Sony Ericsson Mobiles

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Sony Ericsson Mobiles

Postby ElPeregrino » Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Since my Blackberry Pearl is starting to get a bit on the beaten to hell side, not to mention the relatively high cost of Blackberry service thru ATT, I'm looking for a new phone. After having the Blackberry with its thousands of irrelevant and outdated (now that the iPhone/iTouch has been released) features, I think I just want a more simplified device: something with a good camera, at least tri- but preferably quad-band functions, unlocked so that I can pop in a SIM card when I'm traveling through Europe/North Africa/Middle East over the next two years or so. After a bit of searching, I've decided that I like Sony Ericsson's phones the best, specifically the C-902 and the C-510.

Does anyone have experience with these phones? I specifically want to be sure all of the messaging services (SMS and MMS) will work with a standard ATT plan (that has enabled both features of course). My past mobiles have all operated on the same bandwidths that the Sonys use, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I'd greatly appreciate any info. you might have.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Re: Sony Ericsson Mobiles

Postby Chimborazo » Sun May 03, 2009 12:07 am

I had an older unlocked one that looked similar to the second one you linked. I loved that phone...it was compact, fairly feature rich (for what I wanted), had good reception, and was simple to use. I got it off of eBay.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ElPeregrino » Sun May 03, 2009 1:05 am

Chimborazo wrote:I had an older unlocked one that looked similar to the second one you linked. I loved that phone...it was compact, fairly feature rich (for what I wanted), had good reception, and was simple to use. I got it off of eBay.

Whatever I buy I'll pick up from either eBay or Amazon. A penny saved is a penny earned you know. Thanks for the input though!

—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby khalampre » Sun May 10, 2009 8:55 am

I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun May 10, 2009 5:54 pm

if you drop a Sony phone it is history, also it uses sony’s proprietary operating system meaning you will never find good aps for it

Go with a Nokia, it’s the best and toughest phone in the world, I just bought another one this week - And it’s the only brand of phone I buy for my employees

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby ElPeregrino » Sun May 10, 2009 7:32 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:if you drop a Sony phone it is history, also it uses sony’s proprietary operating system meaning you will never find good aps for it

Go with a Nokia, it’s the best and toughest phone in the world, I just bought another one this week - And it’s the only brand of phone I buy for my employees

~JITW

The durability would be an issue, but I was under the impression that Sonys are generally pretty tough. I'm honestly not too worried about apps though, as I don't use too many and when I do I keep them on an iTouch.

Thanks for the Nokia suggestion though, I looked some up and the N82 looks similar to the Sonys I've been considering. Any specific info on them?

Thanks again for the help.

—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby Dabbi » Mon May 11, 2009 5:52 am

the new sonys fucking suck, i really mean it

the software is counter intutive

the build quality is horrible and their most rugged phone cant survive getting damp for five minutes

go for a cheap nokia with a decent enough camera
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

I know it's not what you're looking for, but I've had a Nokia E71 for about 7 months and am very happy with it.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!