Satelite telephones, anyone?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby media » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:27 pm

aghh..That Globestar doesnt include Panama, Costa Rica and parts of Carib. Does anyknow know of one that will allow me access to N. America, Central Amereica, Carribean, and S. America?
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:20 pm

Holding my new brick R290, manual(s) in English, Spanish and Portugese from december 1999, also included 2 batteries, charger with 3 different sockets.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:07 am

Anybody kow anything about this sat phone. Got it off spymaster.com out of London....just curious

Worldphone Mini -
M Satellite Telephone

Small, light and economical to use, the Worldphone offers voice, fax and data communication from anywhere in the world. Operating from the Inmarsat-3 spot beam system, this unit has built-in rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries and a detachable antenna which also acts as a telephone cover. Hands- free and multi-lingual display are included, a built-in user-friendly phone book plus many more features.

Size: 57 x 260 x 260mm
Weight: 2.4kgs

Size:
57 x 260 x 260mm

Weight:
2.4kg

Thanks y'all,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:30 pm

Seem outdated, my R290 weighs 350 grams.
What´s the price?
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:40 am

MiketheHack Wrote:

The one distinct advantage the Mini M has over the Thuraya is that it comes with a long cable that attaches to the antenna.The reason I mention this is because it is useful when you need to file,call someone or transmit stuff under fire.

With a Thuraya you need to be close to a window or large hole in the wall.I'm talking from uncomfortable experience here,otherwise it's simply a matter of horses for courses.Some of the snappers prefer the Mini-M,others the Thuraya.Personally I go for the Thuraya,but mainly because of it's size and weight.

The Mini-M is fine if you don't have to manpack all your gear and you know where you can find a reliable and available power source.It's good for those who are well paid,well equipped and well planned.I believe it has a faster transmission rate too.

One thing to bear in mind is that while a satphone is the ultimate poseurs toy (it really pisses off the yuppie cell phone crowd at your local wine bar),you should remember that 95% of the world has cellphone coverage and buying a 'pay as you go' or renting a cellphone is far cheaper.

As for security,do your homework in advance and learn to speak in code to those on the otherside.If you need to file,send photos etc,talk to the local journo's in the area or someone from the international crowd who has just come back from there.

Satphones are a piece of kit I don't carry willingly.It implies hard work and being sent to the backside of nowhere.IE no McDonalds.

Alessandro,
I cannot find the price yet but I am still looking ....anyways, MiketheHack has used this phone and the above is what he had to say about it!

Cheers,
dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:12 am

I wonder if the satelite telephone companies will make a lot of money from
the tsunami?
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:58 pm

Got an email from globalstar, they´ll launch a pre-paid card in october or november, lovely....
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!