Spot Messenger Device

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Spot Messenger Device

Postby svizzerams » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:35 am

Anyone else have or try one?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

I purchased a Spot Messenger Device just before going on a 4 day snowshoe trip into the North Cascades National Park. It has a "check OK" feature that allows you to send a signal back to the GPS satellites that will transmit either as an email or text message to whoever you designate. I used it primarily to send an "OK" message to my daughter and a couple of friends each morning before we set out to another location or stopped for the day at our designation. Here's the link to the route we took from Chelan on the ferry "up lake" to the final destination, a park service cabin at Bridge Creek.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Ne97zzv2AR

There is also a tracking feature that you can optionally activate that will send a signal every 10 minutes that will mark your route. People you designate can log in and see where you are almost in real time. It also has a 9-11 feature that will activate Emergency Medical Services or a Help function that is for something less urgent that goes out as an email or text message.

As I am planning to be out in the back country either hiking, motorbiking or kayaking this next season quite a bit I figured this might be a useful device. I'm still playing around with the tracking feature which I didn't get quite right this trip, but will perfect that before any further trips.

This is a sample of some of the landscape I enjoyed over the past 4 days. Splendid country.

View from High Bridge bridge

Park service cabin we stayed 1st and 3rd nights @ High Bridge - summer residence of park ranger

view from Bridge Creek bridge - this picture does not convey the scale (think large tree sized log that you see "bridging" the two large rocks. And the color & clarity of the water in the Stehekin River and Bridge Creek are amazing.

Park Service cabin where we stayed the 2nd night at Bridge Creek - in the summer this cabin is used to house workers who work on the Pacific Crest Trail...
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Re: Spot Messenger Device

Postby coldharvest » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:36 am

That is beautiful
How far did you hike?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby svizzerams » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:45 pm

coldharvest wrote:That is beautiful
How far did you hike?

The road is closed about 3 miles from the first cabin - then it is about 7.5 miles to the 2nd cabin. Part of the route was on the Pacific Crest Trail - which we noted portions had sustained some significant damage this winter. This area had a huge snow fall in December, then in January we had a few days where it warmed up and rained on it all - so there was massive flooding. Parts of the trail now actually gullies all jumbled up with huge trees pulled out by the roots. Impressive. Trail crews have job security in these here parts :-)

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby quadaxial » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 am

Beautiful pictures!

I've had a spot tracker for about a year. I do a lot of hiking (Sierra Nevada, Canyonlands, Great Basin, Death Valley, etc.) with occasional off roading and I'm also a recreational pilot, and it does give me a certain peace of mind and some of my friends get a kick out of getting the tracking updates too. I generally send an "OK" signal each night if I'm real remote. The 10 minute tracking feature is a bit off and on. I find you have to leave it on for quite a while, around 10-15 minutes or so, to be sure you've gotten a signal out.

I've gotten signals out all over the west coast/southwest USA, Hawaii and Japan (Mt. Fuji area). I tried sending a signal out from Liberia, but it didn't lock (as expected, Africa is dark on their coverage map below the Sahara).

My biggest complaint is that their online interface sucks and they really haven't leveraged the full potential of such a device. Your beacon history only stays on the webpage for a limited period of time before it is lost forever. I would love to be able to log on and see the full history of everywhere I've sent signals from. Apparently it can interface with Google Earth, but I haven't had the motivation to figure out how. And I can't believe they haven't integrated it with Facebook, Twitter, and the like. It would be nice to have friends easily see where I'm at without having to give them a cryptic webpage address that they'll likely forget.

My brother is an electrical engineer who works on the GPS constellation and is a big HAM nut and we're working on a prototype tracker that works within the HAM world.

Another piece of advice- when I take mine out, I've fashioned a little plastic guard that protects against involuntary pressing of the buttons. Last thing I want to do is accidentally launch a rescue and give my friends ulcers.

Hope you enjoy yours!
Jason
quadaxial

Postby svizzerams » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:46 pm

quadaxial wrote:Beautiful pictures!

I've had a spot tracker for about a year. I do a lot of hiking (Sierra Nevada, Canyonlands, Great Basin, Death Valley, etc.) with occasional off roading and I'm also a recreational pilot, and it does give me a certain peace of mind and some of my friends get a kick out of getting the tracking updates too. I generally send an "OK" signal each night if I'm real remote. The 10 minute tracking feature is a bit off and on. I find you have to leave it on for quite a while, around 10-15 minutes or so, to be sure you've gotten a signal out.

I've gotten signals out all over the west coast/southwest USA, Hawaii and Japan (Mt. Fuji area). I tried sending a signal out from Liberia, but it didn't lock (as expected, Africa is dark on their coverage map below the Sahara).

My biggest complaint is that their online interface sucks and they really haven't leveraged the full potential of such a device. Your beacon history only stays on the webpage for a limited period of time before it is lost forever. I would love to be able to log on and see the full history of everywhere I've sent signals from. Apparently it can interface with Google Earth, but I haven't had the motivation to figure out how. And I can't believe they haven't integrated it with Facebook, Twitter, and the like. It would be nice to have friends easily see where I'm at without having to give them a cryptic webpage address that they'll likely forget.

My brother is an electrical engineer who works on the GPS constellation and is a big HAM nut and we're working on a prototype tracker that works within the HAM world.

Another piece of advice- when I take mine out, I've fashioned a little plastic guard that protects against involuntary pressing of the buttons. Last thing I want to do is accidentally launch a rescue and give my friends ulcers.

Hope you enjoy yours!
Jason

Yeah, its not 100% perfect - and I did note that the tracking messages are only up for about 7 days then disappear. :-( But I also like the peace of mind that I can let people know I'm fine when I'm off on one of my solo adventures. I haven't played around with the mapping potential either. I think its pretty cheap insurance, esp. in the areas I live with all the wilderness areas I like to hang around in. The technology intriques me - this I hope is a prototype of more robust things to come. I liked the idea of the "ok" send message vs a "blind" locating device.

svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Woodsman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02 pm

svizzerams wrote:Image

I'm going to pretend that's a hot spring for my own well being. :-)
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Woodsman wrote:
svizzerams wrote:Image

I'm going to pretend that's a hot spring for my own well being. :-)

Either way >;-)) the temptation to jump in !

Does anyone know if any company has combined this type of system with a gps? Or planning to. Sort of makes sense I would have thought.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Dabbi » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 am

I went on a week long trip this easter, it didnt work on the northern slopes of any mountains but other than that it did most of what it promised but i personally would rather use nmt/vhf/tetra and a little bit of travel planing rather than investing in the beacon and have to gary another electrical gizmo on top of everything else.
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:39 pm

svizzerams wrote:Anyone else have or try one?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

I purchased a Spot Messenger Device just before going on a 4 day snowshoe trip into the North Cascades National Park. It has a "check OK" feature that allows you to send a signal back to the GPS satellites that will transmit either as an email or text message to whoever you designate. I used it primarily to send an "OK" message to my daughter and a couple of friends each morning before we set out to another location or stopped for the day at our designation. Here's the link to the route we took from Chelan on the ferry "up lake" to the final destination,

Those thinking of buying the thing... keep this in mind: It does not transmit to GPS satellites. GPS satellites do not receive data from you, or anyone else. GPS satellites are orbiting atomic clocks that transmit a timing code which is interpreted by the onboard computer in a GPS receiver, which then calculates your X, Y or X,Y,Z coordinates. The only entity which transmits -to- GPS satellites is the US Air Force, from a high security base surrounded by razorwire in the high Colorado desert. GPS is a one-way technology, if your handheld "GPS" device is transmitting something it's doing it by a completely different method.

It uses the Globalstar network which is slowly failing and falling out of the sky.

http://www.globalstar.com/en/news/press ... ressId=468

http://www.sat-nd.com/failures/index.ht ... lstar.html

Unlike Iridium there are no new satellites going up, and it looks unlikely in the current economy that they will find enough capital to launch the necessary replacements before the current set completely fail. Already voice availability is down to patchy 45 second gaps with occasional 5+ minute availability. One way message ability hasn't been affected as much yet. But my point is that you should NOT rely on this as an emergency position locating device, get a real EPIRB or an Iridium phone if you want to go off the map and let people know your location.

I'll quote below from Globalstar's most recently filed SEC 10Q form:

----------------
� Constellation life and health. Our current satellite constellation is aging. We successfully launched our eight spare satellites in 2007. All of our satellites launched prior to 2007 have experienced various anomalies over time, one of which is a degradation in the performance of the solid-state power amplifiers of the S-band communications antenna subsystem (our "two-way communication issues"). The S-band antenna provides the downlink from the satellite to a subscriber's phone or data terminal. Degraded performance of the S-band antenna amplifiers reduces the availability of two-way voice and data communication between the affected satellites and the subscriber and may reduce the duration of a call. When the S-band antenna on a satellite ceases to be functional, two-way communication is impossible over that satellite, but not necessarily over the constellation as a whole. We continue to provide two-way subscriber service because some of our satellites are fully functional but at certain times in any given location it may take longer to establish calls and the average duration of calls may be reduced. There are periods of time each day during which no two-way voice and data service is available at any particular location. The root cause of our two-way communication issues is unknown, although we believe it may result from irradiation of the satellites in orbit caused by the space environment at the altitude that our satellites operate.

The decline in the quality of two-way communication does not affect adversely our one-way Simplex data transmission services, including our SPOT satellite GPS messenger products and services, which utilize only the L-band uplink from a subscriber's Simplex terminal to the satellites. The signal is transmitted back down from the satellites on our C-band feeder links, which are functioning normally, not on our S-band service downlinks.

We continue to work on plans, including new products and services and pricing programs to mitigate the effects of reduced service availability upon our customers and operations. Among other things, we requested Thales Alenia Space to present a four-part sequential plan for accelerating delivery of the initial 24 satellites of our second-generation constellation by up to four months. To date, we have accepted the first two portions of this plan. However due to revisions in the construction schedule in 2009 requested by us at an initial cost of $2.0 million, the potential gains from this acceleration may not be fully achieved. Accordingly, we cannot provide assurance that any acceleration will occur, and we now believe that we will not commence deploying our second-generation satellites prior to 2010. See "Part I, Item 1A. Risk Factors-Our satellites have a limited life and some have failed, which causes our network to be compromised and which materially and adversely affects our business, prospects and profitability" of our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on March 31, 2009.

� We estimate that procuring and deploying our second-generation satellite constellation and upgrading our gateways and other ground facilities will cost approximately $1.26 billion (at a weighted average conversion rate of �1.00=$1.3168 and excluding launch costs for the second 24 satellites, internal costs and capitalized interest), which we expect will be reflected in capital expenditures through 2013. The following obligations are included in this amount:

from the 10K:

Going Concern. We currently lack sufficient resources to fund the procurement and deployment of our second-generation constellation and other related construction costs and our on-going operations, which are currently generating negative cash flows. Due to the worldwide economic crisis and the tight credit market, obtaining suitable additional financing remains challenging. Our registered public accounting firm's audit report on our consolidated financial statements as of December 31, 2008, and for the year then ended includes a "going concern" explanatory paragraph that expresses substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern. The "going concern" explanatory paragraph reflects substantial doubt about our ability to obtain this financing in a timely manner.

thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm

I am currently leaving a track and have noticed that it seems to be pinging better than ever-once every 5 minutes instead of the 3-4 per hour I got in the Purcell Mtns. Thankfully it wasn't on when I was hopelessly lost outside of Vancouver. The soft top on this Samurai helps too. The nagging from loved ones over a 550 mile per day pace is a downside.

I got a survey indicating their new unit will have a keyboard and will allow custom messaging on the fly and should cost about $300US.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Nf3WA7kLyI
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:02 pm

if you plan on using it in a car leave it in the front of the car next to the windshield
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aussie TJS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:00 am

My Dad bought me one for my Journey not so much for my sake (the 911 feature) but so that he can know i'm going 'ok' everynow and then. So far the Spot Tracker has been great and i've had no worries with it. Unfortunetly Afghanistan and surrounding areas are not high on the transmit levels so sometimes it takes ages for the ST to pick up the signals and then send the message. But all is well, good device. The 12 month rego is pretty expensive though.

TJS
Happiness is only a reality when shared
The goal is to Survive or die for a cause - I'll let Jah choose which one
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!