Third world solar

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Third world solar

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Obviously electricity sucks in much of the "third world". I've been working on some solar power projects lately and thought I'd share one very useful link from a market research company in Germany.

Check the drop in price (Euro/watt) for solar panels over the past year, click any of the four charts:

http://www.pvxchange.com/en/index.php/preisindex_2.html

Solar panels are about 60% of the installed cost of an off grid (battery based) solar power system. Right now you can buy 210W panels in the US for under $400 a piece, that's half the price they were a year ago.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Re: Third world solar

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

I like burning coal, its as easy as flipping a switch

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby kilroy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 am

shit's in german, yo. care to tell an anglo what it means?
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:22 am

Wow, it's great that panels are getting that cheap. I hate hearing about projects proposing to scrape a big patch of desert clean when they can be installed at point of use.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 am

ktrout wrote:Wow, it's great that panels are getting that cheap. I hate hearing about projects proposing to scrape a big patch of desert clean when they can be installed at point of use.

Like the grandiose Saharan solar power scheme?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:36 am

vagabond wrote:
ktrout wrote:Wow, it's great that panels are getting that cheap. I hate hearing about projects proposing to scrape a big patch of desert clean when they can be installed at point of use.

Like the grandiose Saharan solar power scheme?

I haven't heard of that. I know a lot of people want to build them in California and Nevada's deserts. Uh, guys, plants and animals live there and people like to visit.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:26 pm

On the very large scale it's more economical to install them on a big patch of empty desert. Rooftop installation (for example, covering the roof of a Californian Home Depot with 240W panels) is more labor intensive and costly per square meter of panel mounted than doing a massive greenfield ground mount installation on a patch of empty, flat desert. Set up one team doing concrete foundations, a second team bolting together the mounts, and a third team putting the panels on racks. There are also economies of scale in panel purchase (ten 40' connexes full of those 240W panels will be cheaper than one 20'), and in the DC to AC inverters.

I wouldn't propose paving over Joshua Tree national park and covering it with panels but there -are- some truly desolate parts of the world that won't be terribly affected by the installation of a 200MW solar farm. Parts of the western end of the Taklamakan desert, for example. At this point anything China does to produce power has to be better than the alternative, burning coal....
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!