Affordable Leica

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Affordable Leica

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri May 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Film is gay

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Royal » Fri May 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Calling things gay....is gay.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby tdin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:16 am

Any experiences with mounting Leica M or R lenses on Nikon or Canon bodies? Digital and/or film?
tdin

Postby coldharvest » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:28 am

tdin wrote:Any experiences with mounting Leica M or R lenses on Nikon or Canon bodies? Digital and/or film?

use an adapter ring
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:14 am

"Any experiences with mounting Leica M or R lenses on Nikon or Canon bodies? Digital and/or film?"

dude, you are so 1965... nobody pays thousands of dollars for Leica glass on a jap body. Especially digital where the camera can actually compensate for lens faults.

Your best bet is to buy a 400 Panasonic and go crazy. 10 rolls of film will pay for it. As for digital SLR's most 3/4 formart cameras will do just fine. In fact a Nikon D70 takes equally good photos for most people's use as a Nikon 700 or D3.

If you are looking for serious glass and resoluton you should stick to Leica M stuff with old Panatomic X. But you won't find anything other than a art gallery where you can use that resolution.

If you are a film freak then you should leave 35mm behind and go for 8" X 10" Velvia. I shot that for a while but couldn't handle the resolution.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby lightstalker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:39 am

RYP wrote:If you are a film freak then you should leave 35mm behind and go for 8" X 10" Velvia. I shot that for a while but couldn't handle the resolution.

That, and 8x10 Astia were discontinued some time ago. Alot of film has been discontinued including a favorite of mine: 120 Neopan 400.
I still shoot Black and white film. Primarily Tri-x and some Neopan. The dynamic range of traditional B&W film is superior to digital.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby tdin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 pm

RYP wrote:"Any experiences with mounting Leica M or R lenses on Nikon or Canon bodies? Digital and/or film?"

dude, you are so 1965... nobody pays thousands of dollars for Leica glass on a jap body. Especially digital where the camera can actually compensate for lens faults.

Your best bet is to buy a 400 Panasonic and go crazy. 10 rolls of film will pay for it. As for digital SLR's most 3/4 formart cameras will do just fine. In fact a Nikon D70 takes equally good photos for most people's use as a Nikon 700 or D3.

If you are looking for serious glass and resoluton you should stick to Leica M stuff with old Panatomic X. But you won't find anything other than a art gallery where you can use that resolution.

If you are a film freak then you should leave 35mm behind and go for 8" X 10" Velvia. I shot that for a while but couldn't handle the resolution.

Thanks for the input; I actually shoot with a Canon DSLR. I am not, nor have I ever been, a Leica user, so I am obviously in the dark. I was messing around with an older Olympus Zuiko lens mounted to a full frame Canon body and the image results were rad. So comparatively, I was curious if anyone on here had done so with a Leica to Japanese body - but you make a good point. Ill stick to Canon L glass for now and hopefully an M9 in the future (when money grows in trees).
tdin

Postby RYP » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Two cameras that would impress you the Panasonic LX3 which is set up for low light, open aperture shooting with Leica designed glass and the Panasonic video cameras which have that same contrast and snap at open f-stops. For around $400 they are small enough to have just for artsy B&W or grab shots.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/panas ... s/3qtr.jpg
RYP

Postby tdin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 pm

RYP wrote:Two cameras that would impress you the Panasonic LX3 which is set up for low light, open aperture shooting with Leica designed glass and the Panasonic video cameras which have that same contrast and snap at open f-stops. For around $400 they are small enough to have just for artsy B&W or grab shots.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/panas ... s/3qtr.jpg

I dig that little Panasonic LX3. 24mm at 2.0 is pretty sweet for a P&S and you don't seem to be the only one who justifies its capabilities; I might look into it.

On a side note, do you have an opinion on Panasonic's digital rangefinder - the DMC-GF1?
tdin

Postby RYP » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Its bigger, more expensive and the clunky slow /enses aren't Leica. Seems to be going in the wrong direction if you ask me. The LX3 is made for Leica style shooting. I have a 21/28 finder from my Ricoh GR and it works fine. Its got a fast wide lens and a chip made for good pics in low light. And its the size of a cigarette pack...

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Panas ... panas2.jpg
RYP

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!