DPX H.E.S.T.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: DPX H.E.S.T.

Postby autobaan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 pm

great review, awesome knife
autobaan

Postby Jezcruzen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 pm

I just ordered one today... strictly for the bottle opener, of course!
Jezcruzen

Postby JOHN O » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 am

OK, I'll give one a try. ;)
Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby BUZKASHI » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 pm

I would love to order one. But Rat Cutlery is sold out, and according to an e-mail with Mike Perrin they do not sell to the public directly. Of course he did drop me a couple sites that sell Rat Cutlery knives, and told me to reply back if I had any trouble finding it.. But, my luck, niether one sells the DPX HEST.

I understand that I am SOL on getting a numbered, signed one, that is fine, I'll take a regular one. So, where the Hell is people getting them at.

http://www.dpxgear.com/ See that big SOLD OUT dogtag? Tells me something.

Any ideas? I don't wish to post the email that Mike sent me, as I do not believe in doing that sort of thing. Not that there was anything private or top secret in it.

Before I hit him back, I just want to know where it is being bought from currently buy people buying it.
This is not a worthy adversary, a bunch of fig-eaters wearing towels on their heads, trying to find reverse in a Soviet tank. Pacifism is not something to hide behind.
BUZKASHI

Postby redfax » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Hey, pretty cool knife, if I had money I'd probably get one.

A marketing tip: the space inside the sheath can indeed be useful, but I'm not sure I would call it a great place to stash "get-out-of-jail" money. If you succeed in keeping your knife with you into a prison cell, THE BLADE should be your get out of jail card... :D

I would probably say it's a great place to put some charred cotton to use as a tinderbox, combined with the magnesium washer idea (and I think you also need a flint or whatever)

If you ever get around to making a MK2 version, couple of things that would be cool (in order of ease of implementation).

1. Having the Black Flag logo in relief, rather than printed on.

2. Sheath with a hand grip (since that's what you'll probably be using if you want leverage on the prybar).

3. Making the storage space watertight (You could actually squeeze in an o-ring of the right size, and have the handles squeeze on to it. Would steal some space, but hey, it could pop right out if watertight wasn't an issue).

4. Being able to stick the sheath securely to the butt end of the hand grip (gives a little more reach if you're using the wire cutter, or trying to keep some critter away from you).
Last edited by redfax on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Good ideas Red.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby redfax » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:36 pm

I love that the blade is all belly.

The current fashion heavily favors tanto-shaped blades, which of course are great for tip strength if you absolutely have to knife somebody wearing body armor. Problem with that idea is that for many cutting actions you'll be using only one point of contact (where the blade bends upwards), which will lead to that point losing its edge fairly quickly. I was about to buy a crkt KISS,until i realized they only come as tantos.

Actually i kind of like this concept (which of course is meant to serve a completely different need) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0jqcWM-mQ . The blade is nothing special, but its cooler than all the other multitools out there.
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jezcruzen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Ordered mine from ebay. Vendor indicated that he had nine remaining. $99
Jezcruzen

Postby Jezcruzen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 pm

O.K., so I now have a "HEST". It looks nice enough, but how the hell do I rig it for belt carry? I don't wear molle gear everyday, but I would like to carry the knife.
Jezcruzen

Postby JOHN O » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:31 pm

It comes with a belt clip.
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Just the MOLLE clips though, right? I just attached those to my belt.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jezcruzen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:10 pm

Yeah, it just came with the malice clips that attach it to molle gear. Its a PITA trying to use those to attach the sheath to the belt. (Are you listening big guy?)

The RAT3 offers a belt-clip attachment for it's kydex sheath. Looks to be about the same size. Anyone know if that would work on the DEST sheath? I'll order one if it would.
Jezcruzen

Postby JOHN O » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm

My mistake, I figured it would have the same mount as the RAT3.
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:56 pm

I am redoing my place so I get lots of deliveries and the HEST is doing very well as a "moving" tool. I have actually used it to dissamble these weird hybrid cardboard/pallette/pressureboard "crates" and on one box I used the crowbar, wire cutters and blade and removed my wing chair and broke down the packaging to go to the basement with ease.

The opener works really well but since the blade is out I take it slow and move around the bottle cap until it gently pops off.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Caliban » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Kurt wrote:I am redoing my place so I get lots of deliveries and the HEST is doing very well as a "moving" tool. I have actually used it to dissamble these weird hybrid cardboard/pallette/pressureboard "crates" and on one box I used the crowbar, wire cutters and blade and removed my wing chair and broke down the packaging to go to the basement with ease.

The opener works really well but since the blade is out I take it slow and move around the bottle cap until it gently pops off.

Survival furnishing ? Tactical Feng Shui ?
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!