My new Favorite Small Camera

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: My new Favorite Small Camera

Postby felspar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Aaaand it looks like the E-P2 will be released any day now:

http://photorumors.com/2009/11/03/olymp ... -japanese/
felspar

Postby felspar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 am

felspar

Postby nowonmai » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:01 pm

felspar wrote:Aaaand it looks like the E-P2 will be released any day now:

http://photorumors.com/2009/11/03/olymp ... -japanese/

Duh, I've already canned mine, I got it on beta last month you loser. Jeez.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby felspar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:49 am

And looks like a new Ricoh by the middle of the month: http://43rumors.com/ft3-ricoh-with-aps-c-sensor/

Isn't this all moot? I thought RYP you had a collection of leica gear kicking around, why not an M9?
felspar

Postby redfax » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 pm

felspar wrote:Isn't this all moot? I thought RYP you had a collection of leica gear kicking around, why not an M9?

Right, I mean, wouldn't you hate being that guy who "Got killed over a $50 digicam?", I mean if you're going to croak, at least make sure the guy remembers you fondly.
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:11 am

The M9 isnt quite there yet...no autofocus ( for those who use it)..i feel sorry for those who brought the M8.
the "M10" will be the equalizer, we hope.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby RYP » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:19 am

M9 Is 80% there and waaaaaay too friggin expensive. BUT if you want Leica lenses kickin it at f1.4 and f2 then its the only way to go. I use the Panasonic because it has a Leica lens without all the pretense.

Leica should get out of the camera business and stick to lenses. They also need to use a CMOS chip and dump Kodak.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby redfax » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:57 pm

RYP wrote:M9 Is 80% there and waaaaaay too friggin expensive. BUT if you want Leica lenses kickin it at f1.4 and f2 then its the only way to go. I use the Panasonic because it has a Leica lens without all the pretense.

Leica should get out of the camera business and stick to lenses. They also need to use a CMOS chip and dump Kodak.

Uh, the lenses are made by Panasonic, and Leica sends them a bunch of stickers put in front of them, in exchange for a ton of money. Well that and they supposedly do camera control (which the Japanese are basically able to do on their own).

The lenses are actually quite good, but so are nikon's and canon's and just about everybody else's for a given price range.

One of the reasons why Leica (-made) glass is so good is that they actually tweak their optical designs for each batch of materials.

Lensmakers buy glass in bulk from third parties (generally Hoya), but you can't get exactly the same properties each time, no matter what you try.
Leica apparently tests each time it receives new material, reoptimizes the design and manufactures to the new specification, so they're all winners.

The result for other companies is that A) the lenses they produce have differing optical properties (which leads to connoisseurs trying to locate exemplars in specific serial number ranges) and B) they are constrained in the optical designs they can choose from (because the design has to allow for some variation in glass specification.

Thath being said, in my experience, most lenses sold today are good enough, especially for the sort of thing you do. Nobody's going to look at a picture of 8 year old kid holding an ak47 and say "Cool, but if only I could count the tree rings on that stump in the background"... :D
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:00 am

I would trade in all my Canon gear for Leica if it weren't for the fact that the gear is just too expensive.
Leica now make a 50mm f. 95 which costs $10,000 bucks. fuck that for a joke. The other thing is that I don't believe an M9 is anywhere near as tough and resilient as my EOS 1ds Mk3 camera..
As far as point and shoots go, I have a Ricoh GR3 which is a beast of a compact. I was going to get the LX3 but the lens barrel distortion put me off...
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby bitchesbrew » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 pm

lightstalker wrote:a 50mm f. 95 which costs $10,000 bucks. fuck that for a joke.

it's bollocks isn't it. it's either light enough to get by with a 1.4..or it's so dark that the shot's crap anyway.
shoot RAW and sort it out later.
bitchesbrew

Postby felspar » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:40 am

Canon's 50mm f1.0 sell for ~$3000 when they come up on eBay. Supposed to be soft wide open though
felspar

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!