DPX H.E.S.T.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: DPX H.E.S.T.

Postby lmetrucking » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 am

Has anyone found a good aftermarket carry for the DP HEST? Neck or belt? Love the molle, but not appropriate for every situation. I used it for 2 months in Iraq, and then put it on my bug-out bag for hiking in the states. Now I am going where concealed carry would be the only way that I can use it so my bag carry is out. Any input appreciated.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby JLR » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:51 pm

lmetrucking wrote:Has anyone found a good aftermarket carry for the DP HEST? Neck or belt? Love the molle, but not appropriate for every situation. I used it for 2 months in Iraq, and then put it on my bug-out bag for hiking in the states. Now I am going where concealed carry would be the only way that I can use it so my bag carry is out. Any input appreciated.

I just received my HEST this week. I ordered a Tek-Lok with it, only to discover that the Kydex sheath isn't drilled for it. If you need deep concealment, you might consider the MercHarness for an inexpensive solution. Personally, I might look into an IWB belt loop option that will accept a tucked shirt, as this mode of carry works well with my longer and wider Blackhawk Razorback sheath.
JLR

Postby Karma117 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Received mine two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. Currently using the cord that came with the knife to keep it on my belt. No doubt the best knife I've ever owned. Funny story, a very kind police man tried very hard to convince me that it was illegal and that he had to confiscate it, but didn't need to arrest me for illegal possession of a weapon. I think he wanted it on his utility belt.
Karma117

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Karma117 wrote:Received mine two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. Currently using the cord that came with the knife to keep it on my belt. No doubt the best knife I've ever owned. Funny story, a very kind police man tried very hard to convince me that it was illegal and that he had to confiscate it, but didn't need to arrest me for illegal possession of a weapon. I think he wanted it on his utility belt.

So how did it end?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Karma117 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:46 am

Well, luckily (this is going to sound ridiculous) I've already been arrested for that charge before! I told him that, that i knew for a fact the law says 5.5" and that if he tried to take my knife I would try to take his badge. A tad dramatic, I know, but it worked. Ha.
Karma117

Postby RYP » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 pm

If you check back towards the end of Sept or Early November we are going to take the folks that don't have the funds in place for the DPx HEST/F and resell those at DPxGear.com. They will go quickly but I will mention it here first.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby cowboycraig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:18 am

BUZKASHI wrote:I would love to order one. But Rat Cutlery is sold out, and according to an e-mail with Mike Perrin they do not sell to the public directly. Of course he did drop me a couple sites that sell Rat Cutlery knives, and told me to reply back if I had any trouble finding it.. But, my luck, niether one sells the DPX HEST.

I understand that I am SOL on getting a numbered, signed one, that is fine, I'll take a regular one. So, where the Hell is people getting them at.

http://www.dpxgear.com/ See that big SOLD OUT dogtag? Tells me something.

Any ideas? I don't wish to post the email that Mike sent me, as I do not believe in doing that sort of thing. Not that there was anything private or top secret in it.

Before I hit him back, I just want to know where it is being bought from currently buy people buying it.

Check here: http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50935&start=45#p497484

CC
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:20 am

RYP wrote:If you check back towards the end of Sept or Early November we are going to take the folks that don't have the funds in place for the DPx HEST/F and resell those at DPxGear.com. They will go quickly but I will mention it here first.

Poop, but that makes me want to cancel my order for the standard, and keep a lookout for the nicer one. Hmm, what to do.

Craig
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:48 pm

lmetrucking wrote:Has anyone found a good aftermarket carry for the DP HEST? Neck or belt? Love the molle, but not appropriate for every situation. I used it for 2 months in Iraq, and then put it on my bug-out bag for hiking in the states. Now I am going where concealed carry would be the only way that I can use it so my bag carry is out. Any input appreciated.

make yo own sheath:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Fenrisco » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:22 am

lmetrucking wrote:Has anyone found a good aftermarket carry for the DP HEST? Neck or belt?

Assuming the stock HEST sheath is similar to Randall's RC-4/ESEE-4, use a static-line/belt loop setup at your hip, arranged so the pommel sits just below the waistband; a short, thickly-knotted piece of paracord through the lanyard hole will keep it riding the right way up, as long as your waistband/belt is reasonably tight*. All that is visible is the loop of paracord around your belt, and perhaps part of the lanyard. You can also of course pull the rig up to ride above the waistband for a quicker draw if you are wearing a cover garment, or in a place where concealment isn't so important.

Kind of like what this guy is doing in the final picture (but with the addition of the aforesaid knotted lanyard to keep it riding vertically and make the draw much easier):

http://burnleyknives.blogspot.com/2010/03/alright-guys-heres-quick-rundown-of-how.html

The RC-4 is so comfortable carried this way I forget I'm wearing it, and it hardly prints at all under jeans (any stuff in your trouser pocket will assist in blending ), so the HEST should be even more comfortable and concealable. The RC-4's kydex sheath is absolutely perfect for this kind of carry (if you thread the cord through all the available holes in the sheath it will help to keep the rig steady).

* A loose waistband will allow the blade to slip down the leg and invert. An overtight waistband will cause the blade to disengage the sheath prematurely; this is less dangerous than it sounds since if the knife is at your hip, blade forward, you are only likely to slice through your belt and cause your trousers to fall down; you probably won't cut your flesh. That said, I strongly advise against using your other hand to assist the draw by holding the waistband, it's a good way to get a nice deep gash on your thumb during the draw, and those Randall blades are sharp as hell.

For the above reason, trying this mode of carry anywhere further forward than the side of the hip is to invite a visit from Ms. Ivana Sliceyakokov.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:46 pm

RYP wrote:If you check back towards the end of Sept or Early November we are going to take the folks that don't have the funds in place for the DPx HEST/F and resell those at DPxGear.com. They will go quickly but I will mention it here first.

I canceled my Sterile one, and will hold out for the numbered fancy one. Will be watching, hope to jump in time, this time.

Craig
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for the links JITW and Fenrisco. Made my own sheath and have become a fan of the static line carry method. Static line carry is cool due to how adjustable it is. Your right, once you get used to it you hardly know it's there.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!