Suunto X9

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Suunto X9

Postby rdkll » Wed May 27, 2009 8:56 am

i'm a satisfied customer of Suunto diving computers.

Lately i've been looking into the X9 for dry adventures . has anyone here ever used one ? i'm especially interested in real world battery life, not advertising bs.

thank you
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Re: Suunto X9

Postby Woodsman » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 pm

The x9 is no longer in production, so either buy a used one or get their newer version, the X10.

Suunto makes the best field compasses (KB14) and quality clinometers I have used - though as with many companies, I think they could do a whole lot more than they are with their products. I bought their vector when it was first out. I loved the idea of having an accurate compass (and it is surprisingly accurate) and decent altimeter on my wrist (as a backup), but alas it wasn't very long before the water "resistant" seal failed somewhere on the watch (maybe a year or two) and now it has permanent moisture in the unit. It was 200 bucks. Plus it LOOKS like a tech watch.

I'm looking at their site right now. Their newer core is pretty cool looking.

...but it definitely needs a different (black) wristband.

I wish they offered a titanium finish on their watches. It doesn't have to be titanium, just a titanium finish over stainless steel. The timex expedition I have is a nice looking watch (in my opinion)...

...and die-hard (I swear this thing can't be killed, save for the battery dying) - but it's lacking a lot of the features the Suunto has.

Why oh why can't Suunto make their bezels just a little smaller in diameter so you don't go around looking like you have a hockey puck on your wrist?

I still have my Suunto watch, and maybe I'll repair it - not sure...they send you some repair log number to send it in, which is kind of a pita. Anyway, I hope their current watches hold up better than the vector.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed May 27, 2009 2:09 pm

I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Woodsman » Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 pm

read the reviews on the X10. Funny. Doesn't look like things have changed much...

http://www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-X10.pro

You will see that there are mixed reviews - some good, some bad. I've found that unless you have owned the product a month or more, it's hard to review something with any accuracy. I think it's funny that some of these military guys are raving about the watch, but people without listing their use have some complaints. My guess is the military guys are reviewing it a week after they get it? My general opinion is they offer outstanding tech features, but are a little less than durable in the field.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Cold - but that's ugly as shit! LOL
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Sat May 30, 2009 7:19 pm

suunto makes awesome watches. i am military, have used it overseas, and my vector has lasted me through a battery change. i've had this watch nearly 4 years and it is extremely durable. the compass is decent, although i only use it as a backup. honestly, a simple $5 watchband compass you can get any outdoor store will suffice (can't really imagine why'd you'd need something more accurate unless its work related); just slip it around your digital watch and you're good. i also haven't found the altimeter temperature functions as reliable.

i know people who use the X9. can't comment on the battery life (actually heard it burns up pretty quick on GPS mode - the main reason i decided not to buy one), but be wary of GPS devices. if you are a serious traveler i would recommend nothing less than a good handheld one, with the watch as a backup. the issue is the reception is likely to be poor, so unless you have a clear line of sight to the sky, you may not even get a reading - some of the lower end garmins i've used are near useless in wooded areas, or take FOREVER to get a reading. also the handheld one will have lots more options and you'll be able to download maps and other stuff onto them. if the X9 is usb powered (if i remember) that may be an issue if you don't have an outlet - another reason to get a GPS fed by batteries since you can pack a few extra of those. finally, a handheld GPS comes in handy when driving (if your car doesn't have a built in nav system).
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby rdkll » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:45 am

thanks all,

seems like the suunto is not what i'm looking for.
what handheld gps would you recommend for a three weeks hike without re-supply? i need it more for positioning than for navigation, i'm thinking of using the gps mode maybe 3 times a day.
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:57 pm

rdkll wrote:thanks all,

seems like the suunto is not what i'm looking for.
what handheld gps would you recommend for a three weeks hike without re-supply? i need it more for positioning than for navigation, i'm thinking of using the gps mode maybe 3 times a day.

Depends where you expect you will be. If you're under heavy canopy or areas where there is extreme topography (high cliffs, etc.), I'd think about having a unit that has a jack built in so it can accept active external antennas - and then of course purchasing an external antenna.

If you're in mixed cover or on land where you are sure you will be able to get unencumbered access to the sky, just get a Garmin E-trex type unit (the Legend is a nice unit). Get one that will preferably be able to transfer information from/to a P.C. so you can load a solid map base. Also, check map bases for where you would be interested in traveling to (internationally) as well.

I wouldn't bother with anything but Garmin. Those folks have been very good to me from a business level - they've given me a few freebies over the years and customer service has been excellent.

I have and use a Garmin GPSmap76C, which is an "older" unit now (it doesn't use SD cards). It is an excellent unit. I have used it with two different models of active external GPS antennas, both allow enough of an advantage in gain to get the DGPS signals through canopy (though you can't always).

Don't bother getting one with a built in compass. If you're in the bush, you should have a couple good compasses with you - and they charge a lot for battery powered compass that is inferior to quality magnetic hand-held units.

FTR, all of these tools (watch, gps, compass, etc.) are all work-related for me. They probably won't be for most.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 pm

I agree, I am a fan of Garmin myself.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:28 am

I'd like to get a Garmin but most of the places I go don't have a useful map to download and their World base map looks shit
for Afghanistan or Burma or a small host of other weird-assed places.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby redharen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:03 pm

You might be OK in Afghanistan, or at least be able to buy software that makes up for what the base map is missing, since the military buys a lot of GPS stuff. But the world base map does suck. In the Negev I was a dot in a featureless sea of tan, despite the manufacturer's claim that the map contained topographic info for that whole area. I'd bet anything it would be the same for Burma.

It reminded me of the "Welcome to Nowhere" cartoon in Mad Magazine, where there was a little dot in the middle of the page and said, "You are here."
redharen
small ax

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!