Camcorder Questions

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Camcorder Questions

Postby Fenrisco » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks, point well noted.

...600+ dead in Taiwan last month, rescue chopper crashes, villages cut off, USMC coming in to provide aid and piss off the PRC fuckers (a doubly noble calling)... I feel like a bit of an eejit for being happy we live in a mountain-protected area, and that I got away with a nasty drive up the coast scrambling for home as Typhoon Morakot slammed in. Need to get amongst it a bit more.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Moving around a natural disaster area or just before a storm hits can be very similar to moving thru a conflict zone. Road blocks placed at random, people buying and hoarding all the fuel, fresh water and beanie weenies they can get their hands on, local govt issuing orders and nobody paying any attention, random shit flying thru the air like; lawn chairs, VW's, and 2x4's, a 4 wheel drive is required, cell phones no longer work, oh ya then the real stuff starts after the storm.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Magic Wombat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:20 am

I was kinda thinking...

I agree with you that the bulk of the story happens after the storm. However, isn't most peoples footage from post-storm? It seems like everyone and their grandma is walking around with a camera after the storm. Since the actual storm happens in such a short time frame, wouldn't actual storm footage be more rare, and thus more valuable then post-storm footage? (wow, I used the word "storm" 6 times in that paragraph)

And I am speaking in terms of personal monetary benefit. What would be the best way to benefit the community or society in general going after storms with a camera? Just raising awareness for the next storm?

BTW, this thread is full of win.
Magic Wombat
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:31 am

Check out http://typhoonfury.com/

I noticed this typhoon-chaser (in my neck of the woods) while checking out the new beamups.com distribution/sales service. Looks useful, if it reaches the market they claim, but they hack off 35% commission on sales so if you have the time, skills and contacts to sell your work elsewhere I imagine you may be better off doing so.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Magic Wombat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 am

I dunno, a 35% commission doesn't seem toooo bad. Some of the stock footage websites I have been looking at take 70% commission.

Of course, if I had the power to move something myself, I wouldn't pay a 35% comish. Yep... need those contacts :P
Magic Wombat
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Wartermark the video post it to youtube and call the news desk at the nets and see if they will take it. When i was on the desk at CNN I would get random calls from folks with video to sell. Some I bought some I didn't. I paid between 200 and 500 USD for most freelance stuff. Now things like the al-qaeda tapes Nic Roberson turned up went for like 35k, planes crashing into the World Trade Center brought 10k( at that time the most ever paid by CNN for amateur footage) but those cases are very rare.
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Magic Wombat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:33 am

What kinda stuff makes the cut? will the "nets" just buy anything, or does it have to be relevant? And in contacting them you just contact the news desk?
Magic Wombat
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes it must have relevance, they do not buy stock footage. They have millions of hours of stock video in their libraries. Something the local affiliate missed, or was not in position to get. Just cause its great video doesn't always mean its sellable. Make sure its steady, was white balanced, and don't use pans and zooms that will give the editor a headache.

NOTE: When selling make sure you know HOW to sell it.

For example if you have 5 white FBI agents beating the shit out of a black 88 year old grandmother on tape or a chopper crashing into a shopping mall and want to sell it here is what you do:

Call the local TV station and offer it to them. Take 150, 200 what ever you agree too. Make sure they are clear they only are buying the rights to air it on THEIR TV STATION, not sister stations or networks.
Then contact the other TV stations in town and offer it to them. If one wants it exclusively then say "OK I should get 150 per station and there are 4 stations in the market if you want it exclusive then pay me 600 and I will not sell to your competition". Then after it airs on local call the network desks and tell them what stations has it and that if CNN wants it the price is lets say $300. They will look at it and say yes or no. Assignment Editors are busy and will not spend a long time negotiating a price. So be realistic and fair in what you are asking. Understand that when you sell to a network they will distribute your video and they have bought the rights to do so.

CNN or FOX or NBC will fix you an agreement and you sign and fax it back. They will usually have it fed from the local affiliate to them meaning less work for you. Expect payment in 90 to 120 days.

CBS: 212 975 4114
ABC 212 456 2700
NBC 201 583 5222
FOX 212 301 3300
CNN 404 827 1500
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Magic Wombat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info Media! As usual, you have been very helpful!
Magic Wombat
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!