman yesterday and although it's lighter than the charge/wave I've had in the past, it's not near heavy enough nor is it as convenient. I broke 3 other original leathermans before they finally sent me the last one with a message in so many words suggesting I'm too tough on their tools and that the warranty only goes so far... :-) They've been fair.

I've yet to break a wave/charge...I have lost two of them now though!

What wasn't impressive about the wave - considering what it is? - and how on Earth would you be able to build a better unit?
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!