Gadget Makers Can Find Thief, but Don’t Ask

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Gadget Makers Can Find Thief, but Don’t Ask

Postby Atrax » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 pm

thewalrus wrote:The whole point is you don't actually own any books, unlike buying the physical book. You are required to accept a (legally binding in the USA at least) license that gives you a limited right to exchange money for reading the book on a specific device, revocable at any time at amazon's whim.

I have all my shit backed up on my harddrive. In theory you can always just turn off your wireless setting and amazon should'nt be able to fuck with you. Unless they have some kind of remote kill switch.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I've seen a person using a kindle and accosted them with all kinds of questions about it. I "like" the idea - somewhat how I like the idea of the iPod/iTunes. I love books...a lot of my "mad" money goes towards acquiring books - I have a whole small room in my very small house devoted to storing my books (along with a very comfy chair and reading lamp). And there is the conundrum. Storing and moving them. The person I spoke with loved the kindle. I was pleasantly surprised that it was reasonably readable - and this was 3 years ago when it was in its earlier permutation. It isn't quite where I'd want it to be yet for me to buy one - but I see the value of e-readers in general when the concept has matured a bit (i.e. high res color, durability etc). Unless the apocalypse occurs I do see a device of this sort in my future. Unlike the iPod/iTunes pairing I can't take my existing books and enter them easily into the device like I did burning my existing CDs into iTunes. Which makes me sad.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:36 am

If they toughened the things up it would be a valuable field research tool.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!