Another Backpack Thread - Daypacks

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Another Backpack Thread - Daypacks

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 pm

I'm looking for a daypack that will server me for both hiking and everyday use (back and forth to work with small laptop, running around cities doing stupid tourist shit, etc.). Any suggestions? MOLLE would be nice, but not necessary. And as Woodsman said, no gay colors.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Re: Another Backpack Thread - Daypacks

Postby Caliban » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 pm

http://www.camelbak.com/government-mili ... talon.aspx

thats the latest version of one I have been using for four years in exactly the same way that you suggest you want to.Mineshows no appreciable signs of wear or tear. Obviously I haven't done any of the weird shit that they suggest in their speil, no jumping out of planes with extra ammo or anything...but I have loaded it up with laptop, Canon 1D MkII and a couple of big L lenses and it didn't secumb.

I like it.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:26 am

What I wound up with is a Mountainsmith Needle, which is about the same size as the Camelbak above. The one I have is all black, and it's built pretty tough. It's been with me for around 5000 miles of trips so far this summer, but one of these weekends I am seriously going to abuse it. I haven't abused it too badly so far. One of the best things I like about it is that the top detaches for use as a fanny pack/extra small day pack, so if you ever overload the hell out of it and want to just take a fanny pack with you to some place, it's like having two packs in one.

I wound up putting a camebak 3L fully insulated bladder & tube in mine for 3 season use.

Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Caliban, I looked at the Talon, but it's a bit bigger than I want, as I already have the BFM pack (a few liters bigger). It's also more than I wanted to spend. Looks like a great pack though. If I didn't already have the BFM, I would have gotten the Talon.

Woodsman, I really like that pack, but I don't want a top loading pack because when traveling and running around town, I tend to go into my pack quite a bit (versus actually hiking, where I wouldn't really need to).

So, I decided on the 5.11 RUSH 24 backpack. Seems to be just the size I'm looking for at 33 liters (30 in main, 3 in front compartment). Hopefully it's a tough little pack.

Thanks again!
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Remember, whatever you get, get bright purple.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Purple doesn't match my eyes, and it's sooooooooo last season.

By the way, what's a sfliff? Is that a joint with some sort of other goodies mixed in?
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

lol - maybe he means spliff? (a joint)
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:34 am

I've been using the Maxpedition Versipack http://www.lapolicegear.com/maxpedition-sitka-gearslinger.html

Very accessible on the move and lots of pockets.
Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!